Gibson Brands Forums

happy new guitar day to me

13yguitarman

I dont get the elitist thing. I dont see elitists going through the roof in the future but i could be wrong.

Well, that makes sense, if all you do with a guitar is hide it in a closet until you can one day sell it for a profit. The Elitist models are meant for players, who would rather have the profit right now in the form of money saved, and let the future take care of itself. Oh, and guess what... unless your Gibson was made in the sixties or earlier, it's not about to pierce any ceilings either.

As a professional guitar tech that has seen and worked on a lot of Gibsons and Epis and having checked out a number of Gibson SG Standards, I have to say that the Elitist SG is as good in every way except perhaps for a superior finish; the Gibsons tend to have minor finish flaws here and there which the Elitists do not. As to the Gibson SG Special, I wouldn't take TWO of them for my Elitist. The only 'difference' between an Elitist and a Gibson is a perceptual one based on brand names. As far as playability, sound and quality of materials goes, they are on a par with any equivalent Gibson model and in terms of fit and finish they are superior.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny thing about the Gibson Faded's .. I have a mate who has a Gibby Faded LP 2006 model. It got dropped at a gig and part of the horn broke. He's a chemical engineer by trade so he took it to the Uni in town and ran the peice through a spectrometer wood analyzer. I can tell you one thing, Fadeds are not real mahogany, they are what everyone calls epiphones, "mystery wood".

I feel sorry for you as it appears you cannot think for yourself or evaluate something based on its own merits and not its trademark

reply: gee, touched a nerve huh? We are talking about V'S and this guy comes blasting about his elitist guitars.The guitar man gets a wonderful new V and you hi jak the thread braggin about your epi-- No one said your guitar was crap and I hope your feeling better about yourself today. I own gibbys and epis. When set up equally I prefer gibbys. just my opinion. sorry you dont feel the same. Play what you like. I always let my ears to the thinking, I will ignore your negative comment . Keep playing your elitist and enjoy it.---good day and good playing

I feel sorry for you as it appears you cannot think for yourself or evaluate something based on its own merits and not its trademark

reply: gee, touched a nerve huh? We are talking about V'S and this guy comes blasting about his elitist guitars.The guitar man gets a wonderful new V and you hi jak the thread braggin about your epi-- No one said your guitar was crap and I hope your feeling better about yourself today. I own gibbys and epis. When set up equally I prefer gibbys. just my opinion. sorry you dont feel the same. Play what you like. I always let my ears to the thinking, I will ignore your negative comment . Keep playing your elitist and enjoy it.---good day and good playing

Really, what Epiphones and Gibson's do you own that you would have the audacity to say "It's a V!!!!! ELITISTS are nice but V's are different. how do you compare a V to an elitist? the faded v's are far better than anything epiphone makes imho

Id grab a Gibson over an EPI in a blink."? I simply stated that I feel the faded's are not my cup of tea but I wished him well. They really are junk & look and play the part. You are the one that would rather a faded over an Elitist and that is your prerogative. I simply would rather have something of higher quality rather than the perceived value of the Gibson Headstock. You said you always let your ears do the thinking but you are only contradicting your earlier post that demonstrates that all you need to see is Gibson on the peg head. Gee what is it.

Stan you are probably right about that. And for Andrew, well the people that knock the Elitists usually do so because they can't get past the name on the Peg Head. If the guitar is taken for what it is there is no denying the value of said instrument. If someone comes on here and makes a blanket statement that all Gibson’s are better than Epiphones I am not going to sit idly. There is a negative connotation associated with Epiphone in some circles. This is easily demonstrated in the aforementioned quotes and is why I am responding to these posts. I can see where I am coming across with an elitist demeanor and that really isn't my personality. I have every right to compare fadeds and Eltitists as they are in the same price range. The Elitist SG's sold for 700-800 as does the faded sg and, well you know the rest.

