Gibson Brands Forums

Robert Johnson L-1

Gibson CS

Hey lads...

I checked out the Robert Johnson L-1 at my local music shop.

Very small guitar, and although the sound is okay, its nothing to write home about.

$2400 is alot of money for nostalgia...

I could get a beautiful Gibson jumbo for that money.

I own an L1 RJ, but I agree completely; I was quite underwhelmed when I first played one. I was looking for a small guitar for blues, something very different from my loud, spectacular, ringing, Martins. The L1 was very light, pretty, very easy to play, rather thud-y, but fun. The shop had two, and I played both over several months, and grew to love the "fun" aspect of the guitar, but it was still priced in the "silly" range. But, one fine day the price dropped to $1475 and I snatched it up! (The second, also at that price, was gone the enxt week.) It is now my go-to guitar now, and my only non-Martin accoustic.

I love love love this guitar! It's easy to play, perfect for the blues, and subtle bends are so easy. I guess it depends on what you want, but it was THE perfect compliment to my other guitars. I think a price around $1500-$1700 would attract more interest, but the typical on-line price of $2249 is a bit of a stretch.

Trust me though, this thing is a small, light, wonderful wonderful creation, and I salute the folks in Montana that built it.

James

I have to agree with the comments of JamesHunterRoss. I also own one and find that it is a great addition to my other guitars. I don't fingerpick much, but this guitar was made for that. I also didn't pay nearly the $2400 price tag that you saw on the one in your local shop. I'm guessing you could negotiate that price down quite a bit, if you liked the other aspects of the guitar.

If the price dropped to under $1500 I think that would be a worth while guitar for me.

It was comfortable to hold, and ill be the first to admit it had a vibe to it. It would most definitely put me in the mood to play some Delta blues. I think what made me raise an eyebrow was that huge price tag.

It was the first time I had seen the guitar at the shop, so perhaps the price will drop over time.

If the price dropped to under $1500 I think that would be a worth while guitar for me.

It was comfortable to hold' date=' and ill be the first to admit it had a vibe to it. It would most definitely put me in the mood to play some Delta blues. I think what made me raise an eyebrow was that huge price tag.

It was the first time I had seen the guitar at the shop, so perhaps the price will drop over time.

[/quote']

I think the price that JamesHunterRoss mentioned ($1450) was an exceptional price and around 54% off list. It's very rare to find a new Gibson discounted to that extent. In fact, it's rare to find any new Gibson under the $1500 price point.

I've got one too. In many ways it is the most inspiring guitar I own; it's certainly the most fun.

And my other guitars are no slouches:a J-45, 47' LG-2 and a 000-28ec, that I'm getting ready to sell, if anyone's interested.

Robert

I was in the market for the RJ Sig Gibson about a year ago. I wanted to try it and the Blues King and was going to buy one if I liked one.

Well....as fate would have it, I was never able to find one in a store, but happened upon a Gibson CJ-165 Maple Burst.

I tried one and fell in love. Now looking back I think I made a really good decision. It is smallish and has the basic looks, but the little bit larger compact jumbo gives it a beautiful voice when playing things other than blues, yet digging into the flatted third and seven still gives a good blues satisfaction!

If you are interested in the RJ Sig or Blues King.....don't forget to toss the CJ-165 into your list of guitars to play before making your decision.

Hey Guitarstrummer, where are you located in Colorado? It sounds like we share good taste in guitars.

Nodehopper, That CJ-165 sounds very cool as well. I had a j-185ec that was a little too big for my taste, but the CJ is quite a bit smaller from what I understand. I'd love to try one out sometime.

So many good guitars to choose from these days.....

Nodehopper' date=' That CJ-165 sounds very cool as well. I had a j-185ec that was a little too big for my taste, but the CJ is quite a bit smaller from what I understand. I'd love to try one out sometime.[/quote']

Just to wet your appetite...here is my CJ-165 ...I added the bone abalone bridge pins.

Picture024.jpg

That's a beauty Nodehopper. I'm sure the sound is awesome as well--enjoy.

That nice body shape looks kind of like they took the L1 and made it wider.

How do you post photos here? I'd show off my natural top L1 if I knew.

Robert

Yes robroy nice and small yet Jumbo shaped. Very comfortable to sit on the couch and play.

To post photos I use photobucket.com. It is as simple as creating an account ...uploading the picture. Once the picture is uploaded they give you the code to insert the picture in email, web sites and forums. For this forum you use the "IMG code" Just copy and paste into your post. where ever you paste the code is where your picture will show up when posted.

Would love to see your L1....if you have problems posting the pic.....private message me and I will send you my address and you can UPS your L1 to me to look at......I swear I will send it back eventually ...LOL !!!

robroy - That is just beautiful....to me the burst is super sexy, but the natural you have just looks so classy!

jt - Love the mojo on your original.....looks like it was at the cross roads when Robert Johnson and The Devil signed the paperwork. What is the scale length on that?

My CJ-165 is the first short scale I have played and I found I like it!! 24 3/4 on my CJ

Robroy and Node,

Thanks! Yes, that is the original bridge. In 1926 & 1927, the L-1's bridge was of this bottom belly configuration. It changed to a rectangle circa 1928. My guitar is probably a 1927, making it a year or two older than Robert Johnson's.

The scale length on these originals is a very short 24 1/4. Around 1930, the L-1 (and other L flattops) went to the larger L body style with the longer 24 3/4 scale. Here, you can see the 1927 L-1 next to the 1930 L-1 and 1932 L-00:

2080326320033810361S600x600Q85.jpg

jlfreema, interesting L1 with the "new" logo. Very nice engraved waverly tuners as seen on the Nick Lucas and L2.

I am trying to post pics of my L1s with little success. What type of bracing does your L1 have?

Terryhttp://home.insightbb.com/~tmitchell59/images/cd6aeaf138.JPG

http://home.insightbb.com/~tmitchell59/wsb/media/1023700/site1047.jpg

http://home.insightbb.com/~tmitchell59/wsb/media/1023700/site1045.jpg

Archived