Gibson Brands Forums

UPS STRIKES AGAIN!

Sorry to hear your problems in the US fellas, the UK isn't so bad but then we are a small island...tell you what though If I lived in the States I wouldn't use FedEx and if I did I would make damn sure that Tom Hanks wouldn't be on the flight!

Over here the big courier companies seem to be running neural nets or something for the package routing.

I've sometimes tracked packages fly and drive back and forth between countries in Europe, for no apparent reason.

They probably save big bucks flying them around in full containers to get them to the destination for the lowest possible price.

In the end my packages usually pop up in a local warehouse where some local courier picks it up and delivers.

Most of the time they still arrive in time, I've only had trouble with UPS (surprise!) who have their own delivery vans and pothead drivers.

Logistics has always been a big mystery to me..

For me, Gary, your "nightmare" is one more reason to never again buy expensive items online. I might save a few bucks but the associated hassles aren't worth it. I just paid 50 bucks to return my defective Dot Studio to Epi. 50 bucks is 25% of what the guitar cost! Now I'm without my guitar for god knows how long and I'm dealing with a company 3000 miles away. Better I spend a few bucks more at a local store where I can go back in person if there's a problem.

BTW, my Dot came poorly packaged by MF, the box damaged by UPS but amazingly in one piece.

Problem is, the amp is EXACTLY what I wanted. I can't remember seeing another single tube low watts 12AX7/EL-34 head. Many, many EL-84 (and I own VJH and Blackheart) but they don't sound the same.

Its not the internet, nor online buying. Its the failure of individuals (whether self-employed or a corporate hack) to perform as they say they will, and then be uncommunicative, unresponsive, arrogant and condescending about it when busted. Even so short a time as 50 years ago, grifters and con artists KNEW they had to hit and run or face the, uh..censure and discipline, I guess is a good way to put it...of an outraged public. Today, they know damn well no one will physically force them to perform -- and if they don't have to, why should they????????????

Legalize dueling. That's my solution. Yep.

I agree that it's a failure of individual integrity but from now on I want 'em close enough to do something if they screw me. I can go to small claims court and sue a local shop, if I have to. Even picket outside their shop. What's my recourse with the likes of Epi and UPS. If there's something I can't get locally, I'll either reconsider how much I really want/need it or very carefully choose who I buy it from. As far as shipping time and delays go, I try (not always successfully) to be patient. Geez, are you aware of UPS "Smart Post"? They truck it so far and then hand it off to the Postal Service - about 2 weeks coast-to-coast. The retailers who use it just identify it as "ground".

Problem is' date=' the amp is EXACTLY what I wanted. I can't remember seeing another single tube low watts 12AX7/EL-34 head. Many, many EL-84 (and I own VJH and Blackheart) but they don't sound the same.

[/quote']

How did you get that to sound good? I built one, too much bottom end and no overdrive. Maybe my plate voltage was too high?

Problem is' date=' the amp is EXACTLY what I wanted. I can't remember seeing another single tube low watts 12AX7/EL-34 head. Many, many EL-84 (and I own VJH and Blackheart) but they don't sound the same.

Its not the internet, nor online buying. Its the failure of individuals (whether self-employed or a corporate hack) to perform as they say they will, and then be uncommunicative, unresponsive, arrogant and condescending about it when busted. Even so short a time as 50 years ago, grifters and con artists KNEW they had to hit and run or face the, uh..censure and discipline, I guess is a good way to put it...of an outraged public. Today, they know damn well no one will physically force them to perform -- and if they don't have to, why should they????????????

Legalize dueling. That's my solution. Yep.

[/quote']

Honestly it's the delivery system not the seller......it's a hand built amp... cut him some slack! But UPS on the other hand...self insured and when a claim is filed who inspects the shipment and rules on a payout??? They do ....or their little hired company that tells you insufficient packing.... sorry you lose! OK but your "package handlers just broke a vandal proof lexan security camera enclosure in factory packaging that I would have to hit with a sledge hammer unboxed to break??? HELLO! Sorry but thats one of my experiences with UPS claims!

Layboomo, I did cut him slack. He promised a 4-6 week delivery time when he took me money. 4 weeks later, without hearing from him, I sent an email. Got back a "Greetings!" message that send he "Planned" to start the build "next week" because things had just been busy. 2 weeks later, again I had to email him. This time it was "Ready next week, you should have it by the middle of next month" - about double his original ETA. When I expressed displeasure, he said "I'll do it tonight and UPS will have it to you 5/1/08". Well, suddenly it was ready to ship and he got shipping info and gave me the tracking number, but he never gave the package (or the money) to UPS until 3 days after THAT, and UPS says that delay is the reason they couldn't deliver it to me 5/1 even though the package was HERE in my home town.