Sure' date=' but not to the extent that people defend Elitists. At least not that I've seen. Then again I don't spend much time on Fender boards.[/quote']

Oh, I dunno... I've seen some people get pretty defensive about MIK/MIC Epis. :-k

The thing with the Elitists is that, while nobody is able to attack them on their quality, people nonetheless overlook them based on the brand name. Which of course is perfectly within anyone's rights... but it's just a little sad to see someone overlook a fine quality instrument because of such a trivial issue. Tell me who's wiser... the guy who buys a guitar based on how it sounds and plays or the guy who buys a guitar based on the design of the headstock and the name inlaid there? I guess, in the end analysis, anybody who can read can 'judge' a guitar based on the brand name... but anybody who actually knows something about guitars will do so based on the actual instrument.

Well...regardless of how this interesting little discussion turns out... I'd like to think we are all here because we love our Epiphones. Be they USAs' date=' Matsumokus, Elitists or [b'] Payless Fakes [/b]!

Ummmm ....uh-oh

Sorry' date=' i'm foreign,but what does HNGD mean ???

Peter[/quote'] Happy New Guitar Day

what Epiphones and Gibson's do you own that you would have the audacity to say "It's a V!!!!! ELITISTS are nice but V's are different. how do you compare a V to an elitist

your the one who started the comparisons from out of nowhere. I didnt compare V's to elitists-----YOU DID. Flying V's were the topic. I do own 1 older 1962 sg jr. The elitist line doesnt make a V.---PERIOD. So.....the discussion is about V'S. You want to talk about your great your elitists are?? fine, start a thread that says "IM FEELING MY ELITISTS NEED MORE LOVE, IM FEELING INSECURE". But for now please stick to the awesome new guitar day.

what Epiphones and Gibson's do you own that you would have the audacity to say "It's a V!!!!! ELITISTS are nice but V's are different. how do you compare a V to an elitist

your the one who started the comparisons from out of nowhere. I didnt compare V's to elitists-----YOU DID. Flying V's were the topic. I do own 1 older 1962 sg jr. The elitist line doesnt make a V.---PERIOD. So.....the discussion is about V'S. You want to talk about your great your elitists are?? fine, start a thread that says "IM FEELING MY ELITISTS NEED MORE LOVE, IM FEELING INSECURE". But for now please stick to the awesome new guitar day.

I guess I completely misunderstood this statement:"It's a V!!!!! ELITISTS are nice but V's are different. how do you compare a V to an elitist? the faded v's are far better than anything epiphone makes imho

Id grab a Gibson over an EPI in a blink. I dont get the elitist thing. I dont see elitists going through the roof in the future but i could be wrong. I played a elitist sg, and it was ok. nothing special. they dont WOW me. epis arent gibsons. they are great guitars as i own 3 semihollows. but they arent gibbys."

SDgails wrote:

"IM FEELING MY ELITISTS NEED MORE LOVE, IM FEELING INSECURE".

just when I thought you couldn't sound any more ridiculous you come up with another gem! If I was so insecure about my guitars would I be touting Epiphones? No, I would be jumping to show everyone my Gibson Faded with Gibson on the headstock. It must be good it is a Gibson! I swear I can pick out a good guitar; It need only say Gibson on the peg-head! LOL, have fun.

I don't even know where to start here. Just because the headstock has Gibson written on it does not make it a Gibson. Some people will blindly associate a name with quality but I assure you the faded's lack in quality to a great extent. You are certainly correct in that I should not compare a faded "V" to an Elitist. The Elitist's are far and away superior to this line from Gibson. In fact the fair comparison starts at the Les Paul Standards and really is closer to the Custom Shop Reissues. How do I know this? I know this because I own a Gibson R9' date=' R6, 335 and a 137. So I full well know how my 6 Elitists stack up to Gibson’s. I do not buy guitars as investments so whether or not the Elitists I own will ever be worth anything more than I paid is irrelevant to me. You are foolish in thinking that every Gibson is better than every Epiphone and your statement that you would grab a Gibson over an Epiphone in a blink is quite frankly a joke. I don't even know why I am bothering to write this as your quoted statement is one of the most naive things I've read in a long time. I feel sorry for you as it appears you cannot think for yourself or evaluate something based on its own merits and not its trademark.[/quote']

I have one argument on that. the fadeds are pretty good if you know how to pick them. they say if you can find a good v (any model) than youve got something. just because its cheraper doesnt mean there arent any killer ones.

Archived