Gibson Brands Forums

Thank you Jerrymac!

Received the P-90 plates, couldn't find the original thread.

Thanks for sending these, Jerry, on a quick hold it against the body, I think the thinner plate will do just fine to mount a P-90 in a humbucker rout and hide the extra cutout. I'll post a picture after I finish stripping this and get it all put back together. I have a pair of Lindy Fralin pups coming for my Blueshawk - I'm somewhat inclined to think the reason I never got along well with this guitar is th Blues 90's that Gibson put on them. They are almost shrill, and are harsh, at times - and, man, does the Varitone ever point out bad treble. Anyway, I expect that one of those will wind up in the Junior Special I'm working on.

Thanks again.

g

Received the P-90 plates' date=' couldn't find the original thread.

Thanks for sending these, Jerry, on a quick hold it against the body, I think the thinner plate will do just fine to mount a P-90 in a humbucker rout and hide the extra cutout. I'll post a picture after I finish stripping this and get it all put back together. I have a pair of Lindy Fralin pups coming for my Blueshawk - I'm somewhat inclined to think the reason I never got along well with this guitar is th Blues 90's that Gibson put on them. They are almost shrill, and are harsh, at times - and, man, does the Varitone ever point out bad treble. Anyway, I expect that one of those will wind up in the Junior Special I'm working on.

Thanks again.

g

[/quote']

Great, I hope it works out. Let me know how the Fralins work out on the 'hawk.

Gary...I've been thinking I will make these spacers out of wood...a wood grain that would help when you use these on archtops...the plastic doesnt bend well or conform with a lot of the archtop contours.

I've got a jig saw, I bet they wouldnt be that difficult to produce. Just finding the right wood to use (not too hard or too soft). If I do this I also plan to cut a groove around the top of the spacer and try my luck at installing binding that would be visible under the pup...

Would the shriekiness of the P90s you had be a result of maybe metal pup covers? Usually the P90s I've had have been normally on the dark/mellow side, but they had plastic covers.

You're right the spacers do work good covering the HB mounting screw holes...

Received the P-90 plates' date=' couldn't find the original thread.

Thanks again.

g

[/quote']

Hey if your goin to the trouble of Fralin's do yourself a big favor(trust me on this) and put one of these vari-tones http://bigdguitars.com/varitonespec.htm in place of the stock gibson.......HUGE Difference!

The Blues 90's are mounted in plastic, and I like them well enough at 2 of the Varitone settings, but that means I DON'T like the rest, and that's most of them. So I'll give this a try. If it works, great - if not, I'll restore the orig's and go from there. I can always find a place for a P-90.

One wood surrounds, I've mentally kicked around an idea of adapting a latch similar to the Grolsch beer top for a "universal" adapter for different bobbin forms, but haven't got around to it yet. One of those "roll the latch down and raise a block up under the top to clamp both sides of the top. Might also allow an easy pup swap from the top.

Hey if your goin to the trouble of Fralin's do yourself a big favor(trust me on this) and put one of these vari-tones http://bigdguitars.com/varitonespec.htm in place of the stock gibson.......HUGE Difference!

How does it compare to the stock Varitone? Some of those changes are pretty harsh, and I've often thought different cut frequencies might smooth out the tone a bit.

I've bookmarked that site, though, already.

How does it compare to the stock Varitone? Some of those changes are pretty harsh' date=' and I've often thought different cut frequencies might smooth out the tone a bit.

I've bookmarked that site, though, already.

[/quote']

You know Gary when it comes to describing tone it's so subjective....but in a few words... they are all useable, smooth tones on the Big D compared to maybe 2 good sounds on the Gibson vari-tone(IMO).

Archived