Gibson Brands Forums

G-400 Custom - Opinions ?

I might have the chance to barter some home improvement services for a friends TV yellow G-400 Custom. I have not played the Epi Sg types soi don't have a reference point. I had a 68 Gibson SG in the early 70s but sold it because I didn't like the thick neck.

Any opinions on how they sound and the necks on these guitars would be helpful. I've seen it and it's in great condition but haven't played it yet. Not thrilled with the TV Yellow but I can tolerate it. I will obviously play it but wanted a preview of what to expect.

Thanks !

LOL... 'TV yellow'. That's the thing that repulsed me about the last G-400 Custom I saw... that almost orange colour. It's supposed to be white, or at the worst ivory but somehow someone must have gotten carried away in the paint department. Yuck.

Apart from that, it's not a bad guitar; I almost bought one back around 2001 but ended up with a Gibson Junior lite instead (but that's a different story). Personally I still can't see the point of the three pickup thing since you don't get any tangible advantage over a two-pickup G-400 with the three-position switch, and the three volume idea, while technically allowing more tone options, turns out to be impractical in a real life scenario since it's not convenient for quick pickup changes while playing IMO. And then of course there's the 'gold hardware' issue but if you keep it clean it's not the end of the world. However if you're getting some kind of deal on it go for it; one thing for sure it's an impressive looking axe with all that hardware.

As to the playability, the neck profile should be as good as any other G-400 but watch the weight; you'll have to evaluate this particular guitar yourself as there is a lot of variation from one to the next.

LOL... 'TV yellow'. That's the thing that repulsed me about the last G-400 Custom I saw... that almost orange colour. It's supposed to be white' date=' or at the worst [i']ivory[/i] but somehow someone must have gotten carried away in the paint department. Yuck.

Did you see the Gibson Classic Antique series? The binding is supposed to be nicely yellowed or nicotine stained, but is almost orange!

Apparently Gibson has been having trouble finding the correct creme binding for some time now. The latest guitars all have binding made from a plastic that's almost pink and does not look very nice IMO.

Great guitar. Of my 4 epis the sg custom is the best one to play because of its great neck access .I love it and would highly recommend it. I also get a lot of comments about the color, people just love it.Stan.

MVC-012F.jpg

By and then I am getting to wanna buy one of these beauties, but then I always come to remember that SG's are neck heavy.

How about the Epi SG's, are they hard to handle? Ive not played any SG for a good while...

LOL... 'TV yellow'. That's the thing that repulsed me about the last G-400 Custom I saw... that almost orange colour. It's supposed to be white' date=' or at the worst [i']ivory[/i] but somehow someone must have gotten carried away in the paint department. Yuck.

Apart from that, it's not a bad guitar; I almost bought one back around 2001 but ended up with a Gibson Junior lite instead (but that's a different story). Personally I still can't see the point of the three pickup thing since you don't get any tangible advantage over a two-pickup G-400 with the three-position switch, and the three volume idea, while technically allowing more tone options, turns out to be impractical in a real life scenario since it's not convenient for quick pickup changes while playing IMO. And then of course there's the 'gold hardware' issue but if you keep it clean it's not the end of the world. However if you're getting some kind of deal on it go for it; one thing for sure it's an impressive looking axe with all that hardware.

As to the playability, the neck profile should be as good as any other G-400 but watch the weight; you'll have to evaluate this particular guitar yourself as there is a lot of variation from one to the next.

Thanks Rot, I know the color sucks, it is the model that has the maestro vibrato tail. It would be a deal, about a days work.

Well, if it's really TV yellow, not just some putrid overdark shade of 'antique ivory' then by all means go for it. The Maestro is a bonus, and makes it a LE so it's not as if you'll ever get another chance at one like that.

By and then I am getting to wanna buy one of these beauties' date=' but then I always come to remember that SG's are neck heavy.

How about the Epi SG's, are they hard to handle? Ive not played any SG for a good while...[/quote']

Yeah they are. I have a G-400 and just bought another that needs repair. I love the neck on SGs, easy access to the upper frets. I have a leather strap for mine, with rough leather on the back side, which catches hold of my clothing really well. I have NEVER had it neck dive with this strap.

I love my G400 custom. The three pickups can give you some cool sounds. Mine doesn't have the vibrato, but that's not a problem. I was playing it so much the gold plating is starting to wear off the bridge, so I bought another G400 for playing the **** out of. I'll hang the custom on the wall until I need it for recording or jamming. I think people tend to fixate on these guitars being "neck heavy". As jcwillow777 notes, the right strap does the trick. I have a couple 3-1/2" straps that work well at keeping the guitar situated where I can even let go with out the neck diving towards the floor.

Get it, you won't regret it!

SG_Pair.jpg

Great guitar. Of my 4 epis the sg custom is the best one to play because of its great neck access .I love it and would highly recommend it. I also get a lot of comments about the color, people just love it.Stan.

Stan, this AND 'Burst Iguana'? Where's my shades!!!???

gibiphone

just north of the Mexican line

Stop it you guys are going to make me blush. Yes Rotcanx its a 2000 saein built beauty, with a gibby PU in the neck pos, which by the way is the only PU pos. i use on my 17 guitars. One of these days i'm going to try the bridge pos. but not right away. And yes i do have a polish fetish, but i'm taking meds to try to control it and some other issues i have ( GAS).Stan.

Archived