Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Custom Shop Acoustic 2001

Ricochet

Errmmm... yeah' date=' I think they forgot something...and I[i'] just know[/i] what that's going to sound like...and I'm not a fan of the piezo acoustic sound.

...and Al's your uncle.

Neither am I(alltho they seem to have improved a lot over the years). But really I don't care if it sounds like A** if it looks this good!

Ivete Sangalo' date=' the most popular singer here in Brazil(don't even get me started), performs live with that guitar: It's called a Les Paul acoustic unless I'm mistaken. Take a listen for yourselves:

Would love one of those but in a VERY optimistic scenario I would just have to settle for a SST...

cheers[/quote']

Edit: from the bridge pins, it's got to be a bronze/steel string. It could be a prop, as the singer doesn't

need too much too in any case, but without an acoustic sound hole of some sort, it

would have to a bridge piezo and plugged in. It could be a battery operated piezo

and wireless transmitter maybe?

Big question is..how much sound projection can come out of a acoustic guitar without a round

sound hole or f-holes. The top will vibrate and generate sound though.

Does Gibson make these now and why?..with so

many beautiful flattops coming out of Bozeman Montana?

without an acoustic sound hole of some sort' date=' it

would have to a bridge piezo and plugged in. It could be a battery operated piezo

and wireless transmitter though. Does Gibson make these now and why?[/quote']

It is plugged in. The transmitter is probably attached to the strap on her back.

Piezos don't need a soundhole for the reproduction of sound. It's the downward force or pressure(forgot the physics-term) from the strings, which converts to signal.

Made in 2001 and discontinued a year later I believe. From then on only available as a custom order.

Note the model in the vintageguitar.com article(a 2004 reprint from 2002) is slightly different. They lost the tigerstripes and added 3 volume/tone knobs. A lot less charming I have to say.

Piezos don't need a soundhole for the reproduction of sound. It's the downward force or pressure(forgot the physics-term) from the strings' date=' which converts to signal.[/quote']

transducer? ..transductance? Piezo is just a fancy name for a crystal pickup that has been around for many

years. They are much better now though. I have a bridge piezo on my classic with

a cool tube preamp (12ax7 type) + equalizer built in running off 4 AA. batteries last

a lot longer than the 9volt on my sustainer.

What i'm interested in..and may be my next winter's project is a marriage of LP shape with the florentine

cutaway and 3 inch thick semi-hollow acoustic chamber with f-holes in the wings. I saw (forget who) play a

custom one of these with Fleetwood Mac.

transducer? ..transductance? Piezo is just a fancy name for a crystal pickup that has been around for many

years. They are much better now though. I have a bridge piezo on my classic with

a cool tube preamp (12ax7 type) + equalizer built in running off 4 AA. batteries last

a lot longer than the 9volt on my sustainer.

What i'm interested in..and may be my next winter's project is a marriage of LP shape with the florentine

cutaway and 3 inch thick semi-hollow acoustic chamber with f-holes in the wings. I saw (forget who) play a

custom one of these with Fleetwood Mac.

Transducer is just the general term for different kind of Piezos I think. Or a reference to the stick-on-types? So I suppose that would be transductance. Or stress or strain. Not sure.

I used the coax type in mine for a headless solid body. Sounded like C**p!

headless.jpg

Did I get it right' date=' you have a tube preamp built-into your classical guitar?? That [i']would[/i] be cool, running on batteries! ;-)

Sounds like an interesting idea. Are you keeping the top clean? I mean except for the ƒ-holes, no PU and knobs and whatnot? Which FM-player? Peter Green or Lindsey Buckingham(sp)?

Did I get it right' date=' you have a tube preamp built-into your classical guitar?? That [i']would[/i] be cool, running on batteries! ;-)

Sounds like an interesting idea. Are you keeping the top clean? I mean except for the ƒ-holes, no PU and knobs and whatnot? Which FM-player? Peter Green or Lindsey Buckingham(sp)?

Yes, Takamine CTP-1. Its got a tuner, and 3 band equalizer built in and a RCA jack for a

second sound hole pickup, which I reall don't need. It's proprietary, so they don't give

any information on how the tube works, but it is very COOL in more ways than one.

Lindsey Buckingham..I believe. I only caught a glimpse of it on the BIO channel, and

I believe it was him. Not sure about keeping the top clean...I do like my vol and tone knobs

in the right places and a 3 way. The acoustical portion would be limited only to the wings

and the 1 inch space directly underneath the walnut tone strip. The big problem is keeping the

weight down..I'm down to 8.5lbs on my..(whistle) project LP and it's a fight to shave off any more

than that, unless I carved the 3/4 inch thick top down to 1/8 "...thats about another 1.5 lb saving.

The acoustical portion would be limited only to the wings

and the 1 inch space directly underneath the walnut tone strip. The big problem is keeping the

weight down..I'm down to 8.5lbs on my..(whistle) project LP and it's a fight to shave off any more

than that' date=' unless I carved the 3/4 inch thick top down to 1/8 "...thats about another 1.5 lb saving.

[/quote']

What is a "tone strip"? A waist and arm-cut might be able to shave off some weight, but I gather that would be a pain to execute on an acoustic. Do you have any information on how Gibson is weight relieving their Les Pauls? If it's a nice top, it would be a shame to take too much off.

Where does the sound come out?

you don`t need any soundhole in acoustic guitars to make a sound but with a hole it´s louder

this"gibbi" is an electroacoustic and good for the stage

if you got a electroacoustic with a soundhole and plugged in you had to take care of feedbacks from the amp or cover the hole

What is a "tone strip"? A waist and arm-cut might be able to shave off some weight' date=' but I gather that would be a pain to execute on an acoustic. Do you have any information on how Gibson is weight relieving their Les Pauls? If it's a nice top, it would be a shame to take too much off.[/quote']

Well, I can't say too much without the risk off this reply getting deleted.

Let's say, I'm building a couple for myself that are based on the 1983 LP Spotlight

Special. If you want to learn more about the unique walnut/maple "Spotlight", there is a

lot more information on the LesP*ulF*rum, which is a privately sponsored site.

Walnut and flame maple combo have a unique tone characteristic..hard to describe..

it's definitely got that special mojo if equipped with the right set of p_ups.

There are pics of the LP Ultra that show what Gibson is doing for weight relief.

They are also being re-issued by the Custom Shop...and may be a worthwhile investment

for those that can afford the $5k.

Archived