Gibson Brands Forums

Why are the elitist the elite les paul?

mrjones200x

I know they were very expensive in the UK, even prohibitively so. Perhaps some of our pommy members can give you a more precise answer.

As to what makes them so much better...

pickups (made in USA)

hardware (nickel finish versus chrome)

wood (genuine African mahogany with solid maple caps)

finish (flawless hand-rubbed polyurethane finishes)

dimensions (correct body thickness, accurate body contours, incredible slim taper necks, correct headstock angle (17 degrees, not 14) etc. etc. etc.)

They're simply superior in every way except for the price. A regular Epi LP isn't even in the ballpark.

Things made in the usa normally cost more because of labour cost not always quality. I agree with the wood and finish. Have seen one but not played and it was beautiful. Is nickel just better cos the coating doesnt wear like chrome?

When you say dimentions and angle is that to the standard of a gibson?

Are the electrics better too?

I mean why dont they use a 17 degree on an epi std? just a design change. Does it make much diff.?

Not arguing about there quality cos i know the wood makes a massive difference but most of the other bits are cosmetic. Can they justify the big price. I dont know for sure but was told about £900 which i think is about $1800

Only ment the usa pick ups mate. Dont mean there good cos there from usa. Just exspensive.

Theres more method to the madness than just made in the USA meaning "expensive labor". That is part of it, but of course its the quality of materials used to make the pickup, etc.

As the tittle says;

What makes them so much better than a standard.? How much are they in uk money? (Average)

Thanks

Elitists are more expensive than standard Epiphones because they are made with materials, techniques, and to specifications much closer to Gibson models. They made also made with a degree of craftmanship and attention to detail that some would say is even greater than standard production Gibsons.

For instance, Elitist Les Paul backs are made of solid, genuine African mahogany. A Gibson Les Paul's back is traditionally (but not always) made of tropical or Honduran mahogany, but there is a shortage of the old growth wood, which is held in high esteem by instrument makers. African Mahogany is a very good tone wood and widely accepted substiute. A regular Epi is said to be commonly made of a different wood, lauan, which is ofen called Philippine mahogany. It has some acoustic and visual characteristics of mahagany, but is not the same species of wood, and is a less desireable substitute. Some regular Epis ARE made of African mahogany, but three pieces (and maybe more) are used. An Elitist is usually made from two book-matched pieces. Using as few pieces of wood as possible is preferred in an almost any aspect of instrument construction, as acoustic energy will not be effected by the glue and seams.

The tops of an Elitist Les Paul are solid, book matched, and very attractive maple like a Gibson (latter Plus Top models have a cosmetic veneer, though), where a regular Epi may have an alder or mahogany cap veneered with maple, or a lightly figured maple cap in cases where it is said to be solid, or a sold maple cap with a figured veneer, depending on the model.

Elitists have a one-piece mahogany neck like a Gibson; regular Epis usually have a neck with a joint at or near the headstock, and may even have maple necks.

So, regular Epis (which are fine instruments for the money) are made with a number of small compromises to keep them affordable; fewer of the compromises were that taken with the Elitists, which is why they cost more and perform better. These differences are numerous. It would be pointless to try and spell them all out here, or debate or speculate how they impact tone and playability any further.

The article Svet pointed you to is a good starting point to learn about the Elitists. If you google a specific model, you'll come across reviews that compare them to both stard Epis and Gibsons, which will give you a better picture of how they compare to both, too.

Red 333

NOTE: This post was edited on 4/21 to correct the inadvertant switching of the name Philippine Mahogany with African Mahogany in the original post, and expand the explanation of the differences somewhat. Thanks RotcanX for pointing this out.

Hardware is made in USA by Gibson. Pickups are generally believed to be Gibson 498t-490R combo.

Guitar is made in Japan.

In addition to what has been said:

-One piece Quartersawn neck wood

-Bone nut

-Real M.O.P. inlays

-Solid bodies (No weight relief holes or chambering)

-Long neck tenon

They are outstanding guitars worthy of being compared to their American cousins. They are much closer to Gibsons in quality and performance than they are to standard Epis. Many folks prefer Elitists to Gibsons. Many don't. I think the fact that a debate rages at all speaks highly of the Elitists.

This is not to slam standard Epis or make any other claims. Not trying step on any toes.

Hardware is made in USA by Gibson. Pickups are generally believed to be Gibson 498t-490R combo.

They are outstanding guitars worthy of being compared to their American cousins. They are much closer to Gibsons in quality and performance than they are to standard Epis. Many folks prefer Elitists to Gibsons. Many don't. I think the fact that a debate rages at all speaks highly of the Elitists.

Agreed.

Red 333

Hardware is made in USA by Gibson.

-Real M.O.P. inlays

Only the pickups are made in USA. The rest of the hardware looks to be Japanese, most likely Gotoh.

You only get MOP on some of the guitars; my LP and SG have the 'mother of toilet seat' inlays, just like the real Gibsons.

For instance' date=' Elitist Les Paul backs are made of solid, genuine mahogany, the traditional wood a Les Paul's back is made of. A regular Epi is made of a different wood (though commonly called African Mahogany) that has some acoustic and visual characteristics of mahagany, but is not mahogany.[/quote']

No no no no no.

The Elitists are made with solid African mahogany; Gibson uses South American mahoganies. Regular Epis are Philippine 'mahogany' (note eyebrows) with a veneer of African mahogany. African mahogany is considered to be a 'true' mahogany but the Philippine stuff isn't.

No no no no no.

The Elitists are made with solid African mahogany; Gibson uses South American mahoganies. Regular Epis are Philippine 'mahogany' (note eyebrows) with a veneer of African mahogany. African mahogany is considered to be a 'true' mahogany but the Philippine stuff isn't.

You are right. I had a brain freeze when I typed that last bit. I will edit my post above.

best way to really understand is to play one...

or, pic up the best gibson studio or the average standard you can find and play that...then take away the stickiness of the paint, imagine smaller frets and a thinner neck

you are now imagining playing an Elitist, and if the gibson you're holding has the 490R/498T combo...you are hearing an elitist to the point most people wouldn't be able to hear the difference between the gibson and the elitist played by the same person on the same rig

Archived