Gibson Brands Forums

EPI LP Std Pickups VS Gibson LP Custum Pickups?

mrjones200x

Hey guys,

Whats your genaral view on the difference between these two pick ups?

I have just got my Les paul epi with standards and my mate has a Gibson Les Paul he is modifying so his standard pickups are there for the taking. His is a custom model in White if that makes a diff (Diff models diff pick ups i guess) just wondered whether there a better pick up than the epi std.

He said all std gibson pick ups are crap! He's converting to a jimmy page wiring set up with hot slag pick ups.

Cheers for any comparisments

Those would be '57 Classics, with the bridge being the hotter 'Plus' pickup. They'll be a huge improvement, grab 'em post haste! Pop the gold covers off and they'll look right at home on your Standard.

Your friend is a bit of a maroon with regard to his pickup opinions but that's good for you. Be prepared for him to want them back someday when he realizes that the guitar is not worth as much without all the original parts.

Well it depends on the kind of sound you are looking for. I bet those would be *****en in an Explorer but just the name makes me think they wouldn't be right, for me, in a Les Paul. A LP Custom with '57 Classics is a beautiful-sounding thing. As I said, his folly is your fortune. Whatever you do, when you get them in your Epi, don't tell him how awesome your guitar sounds... go along with his opinion and tell him that you think maybe the Epi pickups were better. :-

New pickup brands seem to come and go, but in my mind Gibson is still #1 in the original PAF sound sector (with maybe some of the hand wound boutique pickups). Pickups for metal and other noise - dunno...

I'd grab those Gibsons without hesitation.

Whats your genaral view on the difference between these two pick ups?

Never heard of Iron gear. But I can tell you the Gibson PUs are PAF-types, so generally in 7,x to 8,x k Ohm area.The Slags are 15,3 and 16k Ohm output, which is an extreme high ouput, even surpassing the Seymour Duncan Distortions in that respect. Expect these to scream with a high gain setup. Don't expect any of the detailed subtleties in tone, a PAF-type PU will reveal.

Your friend is a fool, and you just got very lucky!

DO THE GOLD COVERS IN THIS CASE COME STRAIGHT OFF OR DO I HAVE TO DO ANYTHING SPECIAL. HIS IS ALMOST SORTED SO WILL BE AVAILABLE SOON.

IM LOOKING FOR SOME HUMBUCKLERS FOR MY LES PAUL EPI AND I PLAY 80'S ROCK, AND ALSO ROCK AND ROLL. jUST UNSURE AS THERE ARE SO MANY OPTIONS ABOUT. aLSO LIKE VAN HALEN TYPE LICKS AND SOUND BUT IM GUESSING YOU CAN REALLY GET NICE TONE AND SERIOUS OD ON THE SAME PICKUPS. cOULD SOMEONE EXOLAIN THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN TYPES PLEASE

dO I NEED ACTIVE/PASSIVE PICKUPS?

DO I NEED HIGH/LOW RESISTANCE PICKUPS?

4 WIRE OR 2 WIRE CONNECTIONS FOR STD LP?

aNY HELP IN ME ACHIEVING A REAL NICE TONE.

New pickup brands seem to come and go' date=' but in my mind Gibson is still #1 in the original PAF sound sector (with maybe some of the hand wound boutique pickups). Pickups for metal and other noise - dunno...

I'd grab those Gibsons without hesitation. [/quote']

Yup..they were around before Seymour D and Seth Lover setup their shop and it took a lot of trial and

error to get that sound.

... and wait till he starts wiring up the nightmare of wiring associated with the

Jimmy Page wiring configuration....full set of pushpulls..wires crisscrossing through the switches.

I studied it and decided to stick to just one set of pushpulls (for

each tone pot for my 4 wire config and that was enough ) .. well good luck to him on that.

The covers are soldered to the baseplate with 2 dabs of solder. Just take an iron to it.

Gibson Classic PUs will be great for classic rock. No need for active PUs.

I'd say Medium-low if you're into classic rock.

2Wire is fine. 4wire if you want to dabble with the Jimmy Page coil-splitting and stuff.

The rest is really up to you and your fingers.

Active pickups are part of a plot started by the Mallory and Union Carbide companies to increase sales of 9 volt batteries.

High resistance pickups tend to have a hotter, more distorted output than low-resistance units. Actually the correct term is 'impedance' since the pickup coils are not 'resistors', they are coils and behave as such. Normal humbuckers tend to have a DC resistance of about 7K ohms or so while the high-impedance models will measure as high as 16K ohms DC resistance. K = 1,000 ohms BTW.

And the pickups that Gibson installs at the factory are almost always two-wire; they usually only put the four-wire leads on the aftermarket versions of their pickups.

DO THE GOLD COVERS IN THIS CASE COME STRAIGHT OFF OR DO I HAVE TO DO ANYTHING SPECIAL. HIS IS ALMOST SORTED SO WILL BE AVAILABLE SOON.

IM LOOKING FOR SOME HUMBUCKLERS FOR MY LES PAUL EPI AND I PLAY 80'S ROCK' date=' AND ALSO ROCK AND ROLL. jUST UNSURE AS THERE ARE SO MANY OPTIONS ABOUT. aLSO LIKE VAN HALEN TYPE LICKS AND SOUND BUT IM GUESSING YOU CAN REALLY GET NICE TONE AND SERIOUS OD ON THE SAME PICKUPS. cOULD SOMEONE EXOLAIN THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN TYPES PLEASE

dO I NEED ACTIVE/PASSIVE PICKUPS?

DO I NEED HIGH/LOW RESISTANCE PICKUPS?

4 WIRE OR 2 WIRE CONNECTIONS FOR STD LP?

aNY HELP IN ME ACHIEVING A REAL NICE TONE.[/quote']

Van Halen used a Gibson PAF on his first ''Frankenstein Strat'' taken from a ES 335, if i'm correct.

wHATS A BURSTBUCKER THEN? LOW/MED/HIGH? sEE THEM ON EBAY?

wENT ON GIBSONS SITE AND THEY GOT SO MANY WITH VERY SIMILAR DISCRIPTIONS?

sO CONFUSSING???????????

cAN YOU RETURN PICK UPS AFTER TRYING THEM IN YOUR GUITAR NORMALLY IF YOU DONT LIKE THEM?

Archived