Gibson Brands Forums

Overseas Monitor question

51xt33

I'm going to Uganda East Africa for 2 weeks in June on a mission trip. Part of what we are doing is playing at least 7 concerts at conferences in various citites. We'll open up the conferences and play about an hour. Then the speakers will speak along with a couple of skits mixed in. We will close the conferences with another hour or so set. We already have some sound equipment lined up and an engineer to run it. But there will not be any monitors so we can hear ourself. At church, we use NADY P.E.M.s. but won't be able to take them as they will still be needed at the church.

I know that there are some musicians on this forum that have alot of experience. What would be some cheap options for monitors or advise on what we should do? Each of us will be taking 1 suitcase and then our instruments as luggage. the singers will use their second suit case to carry other material that we will need.

thanks in advance for your help.

it kinda depends on what you want your monitors to do.

If they are to carry the full band, or just vocals.

Years ago a guy in my band had a bunch of eminence speakers he didn't think were good enough for any of his guitar cabs.

12".

I made plywood angled boxes for them, thin stuff, too..

and he said it was the best monitor he ever heard.

And I had 15" 3 way carvins before we used this.

I built those in an afternoon with a jigsaw and elmers glue. I used the sawdust to mix with glue and seal the sloppy cuts.

then I painted them brown with some paint that was in the basement of the house when we moved in.

So for vocal monitors.. I feel that a 12" speaker pointed up will do the job.

that's about as cheap as it gets, I think.

We played a ton of gigs with those things, too.

I'm going to Uganda East Africa for 2 weeks in June on a mission trip. Part of what we are doing is playing at least 7 concerts at conferences in various citites. We'll open up the conferences and play about an hour. Then the speakers will speak along with a couple of skits mixed in. We will close the conferences with another hour or so set. We already have some sound equipment lined up and an engineer to run it. But there will not be any monitors so we can hear ourself. At church' date=' we use NADY P.E.M.s. but won't be able to take them as they will still be needed at the church.

I know that there are some musicians on this forum that have alot of experience. What would be some cheap options for monitors or advise on what we should do? Each of us will be taking 1 suitcase and then our instruments as luggage. the singers will use their second suit case to carry other material that we will need.

thanks in advance for your help.[/quote']

The secret to a good monitor mix is knowing how to EQ good monitors! Bad monitors with poor EQ can be worse than none at all! If you are used to an in the ear mix and can come up with a simple plug and play system...PEM's certainly travel well. The deal is that you have to know what the engineer has available for a monitor out on his gear.....if it's a simple single send line out...then a small set of "hotspot" (small powered speakers on a mic stand) might be the easy simple solution. I would say keep it simple. Trying to do too much can get you in trouble and cause feedback etc...

Archived