• Created
  • Last Reply

"Jabberwocky" by Lewis Carroll

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves

Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:

All mimsy were the borogoves,

And the mome raths outgrabe.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!

The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun

The frumious Bandersnatch!"

He took his vorpal blade in hand;

Long time the manxome foe he sought-

So rested he by the Tumtum tree,

And stood a while in thought

And, as in uffish thought he stood,

The jabberwock, with eyes of flame,

Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,

And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through

The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!

He left it dead, and with its head

He went galumphing back.

"And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?

Come to my arms, my beamish boy!

O frabjous day! Callooh, Callay!"

He chortled in his joy.

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves

Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:

All mimsy were the borogroves,

And the mome raths outgrabe.

I'm trying to turn over a new leaf. No longer will I greet threads that ask unanswerable questions with anger and sarcasm. No! I'll simply post poetry all over every single one of them -- in the hope of enlightening the authors, of course. It is my most sincere wish to channel that aimless energy into a truly satisfying pastime which will also aid on the road to nirvana.

(P.S. I lied about the sarcasm)

Edit:

...and since this one is already ripe, here is

"Fleas" by Ogden Nash

Adam

hadem

Thank you very much.

I tried playing a strat a while back, and I just can't keep from strumming the volume knob. I have never liked the location of that knob on any strat style guitar. I'm not saying that it's a flaw, but I strum back toward tha bridge, and I just can't get past that knob.

Actually the strat style is possibly the most comfortable guitar for me to play...I also do not like the location of the volume knob so I usually move it to the middle tone pots location and just use a single volume/tone setup. The next comfy is the SG and then the Paul. They are all great in their own right...Even 335 style guitars aren't bad as long as you have an upper body to reach over them if you sit and play...my wife can not play the 335 style sitting because she has a very short upper body and it is too funny to watch her try.

country pickers like that vol knob cause they can do vol swells while picking.

same with teles.

but .. while it's not exactly apples and oranges, it's darn close.

You even hear some country pickers claim that gibson pickers can't handle a fender.

I've got both, and I like 'em for what they are.

If this thread is about which we "prefer"...... I prefer my LP, hands down. My Strats have their own unique sound for sure. But, for me, I've always loved the sweet necks on the EPI's and Gibby's. You just cant beat a fast, thin, finished neck with bindings. For me.... the most comfortable necks ever.

And YES, I always turn my volume down because of the bad placement of that Strat volume control.... I hate it.:-s

Had both and loved both. I prefer the LP over the Strat for some reasons...but remember that..

Clapton ( Strat) Slash (LP) Hendrix ( Strat) Page (LP) and we could continue a long list like this...It's not the kind of guitar..it's the player that makes the guitar good...

Different guitars, different applications and while I love my Epis and have been very fond of some Gibsons, I still have to say my preference is my Srats, closely followed by my Sheraton. I love the quack of a good strat and the maple necks.

I like LP's better than strats, although they are different and hard to compare. I like tele's better than strats, and I like LP's and tele's equally (although they are also different and hard to compare). They each serve their purpose.

Interesting that there are at least 4 people who say that during strumming, they hit the volume knob. I have never had that problem, but i do find the middle pup to be in the way so, I occasionally scrape against it during solos. As for preference, it depends on the genre. Hard rock/classic rock/blues - Les Paul; contemporary jazz/Ventures/Shadows/general shredding/blues/pop - Strat.

Ive never been a fan of telecasters since I find it too Country Music sounding. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Its just that I do not play/like country music.

I think I figured it out! These people that get into mine's bigger, badder, bolder, better -- they only HAVE one or the other! They have no clue and try to hide the lack by attacking whichever thing they don't have! Geez, there I was, thinking I was bringing musicians together; and all the time it was about STATUS! Oh, how could I be so blind as to think music might have a prayer in hell against STATUS. Apologies to any I bore, here...I won't address the issue again!

Seems to me that most professional players have some kind of LP and some kind of Strat. I have a USA Tele and Hardtail Strat. I hardly play them. My main Strat guitar is a Gibson Q4000. I also have an SG, one of the best Strats I ever heard imo. I prefer my LPs though. Status really doesn't mean much to me. Really expensive guitars can be intimidating. Sure, I'd love to own an unbound Less Paul. But, I'd look like I had a $10,000 dollar guitar and needed $10,000 worth of lessons. With my Epi Special, It sounds and plays great, though I probably still need $10,000 worth of lessons. :-/

I'd love to own an unbound Less Paul. But' date=' I'd look like I had a $10,000 dollar guitar and needed $10,000 worth of lessons. With my Epi Special, It sounds and plays great, though I probably still need $10,000 worth of lessons. :-/ [/quote']

LOL...see, the price of guitar don't matter!

I know were you're coming from Bakz. But consider that if you feel you should only buy the expensive guitar when your playing has reached a certain level, you may well be waiting a long time, or never come round buying one alltogether. Well, that's what I kept telling myself anyway.

As for preference' date=' it depends on the genre. Hard rock/classic rock/blues - Les Paul; contemporary jazz/Ventures/Shadows/general shredding/blues/pop - Strat.

Ive never been a fan of telecasters since I find it too Country Music sounding. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Its just that I do not play/like country music.[/quote']

You have a preconception about Teles. People like Jimmy Page recorded a lot of Zeppelin "Les Paul-stuff" with a tele. Frampton remarked his tele sounded like the fattest Les Paul he ever played. Bluesrockers like Black Crowes seem to favour them. And Richie Kotzen and Guthrie Govan, 2 contempary "shredders" go far beyond what is considered Tele-realm.

Archived