Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Zenith

Ricochet

A local ad has an Epiphone Zenith '67 for sale. The ad has a pic showing the guitar. I know nothing of acoustic guitars or vintage value. Would this be a sound investment? Is there a going rate for these models?

Also. The headstock seems to be different from the '66 brochure's Zenith. Looks more like a '66 Sorrento headstock. Did Epiphone change the Zenith's headstock for the '67?

A local ad has an Epiphone Zenith '67 for sale. The ad has a pic

showing the guitar. I know nothing of acoustic guitars or vintage value. Would this

be a sound investment? Is there a going rate for these models?

Also. The headstock seems to be different from the '66 brochure's Zenith. Looks more

like a '66 Sorrento headstock. Did Epiphone change the Zenith's headstock for the '67?

Ask.com Epiphone Zenith and Epiphone Sorrento images. Seemse these model names

have been around the horn a few times. Head stocks change at a marketing man's

whim. I suspect that by the late sixties Chicago Music Instrument co, owner of Gibson,

Epi, and others makes of instruments, including Olds brass band instruments and

Baldwin pianos and organs, was having money problems. They could have built a Zenith

with a Sorrento neck, if that's all they had to build it with. Or.. they may have opted for

fewer differences in models to cut costs.

This vintage of Epiphones, built in Kalamazoo, are highly sought after. Just be careful

that this is indeed a Kalamazoo built Epi. Epis built after 71, for a time were built in

Japan and do not have nearly as high a potential value.

Archived