Gibson Brands Forums

happy new guitar day to me

13yguitarman

After days of searching i went to guitar center florence and got me a brand new gibson faded flying v. in worn cherry. as epi law has stated pics will come as soon as my camera starts working. thats not the best part i payed $559 for it out the door with gig bag. all because i showed them last years august edition musicians friend catalog where they were going for $579

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw one for $400 used at GC. However, the neck buzzed all over, there was scratches and dings all over it, and it just played awful. It was a piece of junk.

I've played a few of them and they were pretty good, just this one...Gibson must've been slacking off that day.

OK, this brings up a question I've had for a while. Seems to me that there is a HUGE diff in price between faded and, umm, varnished (?), well, you know, the regular gloss-type finish, in the same model of Gibbies. I've played some of the faded models and they seem quite fine. My local GC has a '60 replica faded cherry Special double cutaway at $579, while the "regular" finish model is well into 4 figures. Is there THAT much difference in anything substantial between the two?

OK' date=' this brings up a question I've had for a while. Seems to me that there is a HUGE diff in price between faded and, umm, varnished (?), well, you know, the regular gloss-type finish, in the same model of Gibbies. I've played some of the faded models and they seem quite fine. My local GC has a '60 replica faded cherry Special double cutaway at $579, while the "regular" finish model is well into 4 figures. Is there THAT much difference in anything substantial between the two? [/quote']

Don't ask me why, but while I'm not a huge fan of the faded SG's, I LOVE the faded V's! If I bought a V (which I don't plan to do anytime soon), I'd get the faded. To me, it just doesn't feel very different from the standard Flying V, while the faded SG feels like a cheap guitar compared to the standard SG. (IMHO)

Gary wrote:

"Good for you. Carefully not holding breath waiting for pictures because I know many things can slow down the process. Still being patient. A little bored, maybe, but patient. Just waiting. I'm really very patient. I can wait as long as it takes. I'm King of Waiting. OK, I'm just gonna be patient over HERE for a little."

Careful there guy, you're starting to sound like A patient.

LOL.

Seriously 13, hurry the heck up !!!!!

Careful there guy' date=' you're starting to sound like A patient.

LOL.

Seriously 13, hurry the heck up !!!!![/quote']

No, the appointment's not until tomorrow. That's why I'm being patient today. So I can be a patient tomorrow, too. Still waiting 13. But calm...so calm. Yes. I'm the calmest, most patient patient on the forum. Waiting doesn't bother ME. Never has. I can wait for anything. Anything. Wait a minute. Oh, that's what I'm doing isn't it? But if I have to be a patient tomorrow, why do I have to be patient today? OK, that's it. I'm not waiting any more! Hear that 13? I'm not waiting anymore, so however long it takes, I'll be here, just not waiting patiently.

BINGO!!!!! YOU,my friend just bought the best guitar value that exists. I own one too. picked it up for 400 bucks

these smoke!! i keep telling people about these . the pick ups scream. i own a gibby 61 reissue also but i prefer the V. It has become my favorite. the only thing lacking is the finish.

get one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111---you wont be sorry == look ebay

OK' date=' this brings up a question I've had for a while. Seems to me that there is a HUGE diff in price between faded and, umm, varnished (?), well, you know, the regular gloss-type finish, in the same model of Gibbies. I've played some of the faded models and they seem quite fine. My local GC has a '60 replica faded cherry Special double cutaway at $579, while the "regular" finish model is well into 4 figures. Is there THAT much difference in anything substantial between the two? [/quote']

WELL....the "custom shop" versions, of the "double cutaway" Specials, are a little different, in that they are

thicker bodied, as were the originals, with (generally) a bit more rounded edging. The twin P-90

versions, have bound necks, and the Gibson logo, is inlayed MOP, as opposed to a Decal. As to

whether or not, that's worth the 1500 dollars (or more) difference, that would be up to the buyer???

But, the CS versions are much closer to "Historically Correct!"

