Gibson Brands Forums

Fret Buzz

Bill V

This afternoon I was working on the Blues scale in the key of E, second position using my Epi G-400. I noticed some fret buzz (enough to be annoying) at the 12th through 15th frets, mainly on the top three strings. Can anyone shed some light on what could be possible causes for buzzing this high on the neck? Thanks.

were you playing with distortion or clean on? I dont when playing with the amp on but when off I have some buzzing on the 5th and 6th strings. My action is pretty low though. Do any of you have some buzzing when not pluged in is that normal? Can raise the bridge more.

Bill...did this just start? As the weather warms up, and humidity increases, you may need to readjust your truss rod, a bit to either straighten, (or put/add a little relief, in the neck, depending on which direction is needed), to rid the buzzing. Raising the action, can help, too...but, check the neck first. You may have to do a bit of both.

CB

Eyeballing it, there seems to be some relief, but perhaps not enough. I guess I'll have to break out the capo and feeler gage to be sure. I can't recall if it's a recent thing, but then, I've only had it since February.

I have buzz clean, I'm going to examine my guitar some time soon. Busy this weekend and money's tight this month and all (new pickups for another guitar, and picking up a new Goban, while building a solid cash reserve and doing some extra investment after the devastation that was taxes) so I didn't order the fretwork toolkit and book yet.

Ideally I want zero buzzing unplugged; but I use 0.009-0.042 strings so that doesn't happen much. Heavier strings create more tension and take more force to make move the same distance, but also ring louder since they don't dampen the sound as much (increased tension acts like increased hardness in that way); I have started experimenting with 0.010-0.052 gauge strings. Iommi says heavier strings produce more harmonic undertones though... he uses 8's

Bill, Hello! How long have you had your G-400? Is it new (just got it)? Or have you had it for a while? The reason

I'm asking, is that I just recently (less than 2 weeks ago) bought a Les Paul Standard Plain-Top (VS) and had problem with buzzing. It didn't seem to buzz when I played it in the store, but I left it with their tech overnight to do a setup.

He lowered the action a bit and I noticed when I got home after picking it up the following day that it was buzzing

very badly, but only on the 5th fret of the E and B strings. I took it back and it wound up being that there was a

high fret. It was filed down and then polished (the whole neck was checked over just in case). I haven't had a problem with it since.

Another question...What guage strings are you using on your G-400? I was told that because the scale length on

Epipihone and Gibson guitars is shorter than on say a Fender guitar that the minmum guage strings you should be

using are .010 for the 1st (E) string. If you use .009's, you're going to get buzzing. Just a suggestion.

I was watching a Roger McGuinn DVD, and in it, he explained that he has to re-adjust both rods, in his Rickenbacker 12-string,

(talk about neck tension!!!) even going from different locations, in this country, to say nothing of "overseas!"

The climate conditions can vary just enough from place to place, and (of course) season to season, that he will (sometimes) have to make adjustments at every stop. He did admit that he likes a very low action, and very straight neck, to accomplish that. So...??

CB

Charlie, I have read something to that effect myself recently, but the guitar has never been out of the house, which is climate controlled (central air, 24/7), but, I can't rule out an environmental cause. You might be on to something.

Paulp, I got the guitar about 2 1/2 months ago from Music 123. In retrospect, I don't think it buzzed anywhere on the neck.

I think I'm going to have to keep a journal or something, considering that of the 5 electric guitars I have, I acquired 4 of them since February and it's getting difficult to keep track of this stuff.

Well, I know I've had to re-adjust several of my guitars truss rods, slightly, in the last month. And, I too, am in a "climate controlled"

environment. But, humidity here is a lot more prevalent, in the Spring and Summer, so I'm used to doing that. So, unless you have

a visable "bump/hump" in the neck, that you didn't notice before...I would suspect, it just needs a bit of "tweaking?"

CB

Charlie, I see you're from Kansas. I guess if humidity is an issue there, then that may by my prblem here in South Florida. I'll dial in a little relief and see how it goes. Thanks.

Oh, and thanks to everyone else.

Archived