Gibson Brands Forums

Robert Johnson L-1

Gibson CS

I've played a small body Gibson ( a L-00) and had to admit that it didn't do anything for me. It was balanced and all but that small boxy sound of small bodies is quite a niche sound IMHO. I'd like to have one for those times when I want that sound but it's not my high priority GAS.

Tioga Man,

I hear waht you are saying, and I was the same way. Most of my playing now is late at night after the kids are in bed, so I have to keep it quiet. I've taken to playing older fingerstyle blues, and I genrally play quietly. Nevertheless, I've fallen in love with that sound and style, and the L1 fits the bill.

I had previously been considering a 000-15 Martin, and another smaller mahogany Martin to be my "very different" guitar. Luckilly, by odd chance, I found my little L1. It is not for everybody, that's for sure. This forum is about the only place I've really found where you'll find folks that love them. I've read plenty of opinions where people expressed the fact that the guitar "did nothing for them" and was "unremarkable".

Archived