Gibson Brands Forums

Suggestion For Speakers

I got my EVJ head yesterday, it's a birthday present from my parents =D>/ .

And I'm planning to build the cabinet coz it's cheaper than new cabinet (thanks to Steven Lister for his suggestion).

I don't have any knowledge or experience about speakers, so I will need suggestion from the masters here.

I have two candidates, Celestion or Eminence. But I don't have any idea for the type model.

I'm looking for some classic blues rock sound from the 60's and 70's. more specific, I really like Jimmy Page's sounds and I hope I can get his type of sounds.

So, any suggestions for the speakers? I also open to another brand of speakers.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Bear in mind that you might well be able to buy a used, or even new cabinet for less than you'd spend building one. And, you may well end up with it being loaded with a speaker already, if you're buying used.

As for speakers to cop Zep JP, you'll want to focus on Celestion. I think the G12H is a pretty killer speaker myself, and run a 100 watt version of it in a small 1x12. The larger the cabinet and speaker wattage, the bigger the bottom end...remember that.

The Vjr will definitely push multiple speakers, but it's really not necessary in order to get a great tone and penetration, and in fact, to my ears, the tone flattens out and can get muddy with dispersion when you're using larger than a 1x12.

Oh, and happy b-day, btw. :D/

thanks m-theory.

Bear in mind that you might well be able to buy a used, or even new cabinet for less than you'd spend building one. And, you may well end up with it being loaded with a speaker already, if you're buying used.

yeah, you also have good point. my father also suggested buying used cabinet.

well, I'm also considering buy used cabinet. I might lucky enough to find good used cabinet with low price, who know.

I really need to push the cabinet's budget as low as possible without sacrificing the quality too much since I also planned buying a pair of SD SH-4 JB and SH-2 Jazz pickups.

btw, I tested my EVJ a few hours ago. and.... for me, this amp is amazing =P~ .

I'm testing the EVJ with a speaker from my old tape deck, it's a small speaker no more than 6". I'm using 100US$ SG model guitar with 'unknown' Washburn pickup. and even I only used minimum equipment, the sounds feels so good for me. I'm wondering, how it will be if I already use a good cabinet and a pair of SD pickup :-k .

EVJ are no bullshit. I already read so many good review about EVJ, and I already proved it by myself.

two thumbs up for EVJ.

great sounds laybomoo.

well, everything would be easier if I live in USA. I can get everything easily and eBay would be useful.

back here, in my country, it's not that easy. for example, I can't get EVJ in my country, I got my EVJ from Oz when my father visited Sydney couple weeks ago. and eBay is useless in here.

the only hope is local music store. sometime local stores have good items, but the items can be gone very fast.

well, I will keep on looking.

thanks for the suggestions.

Lay.. He's in Indonesia not Oz.

Slim_Boy.. just tried google'ing you a place to buy speakers in Indonesia, but no luck...

If you're in a real pinch and can't find a place to buy, then not really recommened but you can use an 8om car or stereo speaker instead. (just make sure you don't 'love' those speakers because the may blow the voice coil)

Slim_Boy.. just tried google'ing you a place to buy speakers in Indonesia' date=' but no luck...

If you're in a real pinch and can't find a place to buy, then not really recommened but you can use an 8om car or stereo speaker instead. (just make sure you don't 'love' those speakers because the may blow the voice coil)[/quote']

Eracer... plenty of Indonesian music shops, but few of them online I'm afraid. I'm sure the bigger shops in Jakarta or Surabaya carry the big brands.

Slim...try to look/ask for Boston cabs at your local dealer. They're either Taiwan or China made for the Asian market, but come fitted with Celestions. Not sure if they are readily available in your country, but they will be cheaper than a Marshall cab!

Slim_Boy.. just tried google'ing you a place to buy speakers in Indonesia' date=' but no luck...

If you're in a real pinch and can't find a place to buy, then not really recommened but you can use an 8om car or stereo speaker instead. (just make sure you don't 'love' those speakers because the may blow the voice coil)[/quote']

OOOPS! Drink coffee first...post second! Well either way the shipping would have been a deal killer! Sorry I couldn't help.

Well either way the shipping would have been a deal killer!

Tell me about it. I tried ordering 2 wharehouse speaker back when they were still 21 bucks. I asked David for a an estimate but also to forget it if shipping(to Europe) exceeded 100 USD. Never heard from him again!

Ricohet.. just went onto David's e-store and qty2 british leads shipping to the UK turned out to be $111.30usd+ $45*2.

Slim.. just tried the same ebay store and qty 1 speaker shipped to you is $72usd..

I'm sure you'll be able to by anything used over there cheaper than 45+72.

Slim.. just tried the same ebay store and qty 1 speaker shipped to you is $72usd..

I'm sure you'll be able to by anything used over there cheaper than 45+72.

Eracer, I'm a little bit skeptic about shipping to my country. in my country, sometime you wont get what you're already ordered before (some tollgates officer will steal your stuff while your stuff bring checked at the tollgates). so I will try to avoid shipping from outside of my country.

Slim...try to look/ask for Boston cabs at your local dealer. They're either Taiwan or China made for the Asian market, but come fitted with Celestions. Not sure if they are readily available in your country, but they will be cheaper than a Marshall cab!

ok, I will check Boston brand.

