Gibson Brands Forums

Action issues...

metalhed717

i'm still a newbie when it comes to setting up a guitar, but i tried to lower the action last night... it didnt work. is it supposed to go way out of tune? also, the lower it made the action the more bass-ey the sound got. that i'm sure would be solved by just lowering the neck pup. this is my first try at doing this, so is all of this supposed to happen? just checking, sorry for the n00b question.

i' is it supposed to go way out of tune? also' date=' the lower it made the action the more bass-ey the sound got. that i'm sure would be solved by just lowering the neck pup. this is my first try at doing this, so is all of this supposed to happen? just checking, sorry for the n00b question.[/quote'] Yeah, going out of tune and "tone" change is normal....tuning goes out because when you lower the bridge, the tension is lessened on the strings....simply retune (and check your intonation at the 12th fret.....adjust as needed). As far as the bass-y-ness, you've already figured that out... again, as the bridge is lowered, the strings are now lower and closer to the pickups, which may indeed need to be lowered as well to compensate (or perhaps you could get by with pole piece adjustment, depending on their positions initially). Good questions, and nothing wrong with experimenting with "minor" adjustments on your own guitar, as that's the best way to learn- DIYing.

So how's the lower action - did you get any fret buzz, etc ? How low did you go :^o

Also, if...when you lowered the bridge, it made the stings too close to the pickups, it will not only account for tone problems,

but the magnetic pull, on the strings, can cause tuning problems, as well. So, I'd say lower the pickups overall, and see

if that helps? Might need to adjust the truss rod, as well, IF you're getting any string buzz, in odd places.

CB

i'm still a newbie when it comes to setting up a guitar' date=' but i tried to lower the action last night... it didnt work. is it supposed to go way out of tune? also, the lower it made the action the more bass-ey the sound got. that i'm sure would be solved by just lowering the neck pup. this is my first try at doing this, so is all of this supposed to happen? just checking, sorry for the n00b question.[/quote']

when you lower the action you take tension off the strings.. hence, detuning. normal.

lowering action also means reintonating as the strings, not having to be bent so far down to fret, are moving less.. that is not going as sharp as before.. so your intonation will be slightly flat.

lowering the action puts strings closer to the pickups.. esp. evident on neck pickup typically.

lower pickups the same amount as you lowered the strings, and you'll have the same tone as before.

so.. lower the action.. retune.. reintonate.. lower the pickups the same amount.

and you're good to go.

so.. lower the action.. retune.. reintonate.. lower the pickups the same amount.

I'd make that: "detune.. lower the action.. tune.. check action". Repeat if neccessary, then move on to

intonating and setting height of pickups.

By detuning you won't wear the threads(which keeps the bridgeposts from vibrating in the bushings). A bit more work, but it keeps the posts tight.

Prob not back to origanal height. If to close to the fret board cases vibration. Also if you neck isnt set correctly can happen.

I may be wrong so check with others but, if you get fret buzz in strange places then your neck may not be straight.

Just lowered my action last night, only half a turn on the screw but was enough for me to play more comfortable at the 12-15th fret. havent had to adjusted the pick ups as still sounds ok. innotation went right out but sorted that quite quickly too. I tried adjusting a whole turn to start but didnt look any diff to the eye but the fret buzz was constant so had to up it that extra bit.

Archived