Gibson Brands Forums

did you hear

13yguitarman

OK...I wasn't at the Winterland ...but I was at the Grande Ballroom on June 9. 1968...I'm not aware of a ''recording dispute''...unless it was perhaps the rumours and unsubstantiated allegations that there was post-production "enhancement" (over-dubbing) of the solo on a song about a certain intersection in Mississippi ??? (psssst there's always post-production clean up and re-tracking on live stuff) am I close to what you're talking about ?...

According to an EC interview I read years ago, the 'Wheels of Fire' version of 'Crossroads' was editied down, but no overdubbing was involved. He said one of the edits on the second solo was to disguise the fact that he lost the beat and came in at the wrong place.

To give the correct genealogy of the Fool SG:

George Harrison bought it (he's playing it in the promo film for 'Paperback Writer'). He had it painted by the Fool, a group of artists that the Beatles were funding. Their clothing store was the Beatles' first big public business failure...of course, there were the horrible endorsement contracts that Brian Epstein signed in 1964, but nobody found out about that until later...

George gave the painted SG to Eric Clapton, who played it in Cream.

Eric later loaned the guitar to Jackie Lomax, an Apple Records recording artist. Here's where it gets foggy. Eric claimed it was on loan, Jackie claimed Eric gave it to him. Jackie sold the guitar to Todd Rundgren for an undisclosed sum.

Todd played it for years until the guitar became too fragile for touring. He had replicas made, and sold the Fool SG at auction in 2002.

I believe the line is "take a load off Fanny...."

Don't know who Mary is.

Hmmmmm, that sounds right - I remember being corrected on this about 30 years ago (I had thought it was "Annie," which is at least close, what with the f from "off" blending with the F from "Fannie," making "Annie" sound at least within the realm of possibilities, no ?)

Hmmmmm' date=' that sounds right - I remember being corrected on this about 30 years ago (I had thought it was "Annie," which is at least close, what with the f from "off" blending with the F from "Fannie," making "Annie" sound at least within the realm of possibilities, no ?) [/quote']

I bet a lot of people thought the same as you.

"George Harrison bought it (he's playing it in the promo film for 'Paperback Writer'). He had it painted by the Fool"

this is not correct; george played his SG standard with maestro during the "revolver" sessions in 1966...this is the guitar that

appears in the "paperback writer" and "rain" promo films...serial # 227666, left the gibson factory on 10/9/64...

played throughout 1968 and then given to badfinger's pete ham in approximately 1969...this guitar was never painted, nor

was the bigsby removed...

lennon had his J-160E painted by the fool, and clapton gave the lucy les paul to harrison...this is probably where the internet

confusion comes from...

source: beatles gear

http://www.thecanteen.com/harrison8.html

Q: Where is Clapton's famous psychedelic SG guitar from his days with the band Cream?

A: . The design on Clapton's 1961 SG/Les Paul was done by The Fool, the Dutch group of artists (Simon and Marijke) that designed the album sleeve for the first pressing of the Beatles "Sgt. Peppers" album. Clapton first purchased this guitar in 1966/67, and was used on the first two Cream albums (Fresh Cream and Disraeli Gears), and on the Wheels of Fire live recordings.

The guitar is now in the collection of Todd Rundgren and the paint has been touched up.

http://www.whereseric.com/ecfaq/guitars-amps/fool-guitar-psychedelic-gibson-sg.html

http://twtd.bluemountains.net.au/cream/ericssg.htm

"George Harrison bought it (he's playing it in the promo film for 'Paperback Writer'). He had it painted by the Fool"

this is not correct; george played his SG standard with maestro during the "revolver" sessions in 1966...this is the guitar that

appears in the "paperback writer" and "rain" promo films...serial # 227666' date=' left the gibson factory on 10/9/64...

played throughout 1968 and then given to badfinger's pete ham in approximately 1969...this guitar was never painted, nor

was the bigsby removed...

lennon had his J-160E painted by the fool, and clapton gave the lucy les paul to harrison...this is probably where the internet

confusion comes from...

source: beatles gear

http://www.thecanteen.com/harrison8.html

Q: Where is Clapton's famous psychedelic SG guitar from his days with the band Cream?

A: . The design on Clapton's 1961 SG/Les Paul was done by The Fool, the Dutch group of artists (Simon and Marijke) that designed the album sleeve for the first pressing of the Beatles "Sgt. Peppers" album. Clapton first purchased this guitar in 1966/67, and was used on the first two Cream albums (Fresh Cream and Disraeli Gears), and on the Wheels of Fire live recordings.

The guitar is now in the collection of Todd Rundgren and the paint has been touched up.

http://www.whereseric.com/ecfaq/guitars-amps/fool-guitar-psychedelic-gibson-sg.html

http://twtd.bluemountains.net.au/cream/ericssg.htm

[/quote']

Here's a quote from the "Beatle Gear" web site :

"George's Gibson SG Found!

