Gibson Brands Forums

Why I own a Firebird

TheX

I agree X !

I was listening to his "Still Alive and Well" album last night (probably my favorite studio album of his).

I think he is one of the most overlooked and underated guitarists around.

And now you got me thinking about wanting one of those firebirds!

The first time I saw Johnny Winter I was 17, the year was 1970. A friend came by the house and had tickets to the old Sports Arena in Atlanta to see him. I thought he meant the comedian, but he had a tape, the Electric Blues Experiment. We listened to Rolling and Tumbling, and Black Cat Bone all the way to the Arena. I forget who opened. They explained about Johnny's albinism, and why he required the special light show. The Fire Department was present, because they had to cut the lights out. The whole place was pitched dark, the drummers came out first (one was Edgar, I found out later). They started out with a military type beat. The UV light show flashed on, and caught Johnny jumping off his amp in the opening chord for Fast Life Rider. He had that very same Bird. I'll never forget it. I was floored. The next day, I bought Second Winter. Been buying Winter Albums ever since. I've seen Johnny many times during the early seventies. He was always on. A terrific performer and guitarist, and a true bluesman extraordonaire. Firebirds are great guitars.

Whenever he played Winterland in San Francisco they lined the front of the stage with blue christmas lights...it was a fairly small stage and he was all over the place. Edgar's shows were good too, even later when he had Montrose playing guitar, less bluesy then of course.

The first time I saw Johnny Winter I was 17' date=' the year was 1970. A friend came by the house and had tickets to the old Sports Arena in Atlanta to see him. [/quote']

That place had some of the best accoustics on the planet. A couple of 100w plexi's would shake the earth in that old concrete building.

I've seen JW countless times throughout the 70s and a couple of times in each decade following. Unbeleivably energetic and LOUD stuff when his band was AND. Rick Derringer, Randy Jo Hobbs, Uncle John Turner.

Hobbs and Turner are both dead, Turner recently. Derringer is now playing predominantly Praise music. It is very sad to see JW now. He's very frail and appears to be in pretty poor health. He Always plays sitting down now and needs assiatance on occasion to get around. I saw a recent PBS interview with him a couple of weeks ago and he was very unkempt and now even his playing was sloppy. He played this area lately, an old converted movie theater, I couldn't bring my self to go, but people that I talked to that went were pretty upset. I guess all the years of Meth and rehab finally caught up to him.

He was one of the inspirations that kept me playing. I still listen to his suff all the time and play something of his almost every time I pick up a guitar.

I saw Johnny Winter in London, Ontario, Canada in 1970, where he performed a show very similar to his "Johnny Winter And...Live" c.d. (It only cost 50 cents, as it was subsidized by the UWO student council) He put on a terriffic show. Have been a big fan ever since I first heard "Black Cat Bone" in '69.

I had a Gibby 60's Firebird V in the early 70's. I played a friends 05 Gibby FBV a couple of weeks ago. Much deeper v neck than the original and much more unbalanced, wanted to flip forward because of the front strap button location, but the sound........!!!!!!

Archived