Gibson Brands Forums

Changing the pickups on a G-400

smerdlap

I will be getting a G-400 fairly soon, but i want to get better pickups for it. i don't know anything about changing pickups, but i would want to replace the stock pickups with a pair of these. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/EMG-EMG81-Humbucking-Active-Guitar-Pickup?sku=301504

will they fit in? and HOW do they fit in? i am experienced at soldering, but i don't know what to do.

Well, the good news is, they'll fit in just fine. The bad news is you will also have to find a spot to mount the battery, and the overall job is not something I would call a 'good beginner's project'. Dunno if you'll be able to fit the battery in the control compartment... you may be looking at routing a suitable battery compartment somewhere. Also the wiring on those is complex since you also have to run power wires. This is one of those occasions where neat, professional wiring is a must. You also need to change the pots (I believe they give you the new ones with the pickups) and it requires a different output jack as well. If I were you I'd take it to a pro.

It's hard for me to tell what means what with active pups.

for instance they say those are high output. but the output they are talking about must be off the battery power, because the pups are only

10K ohms.

vintage is around 8K..

19K and above is possible with passive pups.

look at this: http://wdmusic.com/humbucker_distortion_closed_29730_prd1.htm

I've sold a couple of those and they are monster hot, if that's what you're looking for.

or: http://wdmusic.com/humbucker_high_output_closed_29734_prd1.htm

with more classic tonal approach, but double the vintage output.

I'm just mentioning these because I sell 'em, AND I know them pretty well.

None of these require anything but taking out and putting in.

But why settle for two pickups when you can get four.

http://wdmusic.com/motherbucker_double_pickup_29727_prd1.htm

now that's loud.. and with wiring options galore.

four single coils. two humbuckers. in one pickup.

there's a cool version with lower output..

this

http://wdmusic.com/patent_applied_for_style_nickel_29724_prd1.htm

is the one I like. probably not a metal pup per se.. but it's about tone.. volume you can get at your amp. And this one has tone, wiring versatility and great string to string balance.

now, spam over, *s*

I actually like these and use them in my builds. Nobodys ever complained or returned a KA to me.

That's small spuds advertising.. but fairly deep in meaning to me, because I've heard them.

that being said.. Fralins kick butt for a lot of people. Those are along a pricier booteek line.. but no jive, very very good pickups.

I would say avoid the SD lower priced line.. the KA's will beat them in their lower priced models.

After that tastes vary greatly, along with prices.

But boy are there a lot of good pups out there.

GFS has a price to satisfaction range that has made some in here pretty happy.

Find out what your fave players use.. get as much detail as you can..

or get a pro installation of the active type..

lots to choose from

You could do what Gibson does on its 'metal' guitars, that is install a 496R in the Rhythm position and a 500T in the Treble position. These are pretty hot ceramic humbuckers. I'm considering a similar upgrade to my '58 Korina Explorer but I think I'll go with the 496R and a Dirty Fingers for the bridge. Apparently the DF is hot stuff.

Smerdlap, what sort of tone are you aiming for? Players, Bands?

My Epiphone LP midnight had EMGs. The controls-backplate also held the battery with a seperate lid. I don't know if that will work for an SG tho, being slightly thinner.

I really like when I can get tones similar to Jake E. Lee's in black Sabbath's bark at the moon album. I also really like the sound Eddie Van Halen gets in Eruption. I like notes to be clear, but still screaming and I like chords to be very distortional but you can still hear them.

I really like when I can get tones similar to Jake E. Lee's in black Sabbath's bark at the moon album. I also really like the sound Eddie Van Halen gets in Eruption. I like notes to be clear' date=' but still screaming and I like chords to be very distortional but you can still hear them.[/quote']

OK. You want old school Hi-gain sound, but no nu-metal buzz. I love these players myself but I think their pickups are not so high in output as most people think(Alltho I'm pretty sure thats a Dimarzio Super distortion on VH1). The gain came mostly from their hotrodded amps. Personally I don't like high output pickups. I think too many details get lost.

I think the Seymour Duncan hot rod set - SH-2N jazz humbucker (neck) and SH-4 JB (bridge) will be what you're looking for. If you have a weak amp the Seymour Duncan Mayhem-set (2xSH6)may fit the bill.

Regarding the Q-tuners Neodymium PU. Haven't tried them yet, alltho I'm still planning to. From what I've heard they are very much in the EMG vein. Nothing wrong with that, but lately I try to get away from that, since I'm looking for a bluesy tone.

I have a very good/powerful tube amp' date=' so with the SH-2N at the neck and the SH-4 JB at the bridge, I should be able to get killer rock sounds even though on is a more Jazzy pickup?[/quote']

Yes. Don't let the SH2's name fool you. It a PAF-type pickup, equally at home in country or metal. You will be happy to know the SH4 is/was used by Jake.

Yes. Don't let the SH2's name fool you. It a PAF-type pickup' date=' equally at home in country or metal. You will be happy to know the SH4 is/was used by Jake.[/quote']

oh! Thank you for all of the help. i am very sure that i will end up getting these with the G-400.

I really like when I can get tones similar to Jake E. Lee's in black Sabbath's bark at the moon album. I also really like the sound Eddie Van Halen gets in Eruption. I like notes to be clear' date=' but still screaming and I like chords to be very distortional but you can still hear them.[/quote']

Jake E. Lee was never in Black Sabbath, nor did Black Sabbath ever have an allbum entitled Bark at the Moon.

That's Ozzy my friend. Tony is the ONLY guitarist in Black Sabbath.

Jake E. Lee was NEVER in Black Sabbath. "Bark At The Moon" was Ozzy's third solo album. Jake E. Lee replaced Randy Rhoads. Tony Iommi WAS the only guitarist in Sabbath.

You should be thankful when someone corrects you when you are totally wrong about something. Just thought you should know, Grasshopper.

Archived