I Do have, a "faded" version (TV Yellow), that I absolutely love! And, when I got it, 3 years ago,

it was $425.00 new, out the door. It's not the "Historical" version, but...

it plays great, and sounds even better! I did upgrade the pick-guard to the multi-ply version

(just because I liked it that way), and put "Grover" Rotomatic tuners, on it. That bit of extra "mass"

at the headstock, seemed to help the sustain, a bit, too! But, even "stock" they're really fun guitars.

CB

That's the thing. The VOS models are built in a 'no holds barred' manner and are aimed at a market that wants something as close as humanly possible to the original vintage edition in every slightest detail. So, while the price tag seems ridiculous when compared to some mass-produced faded model, it becomes much more reasonable when you consider what a genuine vintage Gibson is going to cost. For instance I would love to get one of the VOS SGs and would consider them a bargain compared to the $15,000 plus price tag one could expect on a genuine '64 SG.

...and my Epi Explorer blows away any faded Gibson V. =D>

That's the thing. The VOS models are built in a 'no holds barred' manner and are aimed at a market that wants something as close as humanly possible to the original vintage edition in every slightest detail. So' date=' while the price tag seems ridiculous when compared to some mass-produced faded model, it becomes much more reasonable when you consider what a genuine vintage Gibson is going to cost. For instance I would love to get one of the VOS SGs and would consider them a bargain compared to the $15,000 plus price tag one could expect on a genuine '64 SG.

...and my Epi Explorer blows away any faded Gibson V. [-( [/quote']

Absolutely! I'm "gassing" for one of those SG's myself...but, right now, it's finacially impractical...at the very least!

](*,) :>(

CB

:svet said i don;t think you're going to find many people wishing they had bought a faded. The Elitists are a much better value in my opinion. Have you posted that video yet on youtube 13?

It's a V!!!!! ELITISTS are nice but V's are different. how do you compare a V to an elitist? the faded v's are far better than anything epiphone makes imho

Id grab a Gibson over an EPI in a blink. I dont get the elitist thing. I dont see elitists going through the roof in the future but i could be wrong. I played a elitist sg, and it was ok. nothing special. they dont WOW me. epis arent gibsons. they are great guitars as i own 3 semihollows. but they arent gibbys.

if i could buy a new semi in the elitist price range---id find a gibson es 333 for less on ebay

:svet said i don;t think you're going to find many people wishing they had bought a faded. The Elitists are a much better value in my opinion. Have you posted that video yet on youtube 13?

It's a V!!!!! ELITISTS are nice but V's are different. how do you compare a V to an elitist? the faded v's are far better than anything epiphone makes imho

Id grab a Gibson over an EPI in a blink. I dont get the elitist thing. I dont see elitists going through the roof in the future but i could be wrong. I played a elitist sg' date=' and it was ok. nothing special. they dont WOW me. epis arent gibsons. they are great guitars as i own 3 semihollows. but they arent gibbys.

if i could buy a new semi in the elitist price range---id find a gibson es 333 for less on ebay[b'][/b]

I don't even know where to start here. Just because the headstock has Gibson written on it does not make it a Gibson. Some people will blindly associate a name with quality but I assure you the faded's lack in quality to a great extent. You are certainly correct in that I should not compare a faded "V" to an Elitist. The Elitist's are far and away superior to this line from Gibson. In fact the fair comparison starts at the Les Paul Standards and really is closer to the Custom Shop Reissues. How do I know this? I know this because I own a Gibson R9, R6, 335 and a 137. So I full well know how my 6 Elitists stack up to Gibson’s. I do not buy guitars as investments so whether or not the Elitists I own will ever be worth anything more than I paid is irrelevant to me. You are foolish in thinking that every Gibson is better than every Epiphone and your statement that you would grab a Gibson over an Epiphone in a blink is quite frankly a joke. I don't even know why I am bothering to write this as your quoted statement is one of the most naive things I've read in a long time. I feel sorry for you as it appears you cannot think for yourself or evaluate something based on its own merits and not its trademark.

Archived