George Harrison's Gibson SG that he used while with the Beatles has been found and identified. George had given the SG to Pete Ham of Badfinger in 1968. The group's rhythm guitarist Joey Molland told a story that the guitar was sold at a garage sale in the States by Pete's wife after Ham's death in the 1970's. Apparently Molland's story is just that, because Pete Ham actually gave the guitar to his brother John Ham who has had it ever since. The guitar was recently examined and photographed at John's home in Wales for a second edition of "Beatles Gear" due out - October 2002. Arrangements were then made to have the guitar sent to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland Ohio where it is currently on display! "

The "George gave the Fool SG to Clapton" story is one of those musical urban legends. ....and it's perpetuated by the fact that there was another SG given to Clapton by Harrison but it was never one of Harrison's personal instruments and the gift occurred long after the Fool guitar had been created and used by Clapton.

...and Al's your uncle.

I always dug the psychedelic-painted SG. I recently bought a Samick Artist Series SG on eBay with a few minor dings that I plan to strip and refinish in a similar style. Not an imitaion or replica of Clapton's, but an original design along similar lines. I'll post pics of it when it gets farther along.

Hmmmmm' date=' that sounds right - I remember being corrected on this about 30 years ago (I had thought it was "Annie," which is at least close, what with the f from "off" blending with the F from "Fannie," making "Annie" sound at least within the realm of possibilities, no ?) [/quote']

These flashbacks into the past really get things going on this forum.

Ok, Ok, after listening to The Weight again..it is Fanny..but who is Chester?

A C#m D A

I pulled into Nazareth, was feelin' about half past dead;

C#m D A

I just need some place where I can lay my head.

C#m D A

"Hey, mister, can you tell me where a man might find a bed?"

C#m D A

He just grinned and shook my hand, and "No!", was all he said.

(Chorus:)

A E D A E D

Take a load off Fanny, take a load for free;

A E D A D

Take a load off Fanny, And (and) (and) you can put the load right on me.

A E D A D

I picked up my bag, I went lookin' for a place to hide;

When I saw Carmen and the Devil walkin' side by side.

I said, "Hey, Carmen, come on, let's go downtown."

She said, "I gotta go, but m'friend can stick around."

(Chorus)

Go down, Miss Moses, there's nothin' you can say

It's just ol' Luke, and Luke's waitin' on the Judgement Day.

"Well, Luke, my friend, what about young Anna Lee?"

He said, "Do me a favor, son, woncha stay an' keep Anna Lee company?"

(Chorus)

Crazy Chester followed me, and he caught me in the fog.

He said, "I will fix your rack, if you'll take Jack, my dog."

I said, "Wait a minute, Chester, you know I'm a peaceful man."

He said, "That's okay, boy, won't you feed him when you can."

(Chorus)

Catch a cannon ball now, t'take me down the line

My bag is sinkin' low and I do believe it's time.

To get back to Miss Fanny, you know she's the only one.

Who sent me here with her regards for everyone.

A lot of lyrics get the emphasis on the wrong syl-labal... who can forget

Manfred Mann's "Blinded by the light...revved up like a douce in the middle of the

night"...Elton John's Tiny Dancer.."count the head lice on the highway"...and

CCR's..."there's a bathroom on the right"!

I'm sure that there are some more songs, where the lyrics are sung in such a

manner..that it's hard to interpret the real word. Anyone think of others?

dubstar and Iconoclast...I stand corrected.

However, the Fool guitar is not a 1961 Les Paul/SG. If you can find a good close-up picture, you will see the pickguard has the extra screw added after 1964 (I think it was 1964...I'm not doing so hot on my postings today!).

OK...I wasn't at the Winterland ...but I was at the Grande Ballroom on June 9. 1968...I'm not aware of a ''recording dispute''...unless it was perhaps the rumours and unsubstantiated allegations that there was post-production "enhancement" (over-dubbing) of the solo on a song about a certain intersection in Mississippi ??? (psssst there's always post-production clean up and re-tracking on live stuff) am I close to what you're talking about ?... I'm drawing a complete blank here...(senior moment ?? ) .Please enlighten me. I've seen EC perhaps more times than I've seen any other performer...he doesn't have to enhance anything...yeah' date=' there were times when he was better than Ambien but there were just as many times I sat there and went "wow"...anyway, as they say....youth is wasted on the young.

...and Al's your uncle.[/quote']

"Clapton!" What can one say? Of all the white "Blues" players, he's THE MAN, for me, anyway.

Always has been, always will be. There are a lot of others I like/admire, but he's the guy I go see, and listen to, to most, really. All this nonsense about him being a better player with Mayall and Cream, is just that...Nonsense! He was Great, then...no doubt, but he's so much better, nowadays, in so many ways...IMHO.

Archived