Gibson Brands Forums

HP-90???

charlie brown

Yeah Jay, I did too...but that's what a P-100 is, and I just wondered if the HP-90 is just

a name change, by Gibson, for marketing purposes, OR...if it is, in fact, a much "improved,"

newer version. Anyway...thanks, for your response. We'll see if anyone else has more

information? Maybe we'll all learn something.

CB

but that's what a P-100 is

CB

Hmm... In my best Johnny Carson voice I will say "I did not know that sir" (dating myself severely).

I always thought the P-100 was just a variation on a single coil P-90. Hmm... now I'm curious too.

- Jay

Thanks, FrankS

And....is the H-90 a "stacked humbucker" that's masking as a P-90, or a completely different

thing, altogether. I may (actually) have gotten the designation wrong, as to the Gibson, because

I did see something about an HP-90 in reference to a Kent Armstrong pickup that's supposed

to have all the tone/clarity/volume (or better) of a standard P-90, but "no hum/noise!" So...

"My Bad," if what I meant was, in fact, an H-90?

CB

Thanks' date=' FrankS

And....is the H-90 a "stacked humbucker" that's masking as a P-90, or a completely different

thing, altogether. I may (actually) have gotten the designation wrong, as to the Gibson, because

I did see something about an HP-90 in reference to a Kent Armstrong pickup that's supposed

to have all the tone/clarity/volume (or better) of a standard P-90, but "no hum/noise!" So...

"My Bad," if what I meant was, in fact, an H-90?

CB [/quote']

oh oh oh, i've know where i've seen "hp-90" before. that's what they call the pups in the epi goldtops.

Yeah Jay' date=' I did too...but that's what a P-100 is, and I just wondered if the HP-90 is just

a name change, by Gibson, for marketing purposes, OR...if it is, in fact, a much "improved," newer version.

CB[/quote']

Both I guess. The P-100 seems to get unanimously crucified on every forum I visit.

The H-90 pickups are complete P-90 pickups that have an under-wound enamel wire coil stacked below the single coil of the P-90. This provides some hum cancellation and you could use a push/pull pot to split the P-90 from the stacked coil to make it a true single coil P-90 pickup... at least that's the official explanation from Gibson customer service.

The P-100, on the other hand, has 2 coils of approximately similar number of windings and, methinks, not so good characteristics for splitting.

The H-90 pickups are complete P-90 pickups that have an under-wound enamel wire coil stacked below the single coil of the P-90. This provides some hum cancellation and you could use a push/pull pot to split the P-90 from the stacked coil to make it a true single coil P-90 pickup... at least that's the official explanation from Gibson customer service.

The P-100' date=' on the other hand, has 2 coils of approximately similar number of windings and, methinks, not so good characteristics for splitting.

[/quote']

Sounds more like a coil-tap as opposed to the P100's coil-split then?

Both I guess. The P-100 seems to get unanimously crucified on every forum I visit.

Yeah, Ricochet...I read those "opinions" too...but I have 2 Gibson Les Paul Junior Lites

(discontinued several years ago), and they came, with P-100's as standard equipment.

I play them, quite often, and have never had any reason to complain, myself, about their tone or volume.

So...??? Maybe I am not that "picky?"

But, I often get complimented on my "tone" from other players, and even audience members,

so, I've never seen the need to change them. But..."horses for courses," I guess?

CB

Yeah' date=' Ricochet...I read those "opinions" too...but I have 2 Gibson Les Paul Junior Lites

(discontinued several years ago), and they came, with P-100's as standard equipment.

I play them, quite often, and have never had any reason to complain, myself, about their tone or volume.

So...??? Maybe I am not that "picky?"

But, I often get complimented on my "tone" from other players, and even audience members,

so, I've never seen the need to change them. But..."horses for courses," I guess?

CB[/quote']

I wouldn't know. I never played a P100 guitar.:-) But you're right. If it works for you and others, it don't matter what general opinion is.

I also find nothing wrong with the P-100. No, it's not exactly like a P-90 but nonetheless it's fifferent from the standard HBs as well. I find that they give my LP Junior lite a decidedly SG-style tone reminiscent of the SG Specials from the sixties.

LPJL.jpg

Looks good Rotcanx! Yep, that's the same model I have....same color even, as one of them. The other one's black, that I tricked out in Gold hardware! Looks pretty nice! Someday, when I get my camera fixed, and figure out, how to do it, I'll post some photos. The only other thing I did (to both) was put a TP-6 Tailpiece on them, and change tuners, to the standard "tulip" type, found on SG's and Les Pauls.

CB

• 6 years later...

Hi all, this is an old post but I am new to this forum and may have some useful info to add. According to Gruhn's bible, the HP-90 was an "updated later version" of the P90. I have an '84 Explorer III with 3 x HP-90 (again according to George Gruhn) and I always understood the "H" to stand for either high output or high impedance or both. They are certainly NOT stacked humbuckers. The middle one is DOD so I have it out and swapped Lollars in (fabulous) until I can get it rewired. I'll try and upload some photo's - they have clear bobbins and massive winding of fine gauge coated wire.

Archived