Gibson Brands Forums

Valve Junior as a soft Jazz set up !!!!!

I know its a dumb question but what the heck, no-one really knows I'm Gordan Brown from 10 Downing street so here goes .Can you get creamy soft clean jazzy tones from a VJ combo or is it all overdrive .I use a tele with low output classic style pups or a Dot with Rocksongs installed .end of stupid question .

I wouldn't call the amp a jazz player's dream, by any means. At half throttle or so, it makes a terrific gritty blues amp, and cranked, it's pretty much rock all the way. Only at very low volumes does it produce the types of warm cleans that most jazz players lean towards. It does do a very nice, warm clean, but not at a stage-useable volume.

I dunno. Might be pretty good for coffee shop jazz. Very, very small, hole in the wall, teeny tiny coffee shop. Too many tables and they'd drown you out with the idle chatter. But that's when you kick in the overdrive and rip some heads. :-

Gil...

If you use an octal tube, you can go with a 6V6 Tung-Sol or Electro-Harmonix and do a sweeeet blues tone. You'll have to build a board from scratch components though, from Watt's Tube Audio's octal board and scrape together components yourself or use a kit.

The EL84 has a strong high-end chime and overdrives hard. 6V6 JJ also overdrives like an EL84, but not quite the same tone. Some other tubes like a KT88 (I think) and certain 6V6 tubes (New Sensor manufactured i.e. Tung-Sol or Electro-Harmonix) overdrive smoothly and give a bluesy tone. I'm not sure what a "jazz" tone is yet, sorry.

It's a shame the EL84 isn't octal. The other tubes I like all are, and a 6V6 could bias to 14W max (works in VJ) or as low as 9W. If the VJ could take a 6V6 stock you could get a good tone range #-o

Does anyone know an EL84 that overdrives smoothly, or do all brands chime and crunch?

Fat' date=' clean, warm. I think he's referring to a stock Vjr. If I was going to modify one to produce jazz tone, I'd start with something besides the vjr, methinks. [/quote']

I play soft chordy jazz and also good old loud OD blues .The jazz is a cross between Ed bickert and Joe Pass .all played badly of course.I usually play it in my Bedroom but also I do some Blues Jam sessions at which I play my Epi Dot cranked up usually through bad amplifers .I just wondered if that quiet clean soft tone can be gotten as well as that special valve tone for blues .Looks like it can

Thanks

Archived