Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Les Paul Volume Controls malfunctioning?

dawool

The volume controls on my Epiphone Les Paul Custom do NOT increase/decrease volume gradually. They seem to just turn volume on or off. The local guitar guy said this was normal for new Epiphones. Is this correct?

Could there be a wiring problem or defective controls?

<The local guitar guy said this was normal for new Epiphones >

Oh that's a good one =D> So does that mean when it gets "old" it will start working ?? Why would they have controls like this if they didn't work ??? WOW !!!

Hopfully they have other employees as they should not count on this

"guitar guy " keeping them in buisiness !!

Most likely just needs a cleaning ( I know it's new but there still can be crap inside)

Spray some contact cleaner in it and work it around some, if that doesn't do it, it could be a bad pot(s).

Easy fix hopefully.

Godd luck !

Steve

No, this is not the way NEW pots work. If you bought it new, I would take it back and have them fix it, it is under warrantee. If it isn't new, putting in new pots is an easy fix. Try some contact cleaner though, first like dawool said.

Not sure if this "guitar guy" works at the shop you bought the guitar. If he does, you might want to find another store to shop at if this is the kind of information they are giving you.

The local guitar guy said this was normal for new Epiphones.

It boggles the mind...really.=D>

The potmeters aren't the best quality but should work.

Like sjtalon said, contact spray first. Alltho that usually is just a temporary fix. You may need to replace the pots.

It boggles the mind...really.=D>

The potmeters aren't the best quality but should work.

Like sjtalon said' date=' contact spray first. Alltho that usually is just a temporary fix. You may need to replace the pots.[/quote']

He wouldn't work @ Guitar Center by any chance would he? Sounds like something one of their "experts" would say.=D> =D>

He wouldn't work @ Guitar Center by any chance would he? Sounds like something one of their "experts" would say.=D> =D>

At times I'm really envious of US guitar-culture(I'm from Europe). The amount of shops, the surplus in brands and whatnot, the bargains and deals(even your regular prices are way cheaper), manufacturers of all things guitar etc...guess all good things come at a price. =D>

Does this only happen when both pickups are selected? Does it happen when either the neck or bridge pickup is selected?

The way the Les Paul volume controls work is a bit strange. The Gibson versions are also wired the same way.

I have a Les Paul Ultra and a 56 Gold Top Reissue. Having been a Fender person for most of my years, it took some experimenting to figure out how the pickups interact.

If you have the bridge pickup volume set at 5 and the neck at 0, when you select both pickups, you won't hear anything.

Try setting both pickups at 5 with both selected. Tweek both volume controls and you should hear the tone change as a result of both pickups being on. Setting one of the volume controls to 0 will turn off both pickups.

I always leave the bridge pickup set between 3 an 5 and use the neck volume control as the master when both are selected.

You can rewire the volume pots to rectify this situation so that both pickups are totally independent.

Mess with it a bit. I don't think the pots are bad.

Archived