Gibson Brands Forums

Seymour Duncan Pickups for my SG G-400

Hello people,

I need a quick response if possible please :)

I have a standard SG G-400 which I love but I want more from the pickups. So I decided to use this as my "project" as I am new to the world of upgrades.

I think I have pretty much settled on SD SH-4 JB for the Bridge and SH-1 59 at the neck. I think this combination will be pretty sweet and should give me enough tonal options. I pretty much love most styles of rock, so like playing dirty sounds mostly. Although my musical tastes vary from the Beatles, G'n'R, Oasis, Chilli's, Green Day right up to more current metal styles of Bullet for my Valentine, Avenged Sevefold etc....... I love the classic sounds of Queen, Led Zep, AC/DC and the like (anything and everything really).

So firstly what do you guys think of this combo!? I have to admit I don't know too much about outputs and the like, so I'm not entirely sure if I need anything else!? I think I read somewhere that stock Epi wiring is pretty poor, so should I get a complete wiring kit whilst I'm at it!? I'm not sure I want to try anything to clever like splitting or coil tapping etc! My soldering skills are ok and I'm definately of the "have a go yourself to really learn how" mindset.......

I'm also thinking tuners at a later stage! Other than Grover or going for Gibson green key type, I'm not sure of my other options!?

If anyone has suggestions of a better matchup of pups for the sound I'm after then I'm all ears.

Looking forward to your responses.... Hopefully I don't sound like too much of a noob, I have tried to do my research first......... Thanks

I need a quick response if possible please :)

Yeah... right.

That's a classic combination' date=' second in popularity only to the JB/Jazz combo, which is Seymour's personal favourite. I've been running the JB/Jazz combo in a real SG for something like 20 years now and it is very hard to beat. If you add in the coil tap and phase switch, the versatility of the guitar, tonewise, becomes nothing short of staggering. For example, with the coils tapped and both pickups on and the phase reversed, you get a sound very reminiscent of a Fender. Or you drop into the bridge only and go full HB for incredible bite and power... and on and on.

I used the JB/'59 combo on my Elitist LP and it's a definite winner there too.

[img']http://www.marantatech.com/Graphix/eliteLP2.jpg[/img]

Good choice.

Edit: RotcanX beat me to it by a nosehair's length. But as always, the man is right!

I think your pickup choice is pretty good! You may want to consider the Seymour Duncan SSH JB hot rodded humbucker set. Virtually the same with SH-2N jazz humbucker (neck) and SH-4 JB (bridge). Sold as a set, at €118 euros.

The wiring is fine in the Epi. Personally I'd just upgrade the caps(Orange drop/ Mallory) as a start. But if you have the money, you might as well. :-)

I've been running the JB/Jazz combo in a real SG for something like 20 years now and it is very hard to beat.

In a REAL SG!! haha..... I take it you mean a Gibson as opposed to my humble Epi!! sniff... lol..... In all seriousness though I should still get a great tone even if the guitar is of lower quality right!?

My main concern is that it wont be heavy enough for me!? I think I kind of want the best of both worlds....... You know that amazing melodic, scratchy lead tone from say a BFMV song to the deep throbbing powerchords of classic AC/DC..... I don't know if I'm making much sense!? lol...

Oh and the coil tap and that sounds awesome........ I'm just a little worried it might be a complicated job for my first project!? That said....... What's life without a challenge!? So what additional stuff would I need!> New switch gear presumably?

Any tips? Oh and thanks for your replies by the way :)

In a REAL SG!! haha..... I take it you mean a Gibson as opposed to my humble Epi!! sniff... lol..... In all seriousness though I should still get a great tone even if the guitar is of lower quality right!?

My main concern is that it wont be heavy enough for me!? I think I kind of want the best of both worlds....... You know that amazing melodic' date=' scratchy lead tone from say a BFMV song to the deep throbbing powerchords of classic AC/DC..... I don't know if I'm making much sense!? lol...

Oh and the coil tap and that sounds awesome........ I'm just a little worried it might be a complicated job for my first project!? That said....... What's life without a challenge!? So what additional stuff would I need!> New switch gear presumably?[/quote']

SDs will definitely take your G-400 to a whole new level of tone. The stock pickups leave a lot to be desired.

One of the reasons behind the stunning popularity of the SD JB is that it delivers a wide range of tones, with enough edge to satisfy the power hungry while retaining excellent clarity and a good overall balance. It's just about the perfect bridge pickup; after 30 years on the market it's still SD's best seller and they figure they've sold over 100,000 of them over the years.

Don't worry about the coil tapping/phase switching right now. Just solder the red and white wires together and tape them over; you can always add these features at a later date.

I've got some G-400s too...

SG7sm.jpg

My main concern is that it wont be heavy enough for me!? I think I kind of want the best of both worlds.......

It is the best of both worlds. The rest is up to you, your fingers, and an amp that can handle the diversity of tones you mentioned.

If you want coil taps etc, buy some push/pull pots and download the schematics from http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams.

You'll need just a bit more spark for the SG than the 'Hotrodded Humbucker Set' sh-4/sh-2.

What you NEED is the Distortion Pickup Set..the 'Mayhem': SH-6 paired with an SH-2 for the same price.

The SH-6 really makes a good Angus Young tone clone because it's a bit hotter than the SH-4 but just enough to add that bottom end growl, but not as Spikey as a Dimarzio Super Distortion. It's a Really Good Pickup set.

I have it in my SG Custom.

You'll need just a bit more spark for the SG than the 'Hotrodded Humbucker Set' sh-4/sh-2.

What you NEED is the Distortion Pickup Set..the 'Mayhem': SH-6 paired with an SH-2 for the same price.

The SH-6 really makes a good Angus Young tone clone because it's a bit hotter than the SH-4 but just enough to add that bottom end growl' date=' but not as Spikey as a Dimarzio Super Distortion. It's a Really Good Pickup set.

I have it in my SG Custom.[/quote']

Hmm... That set is way to high output for the classic (rock-)tones he's looking for(Beatles, Zep, Queen, Oasis) and hardly offers the tonal variety of the hotrod-set.

Thanks all for your replies.

Pretty much confirms what I wanted to know and so I think I'm gonna go with the SH-4 at the bridge and the SH-1 at the neck! I know many people prefer the SH-2 but I can stuill get the PAF tone with my set-up.

Interesting reading elsewhere about the SH-4..... A VERY highly rated pickup, which is good to know.

I am gonna place an order very soon, I just didn't know whether to order a new wiring kit and coil tap!? Still not sure..... Like you said, I could always do those mods later! I think this could be the start of a new bug.......

Now if anyone wants to make any suggestions for my Highway One Tele as those PUP's have very little bite........ I did think of Hot Rails bridge and a vintage neck!?!

That would be nice. Before/after soundfiles would be even better!

I'm not sure I would want to inflict any of you to my playing :)( lol..... But that is a good idea! I will try it (although I have no method of recording at the moment!?)

Slight change of plan......... The SH-1 was out of stock, so I went for the SH-2 instead (Seymours fave combo)!! I'm sure RotcanX will be pleased :o)

Archived