Korean Riviera Vs Elitist or USA Sheraton Mini-humbuckers

charlie brown

I recently had my (Korean) Riviera out, and did a side by side

comparison, on the pickup's tone, with my "Assembled in USA"

Sheraton. Very similar, but the "Sherri" sounded just a tad

"warmer(?)" for lack of a better description. Used a Fender

Hot Rod Deluxe, as the amp in both cases, at the cleanest

setting. Then, I got out my '76 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe,

as it has "mini's" too, and IT souded more like the Riviera!

I'm assuming, it's because it's a solid body, and therefore

won't be as "warm" sounding as the Sheraton.

Any experiences/thoughts, from you guys/gals?

CB

I recently had my (Korean) Riviera out' date=' and did a side by side

comparison, on the pickup's tone, with my "Assembled in USA"

Sheraton. Very similar, but the "Sherri" sounded just a tad

"warmer(?)" for lack of a better description. Used a Fender

Hot Rod Deluxe, as the amp in both cases, at the cleanest

setting. Then, I got out my '76 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe,

as it has "mini's" too, and IT souded more like the Riviera!

I'm assuming, it's because it's a solid body, and therefore

won't be as "warm" sounding as the Sheraton.

Any experiences/thoughts, from you guys/gals?

CB[/quote']

I have a USA-made '93 Riviera RI with modern Gibson mini hummers and compared to either of my mid-70's Lp Deluxes, the Riviera is much more warm and robust where the LP's are kind of shrill and bite-y unless the pickups are lowered and the volumes and tones backed off...not ''hot sounding'' in a pleasant way..but still ''hot sounding''... so it's possible what exists today as a Gibson mini hummer is different from the earlier incarnations..but..as you said...we're talking a semi versus a solid body which could account for a lot. The Assembled in USA Sheraton probably has whatever they use on the Elitists which I think are pretty close to the Gibson variety in tone. I can't say about the Korean minis as I've never heard any. If I recall my Riviera's pickups were like a 7.6 in the bridge and a 7.2 in the neck which isn't ''hot'' by any stretch but they do ***** slap the front end of the amps I use with it (BFDR or a BF VibroChamp) nicely. One of the guitars I'm currently Jones-ing for is one of those AIUSA Sheratons with a Frequensator. For a while they seemed to be around and available and now have dried up...I know it's just a tarted-up Riviera and I already have a Riviera but I do like the look and I'm not usually a big fan of flash in guitars preferring understated elegance lol...sounds like a car advert lol....but those Sheratons do have something about them well...the Sheraton can just get in line..

...and Al's your uncle.

Yeah, Al...I think you "nailed it," on the description, of the tone of the LP Deluxe vs the Sheri. The Riviera I have,

is actually closer (in warmth and bite) to the Sheri, now that I've done a bit more A/B'ing of both, but still not quite

as warm or "rounded" even, sounding, as the Sheri. The LP Deluxe is one that must have the tone controls

turned back, a bit, or it's just to "harsh"...even "distrorted," but..as you say, not in a good way.

Lowering the pickups did/does help, too. The LP Deluxe, also "squeals" (harmonic feedback) way before either

the Riviera will (rarely) or the Sheri (almost never)! So, it may need to be "looked at," professionally? Who knows?

CB

Yeah' date=' Al...I think you "nailed it," on the description, of the tone of the LP Deluxe vs the Sheri. The Riviera I have,

is actually closer (in warmth and bite) to the Sheri, now that I've done a bit more A/B'ing of both, but still not quite

as warm or "rounded" even, sounding, as the Sheri. The LP Deluxe is one that must have the tone controls

turned back, a bit, or it's just to "harsh"...even "distrorted," but..as you say, not in a good way.

Lowering the pickups did/does help, too. The LP Deluxe, also "squeals" (harmonic feedback) way before either

the Riviera will (rarely) or the Sheri (almost never)! So, it may need to be "looked at," professionally? Who knows?

CB[/quote']One of your pickups is a bit microphonic, that is causing the squealing.

One of your pickups is a bit microphonic' date=' that is causing the squealing.[/quote']

I've yet to meet a single mini humbucker that isn't slightly microphonic...it's because they're constructed slightly different from a full-sized humbucker thus allowing vibrations to occur internally which creates the microphonics....some pickups to a higher degree than others. Depending on other factors..and this could be what's coming into play with the older Minis...the microphonics can either enhance or impede the harmonic resonances and response of the particular pickup...and the lack of lower end response which is often perceived as ''brightness''(as a result of the pickup's size and design) could contribute to the perceived ''hot-ness'' thing. I don't know about waxing them because their construction does make them much more delicate than a full-sized hummer. If I were going to pot them I might send them off to where if someone cocks them up trying to pot them then they replace them...like Seymour...or Lindy...if it's even possible.

...and Al's your uncle.

Ahhhh yes....always something, huh? But, what you're saying, Al and Marx, makes sense. It certainly would

explain not only the "squealing," but the harshness, too. It's strange, because I didn't really notice this

particular phenomenom. until recently. Not sure, if it was because I had (until the recent acquisitions of the Sheri,

and later the Riviera) nothing to compare it too...of similar pickup configuration. It has always sounded more

"Biting" than my other full size humbucker equipped Les Pauls. But, I guess I thought that was still, just part of

the difference, in the two pickup types? The "squealing" started about 2 years ago, seemingly "out of the blue!"

The covers have never been off the pickups, and I've owned it, since it was new in '76! So, I have no idea, what

is going on, there. Output seems the same, volume wise...so, it's not like they are (noticably) weaker, there.

???? Needless to say, I don't play it much, because of the feedback problem...and use another LP when that's

what I'm needing.

CB

Al, or anyone...Are microphonic pickups common? That is, are the mini-more prone, to it, or does the wire on any pickup deteriorate,

enought to cause it, eventually? There used to be a "trend," in the late '60's, of using a reel to reel head demagnitizer,

to try to demagnitize the pickups, for a more "biting" mid range sound. Never did know if that ever worked?! Personally,

I never tried it...didn't want to mess up my Les Paul Custom, as I liked the sound "as it was!" So..???

CB

Archived