Gibson Brands Forums

Scales?

SG1973

Hey guys and gals, got a quetion for ya. I've been playing for 20 years plus, but i've never really taken the time to learn my scales correctly and completely. I've always played be ear, hardly ever used any tab. I recently played and recorded a couple of songs with Clint Lowery of Sevendust and he complimented me on my ear because I picked right up on his riffs. We went over the ongs 2-3 times, and recorded them. I guess I do have a gift in that area (not trying to brag) but at the same time, relying on that over the years has really gotten me behind where I would like to be. I would really like to learn scales completely, but I don't have time for lessons. Does anyone have any suggetions? I know there are tons of dvd's and uch out there, but I want to make sure that I'm not wasting my money. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. thanks

Know any good books?

I got a E-Book with thousands of scales in it but not a great order. Show the whole fret board and each note to play in that scale.

If you want a copy of this i'll email you it. Have had for a while and didnt cost to much really. May help you out. Also includes lots of chords too

Id like a book that covers different positions like the only scale i know A minor pentatonic i think. Then other positions

E, 5 8

A, 5 7

D, 5 7

G, 5 7

B, 5 8

E, 5 8

You right about being tons of stuff out there, but check out the book on the link below....I think this might be just what your looking for. Providing you know your neck, gots to know the neck.

Anyhow I like the fact that all the modes and scales are all illustrated in one key in this book instead of like others where they have the Major in G or Dorian in D and so on. My students, when I was teaching, quickly learned the relationships between the different scales just from studying out of this book. Just a matter of shifting the Root note...got to know where the notes are on the neck though.

http://www.amazon.com/Scales-Modes-Guitar-Steve-Hall/dp/0882847201/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1209484169&sr=1-2

Have tried to remember it before. I know the pattern but cant point to one fret then say its that note id have to count down the string.

Is there a simple way to learn it???

Play slowly with an electronic tuner hooked up. You'll be surprised how quickly it sinks in.

Once you've learned the notes, try to think of them as the root, or the 3rd, or the 5th or whatever; it makes it a breeze to transpose to different keys.

SG1973...until you find what you're looking for this might be helpfull;

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php

There are tons of this stuff on the net from theory, chord finders, scales...man, you name it.

Anyhow there are some better and some worst, this is just the first one I came across. I haven't had any need for any of this stuff in a long while so I can't remember where I have them stored at the moment...sorry.

BTW...here is a fretboard map just incase you or anybody is interested.

http://www.bluescreenlife.com/music/guitar/fretboard.jpg

I know it looks overwhelming at first if you're not familiar with the neck, but if you only pick one or two notes at time it makes simpler. Plus you really just need to go to the 12th fret...notice how they just repeat over again. Anyhow sorry if you already know this...maybe it might help somebody else.

Not at all guys, that's what they are there for...glad you found them useful.

You might like this one too...LOL..just found my files.

http://www.musictheory.net/trainers/html/id81_en.html

Anyhow just click on the note you think it is and keep going.

If you go to the home page you'll find all kind of pretty neat stuff. Most is on theory and keyboard stuff though. I liked using the sight reading trainers.

Mr jones, thanks for the book, and thanks to everyone else for the links. You guys hit the nail on the head. I had no idea that there wa that much stuff on the web that didn't cost $$$. It's people like you that make this forum worth while, and thats why i'm here. thanks...

thanks for the replies. Mr. jones' date=' that would be very helpful. My email is, well it's my wifes email, sandramomof7@yahoo.com. Yes we have 7 kids. Now you know why i don't have time for lessons.[/quote']

7 Kids...WOW! I think you really need to play more guitar and less hanky panky...lol

You can go to you-tube and there are alot of folks on there showing scales, riffs, and such...from rock to blues to jazz.

Capt

This is a pretty concise site that discusses music theory' date=' fretboard notes, triads, scales, etc.:

http://www.zentao.com/guitar/theory/

[/quote']

I just took a quick gander at this page. I'm still laughing at the author's description of the Pentatonic scales.

"PENTATONIC SCALES - The starting point for playing great solos. These scales are used by every guitarist who ever spanked the plank."

Very funny.

Archived