Gibson Brands Forums

I just got my tax refund...

... what shall I buy?

I saw a "worn cherry" Gibson SG on my local Craig's List for $500 inc. hardshell case. Does that sound like a good deal to you guys? I'd really value your opinions.

Maybe I should buy a digital camera so I can take pics of my modded Dot?

Yeah' date=' but it's a [u']Gibson[/u], dude, don't you know that Gibsons hold their value? [-(

Oh thats right I forgot....they are all worth more than you paid especially with the mods.....How's that?#-o

All kidding aside.....1/2(+ a little bit) new cost(not list) is about right....plus maybe $50 for the hard case if you want to be generous. It's a cruel world but thats reality on a non vintage low end guitar regardless of who makes it. Go ask a dealer what he'll give you in trade.....you'll see what I mean. Those guitars have sold anywhere from $599 to $799 new in the past few years. I'd go $400 tops with case and that's if you really want "that" guitar. Geez by my own logic I should have bought used! A mouse and a couple beers is a dangerous combination!

... what shall I buy?

I saw a "worn cherry" Gibson SG on my local Craig's List for $500 inc. hardshell case. Does that sound like a good deal to you guys? I'd really value your opinions.

Maybe I should buy a digital camera so I can take pics of my modded Dot?

Exciting!

The Socal craiglist has been heavy lately with good deals- but ever since the thread about the influx of fakes out there we all need to be weary:-k

Happy hunting!

Exciting!

The Socal craiglist has been heavy lately with good deals- but ever since the thread about the influx of fakes out there we all need to be weary:-k

Happy hunting!

There's someone in Long Beach selling a black Sheraton. It wasn't you, was it?

What are you playing' date=' now? And...would the SG be that much different, sound wise?

Might think about going in a direction, tonally, that you don't have? Hey...just an idea.

CB[/quote']

An '89 Strat, a '99 Strat, a '52 reissue Tele, an '07 Dot and an '87 Guild JF-30 (acoustic). I love the sound of a 12 string Rickenbacker, but I don't like the necks on the one's I've played.

I'm interested in an SG because I played a friend's at a rehearsal a few months ago, and it just felt... right.

An '89 Strat' date=' a '99 Strat, a '52 reissue Tele, an '07 Dot and an '87 Guild JF-30 (acoustic). I love the sound of a 12 string Rickenbacker, but I don't like the necks on the one's I've played.

I'm interested in an SG because I played a friend's at a rehearsal a few months ago, and it just felt... right.[/quote']

Well, I was just curious, as it's hard to make suggestions, when you don't have any idea

what the person plays, or likes. SG's are great, no doubt! Just a matter of finding the "right" one!

Ric 12-strings, are notoriously thin (and narrow), in the neck department. Some love that, some don't!

But, if you love the sound (as I do), take a look at a Ric 660-12, which is (basically) identical to the "Tom Petty" version. That particular model, has a wider neck at the nut, and some find that a bit easier to play.

I have 3 Ric's (2-12's and a 320-6) and am used to the necks, so they're not a problem.

Of course, another alternative, is the Epi Elitist Riviera 12 string! Several guys on this forum, can attest

to their tone and playability. Good luck, whatever your fancy!

CB

I think you mean "wary." O:)

My bad... must be carpal tunnel of the brain...

Thanks Andrew

There's someone in Long Beach selling a black Sheraton. It wasn't you' date=' was it? [/quote']

Hey Billybob, nope, never posted on craigslist... in fact never sold off a guitar!

by the way - thought that one was a bit pricey... did u catch that SG with P90's

posted for $50???

But' date=' if you love the sound (as I do), take a look at a Ric 650-12, which is (basically) identical to the "Tom Petty" version. That particular model, has a wider neck at the nut, and some find that a bit easier to play.

[/quote']

I thought that was the 660-12?

I haven't looked at a Ric catalog in a while..

Mark Morford, a columnist for the San Francisco Chronicle, wrote the most truthful article I've yet seen about the whole "tax rebate" scam. Here's a link:

Tax Rebate Scam

Nonetheless, a new guitar is as good a way as any to invest those "nickels." Hope you enjoy!

Archived