Eracer... plenty of Indonesian music shops, but few of them online I'm afraid. I'm sure the bigger shops in Jakarta or Surabaya carry the big brands.

and yes Richochet, there are some store in Jakarta that sell brand like celestion and eminence. I will visit the store in next couple of days since I live 120km outside Jakarta.

but I don't have any experience with speaker, and so I don't know which model/type should I buy to fitted my sounds taste (classic blues rock 60's-70's, especially Jimmy Page's tone).

I don't know which model/type should I buy to fitted my sounds taste (classic blues rock 60's-70's' date=' especially Jimmy Page's tone).[/quote']

JP used lower wattage Celestions(30W). I'm not sure which model.

For classic rock a Vintage30 or G12H would be a good choice.

JP used lower wattage Celestions(30W). I'm not sure which model.

For classic rock a Vintage30 or G12H would be a good choice.

thanks Richochet,

I'll keep that on mind, Vintage30 and G12H.

a Celestion seller in my country recommended Vintage30 and m-teory recommended G12H. and you, Richochet, recommended both of them. I think I will go for VIntage30 or G12H.

oh btw, I'm using SG model guitar, and I'm planning to buy a pair of SD SH-4 and SH-2 (right now I'm using Washburn pickup) after I get a cab. I can get good classic rock sounds with those combination (EVJ, Celestion Vintage30/G12H, SG, and SH4 + SH2), right?

Do you guys know if there is any real difference between a closed and open back cabinet?

as far as I know, I got this info from local music forum, closed cabinet (no hole in back of cabinet) will give tight/focus sounds, more thick/bass sound.

and for open back cabinet (there's big hole in the back of cabinet, almost a half size of cabinet) will give " fender'ish " sounds type, more in the mid, a little bit lack of bass.

that's all I know. correct me if I'm wrong.

as far as I know' date=' I got this info from local music forum, closed cabinet (no hole in back of cabinet) will give tight/focus sounds, more thick/bass sound.

and for open back cabinet (there's big hole in the back of cabinet, almost a half size of cabinet) will give " fender'ish " sounds type, more in the mid, a little bit lack of bass.

that's all I know. correct me if I'm wrong.

[/quote']

Correct.

I can get good classic rock sounds with those combination (EVJ' date=' Celestion Vintage30/G12H, SG, and SH4 + SH2), right?[/quote']

Yes, that will work nicely.

Maybe buy some nice tubes for the VJ while you're at it. A TungSol 12ax7 preamptube and JJ EL84.

Maybe buy some nice tubes for the VJ while you're at it. A TungSol 12ax7 preamptube and JJ EL84.

well noted Richochet.

I already found a store that sell JJ tube, but for TungSol, I haven't find any. But I think I will find TungSol in Indonesia, just need to search a little bit further.

thanks for the suggestions.

It's as hard to find a good speaker as it is to find a good Les Paul Special. :-({|= And the back end is just as important.

Celestions are all good speakers, I especially like the Hs. A 12" may be a little boomy with a stock Junior, though this is easily fixed with a tone mod, you might not want to go there. The 10" Celestion sounded brittle with the Jr, though the ones I had were designed for FET amps and to be expected. My favorite speakers with the Junior have all been 10 inchers. I have a love hate affair with Eminence, though that is what I'm running now. They do sound good, but not always where you think they would. I have two singles, one with a black frame alnico, which came out of some Fender reissue, or so I'm told. The other is a hemp cone Lil' Buddy.

000_0634.jpg

I was reluctant to get the Lil'Buddy, it was reputed to be notoriously smooth. When I got it in I found out, that reputation was well deserved. But, guess what? I really, really like smooth. The alnico by itself gives a real vintage single ended sound like an old Kalamazoo model 1, or a Champ. Together, they are heaven, and like nothing I can describe. Slightly compressed with a rich gain, Zepplinish.

If there is one speaker that I would recommend it is that Lil' Buddy. I got it new on eBay, for less than half price. I want to get some more and build a custom cab myself for another amp that I have. At 50 watts, it is very efficient and quite loud too. A terrific speaker for my rig and blues style. And, I haven't failed a urinalysis yet. =P~

The amp has the ver2 card still in it, though it has been modded. I have a Mercury Magnetics 3H choke, and a Hammond 125ESE OT. The PT is stock, and still runs the stock DC heaters.

... The other is a hemp cone Lil' Buddy.

There is just something special/great about the tone of a hemp cone! I mentioned here earlier' date=' that I use an Eminence 12" Cannabis Rex, 30 watt -- break-in was a little arduous (always is) but the pay off is worth it!

Before buying, I spoke with a Celestion rep. about hemp cone and asked why Celestion does not offer any. He basically said that their testing did not show any tonal variations.

Bullocks lads -- it does something -- something really great -- believe it!

Compared with either my Celestion Vintage 30 or my Peavey Blue Marvel (not sure of exact wattage but low like 15-50ish) the REX is a mid/low tone master -- using the VJr. ver. 3 head. Even compared to other non-hemp Eminence offerings (listen to their website sound clips) the hemp cone is distinctively gritty/greasy blues coming-at-you. So..., support your local cannabis growers =P~ and buy one if your tone needs this type of assistance.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on :-({|=

30W green backs are absolutely great for recording but we personally don't use them for playing live anymore. We've blown more GB's on stage than I care to count. Every cabinet we have now is packed with G12t-100's and we have zero problems with them. Actually we do have one 4x12 cabinet with 100W Eminence Legends that our sound man insists on trying out.

One of the cool things about some of the live recordings from the 70's is that you can actually hear some 30W green backs as they blow.

Archived