Gibson Brands Forums

New nut needed on LP?

mrjones200x

Hey guys where is the best place to buy a new nut for my epi LP std? Would like a good one, have to replace mine as it fell over and has a chip out of it now. Only a few weeks old too lol.

Any internet site will do preferable in england so quicker shipping but not to bothered

How hard is it to change the nut to? never tried on any guitar before

Cheers

If I were you I would take this opportunity to replace the stock plastic nut with a bone nut. In your case I get the feeling the best course of action would be to take it to a good luthier/tech and have it done since this is not a simple job as the nut has to be made from a blank; these don't come 'pre-fitted'. However I assure you it'll be worth the expense. If I understand the way these things work it should cost about £25 to get the job done; I typically charge $25 for a job like this.

Actually, what you buy is a bone nut blank, a rectangular piece of bone about 2" by 1/2" by 3/16" in size. Then you start sawing. As to the guitar's keeping in tune, that's more a question of how well the nut slots are cut than what the nut is made of. =P~

Archived