Gibson Brands Forums

Two Blondes Are Better Than One!

acousticworship

Buddy of mine has a GA-5 which of course ended up leading to a head-to-head comparison with my Valve Junior. Once I had done the requisite mods (the first VJs tended to hum a lot), the end consensus was that the VJ was just as good. I think he was a tad PO'd about that one; he paid full price for it... ](*,)

Anyway, good news for anybody that owns a VJ or is considering getting one.

I have both a Valve Jr. combo and a GA-5. I haven't modded either, except to put a NOS JAN-Phillips 5751 in the GA-5, to lower the gain and smooth out the overdrive. As far as comparing the two, the GA-5 is definitely better. Similar concept, but much better executed. Kinda like the difference between an Epi Les Paul and a Gibson Les Paul. Both nice, both similar, one just made and sounds better. I liked the Epi ok until I A/B'ed with the Gibson.

The GA-5 is a lot more open sounding and clear sounding, more responsive, and has a better speaker.

I'm no electrical engineer, the the circuit on the Gibson is supposd to be laid out a little better. The GA-5 should be easier to mod with the PTP construction, but I'm so happy with mine I'm not planning any mods, except to wire up the 8 ohm speaker out. I am planning to mod the Valve Jr. at some point and give it some decent tubes, which I'm sure would get it sounding better.

But the Jr. is no slouch, that's for sure. They're similar tweed-type circuits. I wouldn't have paid $699 for the GA-5, but for $299, it was a steal.

Yeah I put J 'n' J tubes in mine and I popped in a Jensen Alnico speaker... which cost almost as much as the amp.

The GA-5 is hand-wired while the VJ uses a PCB. Mostly you are paying for the hand labour since the actual circuit is not much different. This is also why the original VJs needed to be re-worked before one could even consider comparing them to the GA-5.

Archived