Gibson Brands Forums

Fretwire suggestions for a Special II

bluefoxicy

Well after a previous thread I decided to check out my frets, and it looks like my Special II is completely flat in some places -- no joke, that wire has the hardness of aluminum foil! Some frets look fine, nice and round; and then some are totally flat. A few have this thin wear line along the crown, some just have wear under the GBe strings.

Seriously, isn't this stuff supposed to require a metal file to work, and then last years under stress before needing more attention? I can't even play that great yet and my guitar needs a serious fret job soon, an idea I was entertaining for academic purposes before (figured I'd level and crown, possibly refret) but now it looks like I really have got to learn to do this. I'll polish them with an emery cloth for now and hope they're not too bad; they buzz a little unplugged but that's been going on since forever (light strings and heavy hands... I'm favoring heavier low E strings these days).

What should I use? I've heard Dunlop SS jumbo is good. I can play for now but if this keeps up within a month I'm going to have to relegate my playing to the Ibanez (which needs new pickups, hence why I'm not getting the refret tools this month...).

Good news is, if you screw up on the fret job it won't be a huge loss. Great way to learn how. Don't forget that at $170 for a new one it's definitely not worth having a pro fret job which'll cost at least $250 on it. A bit harsh, I know, but that's reality for you.

People often ask what the difference is between a Gibson and an Epiphone. Well, for me, one of the big differences is the Fret material. As you've seen, Epiphone frets wear down pretty fast while Gibson frets last MUCH longer.

I suspect the Epi frets are soft so they can be dressed more quickly and easily.

Having said that, I still enjoy a good Epi. I love my Gibby's but I would never dis an Epi.

Archived