Gibson Brands Forums

My Dot came with 2 of the same pups!?!

So I noticed this awhile ago, and have been meaning to mention it here. When I pulled my pups from my Dot, I noticed the little stickers on the back read that both pups were "57" neck humbuckers". I put them on the ohm meter and there was literally no difference in ohmage.

My Dot is one of the music123 exclusives they had awhile back in the vintage sunburst, flamed maple top, block inlays.

Has anyone else noticed this? I guess I figure they must have run out of bridge pups...so they threw neck pups in.

Or is this a top secret custom mod of some sort from the factory to provide a tone unlike other Dots? I wonder.

Also, HUGE props to Zeek for helping me out in my time of need. Thanks again big time. You da man, eh!

None of the above. If you read the specs on the Dot you'll see that this is the standard practice for guitars such as the Dot, Sheraton and the Lucille. Note how the stickers on the pickups even state this.

There's still a difference between the two; one will have an 'F' stamped on the base and the other will hane an 'R'; and the pole spacing will be wider on the 'R' pickup.

my Cherry Block limited edition was the same .I swapped them out and sold them .I put in Tonerider Rocksongs which have a hotter bridge .It can still be played all soft ,warm and jazzy which I play most of the time but the bridge cuts in with a fine bluesey bark on overdrive even on an old Fender SS amp.

Archived