Still think anybody deserves slack? The builder missed THREE (03) of his own promised delivery dates without ever trying to stay in touch with me. UPS thinks something that happened last week, 2000 miles away, and was successfully resolved with no affect on the delivery date, allows them to decide I should be punished by non-delivery of a package, shipment of which I paid in advance, months ago.

Sorry about your camera, but if you had publicly called them out and shot 2 or 3 of them, I might not be in this situation.

Layboomo' date=' I did cut him slack. He promised a 4-6 week delivery time when he took me money. 4 weeks later, without hearing from him, I sent an email. Got back a "Greetings!" message that send he "Planned" to start the build "next week" because things had just been busy. 2 weeks later, again I had to email him. This time it was "Ready next week, you should have it by the middle of next month" - about double his original ETA. When I expressed displeasure, he said "I'll do it tonight and UPS will have it to you 5/1/08". Well, suddenly it was ready to ship and he got shipping info and gave me the tracking number, but he never gave the package (or the money) to UPS until 3 days after THAT, and UPS says that delay is the reason they couldn't deliver it to me 5/1 even though the package was HERE in my home town.

Still think anybody deserves slack? The builder missed THREE (03) of his own promised delivery dates without ever trying to stay in touch with me. UPS thinks something that happened last week, 2000 miles away, and was successfully resolved with no affect on the delivery date, allows them to decide I should be punished by non-delivery of a package, shipment of which I paid in advance, months ago.

Sorry about your camera, but if you had publicly called them out and shot 2 or 3 of them, I might not be in this situation.

[/quote']

Yup thats lame all the way around...I just try to give the little guys some slack...but you certainly did and then some. What are you gonna do....build it yourself I guess!#-o

How did you get that to sound good? I built one' date=' too much bottom end and no overdrive. Maybe my plate voltage was too high?[/quote']

No idea. EE I'm not! Here's a LINK to the description. Its apparently based on the old 5E1 Champ circuit, but with modifications (like the EL-34 and the dual built-in pre-amps for both Fender and Marshall type sounds) that I found extremely attractive. I'm losing the ability to focus down small within arms length, and so I no longer grab a soldering iron and cut loose. Too much chance of a screw-up, so these days I only do small things, like change pickups, or work with BIG parts like bridges and tuners.

I've been following your posts, youngster, and I gotta say I hope you have as fun-filled a life as my early days. Jumping in , both feet in my mouth, without looking was always my best move, so I appreciate seeing someone who jumps, but looks first! #-o :D/ [-(

Well, my happy new guitar day turned into box it back up and return it. Thanks UPS.

My faded LP double cut came with a nice bonk on the upper edge of the lower bout. Victim of one of those 7ft drops no doubt. It plays fine and those p-90's are sweet but if there's going to be a scar in my guitar I want it to be by my own hand. Damn. I've been waiting awhile for that thing and now I have to wait some more.

N

Just got back from the UPS store -- 9:08 p.m.

Box showed obvious dings, bangs and crunches. The agent REFUSED to make a note of it - twice - because there was no "obvious physical damage" to the interior. Nevermind electronics, tubes, etc. that can't be checked until plugged in and powered up.

Neat thing -- packed together with my invoice is a UPS shipment receipt (dated 4/25) that says Guaranteed By: End of Day Thursday, 5/1/2008

Sent the maker an email that I expect a refund of the full amount he charged for shipping, not what he actually paid.

We'll see...

...and, thanks to all of you for your support. Let me know if I can do the same for any of you - and I will leave for Tahiti immediately!

Nicolas! I feel for you, brudda.

Well, here she is:

Package2002.jpg

Package2003.jpg

Package2001.jpg

First impressions - There may be magic in this box. It is very musical, and can get good clean tones up to about 10:00 o'clock. Overdrive is fat right out of the box, and DEFINITELY EL-34 in origin! More rude than EL-84's, but it does the buzz, you know? Rated 10w, but not appreciably louder than my Blackheart. Very professional build, no sloppy lettering on the plates, no runs in the paint. It seems to like my Riviera best of the 3 or 4 guitars I've plugged into it. You can hear it "loosen up" while you play! becoming less compressed in the first 15 minutes or so as components get good and hot. And, no, the attenuator won't be sitting on the cage. Much hotter in operation than either Blackheart or VJH. For that matter, the amp has a master volume (that works!) and probably won't need the attenuator to maintain tone at low volumes. I'm already in love with the standby switch.

Cost is about double the Blackheart, probably in the neighborhood of cost to modify a VJH to EL-34. If it weren't for the delivery problems, this would be an "8" right now, before it completely breaks in.

Archived