Gibson Brands Forums

Your Guitar Hero

SlagJones

THIS guy:

01.jpg

Or as he looks nowadays:

terry.jpg

Terry Haggerty is one of the most original and inventive guitarists ever, with virtuoso chops aplenty and a very individual style. If Hendrix had studied jazz with Tal Farlow and played funk on Mars, it might have sounded something like Terry. He makes it look easy, and seeing him play always makes me want to go home and practice 30 hours a day (or else give up guitar completely!). Why he isn't a household name by this time can only be attributed to the fact that Terry is also a humble guy who's always been more interested in the music than in the kind of self-promotion it sometimes takes to gain widespread recognition. Other guitarists (including Jerry Garcia, Carlos Santana, Steve Lukather, Larry Carlton, Robben Ford and many more) have acknowledged his impact on them. You can hear some of his work on CD's by the Sons of Champlin (Loosen Up Naturally, Welcome to the Dance, or Sons of Champlin Live in particular) or check out his website at terryhaggerty.com. And if you get a chance to see him play live, do it!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Talking just "guitar hero," as opposed to major influences (many) on my personal style, my vote would have to go with Brian May ..... the first 6 or so Queen albums were amazing in the diverse sounds he eked out of his non-Epiphone O:) His Red Special tone is very unique and virtually instantly identifiable.....epic stuff in it's own way !!!

I can remember back in Grade 6, 9 or 10 years old, and one of the other guys in the class brought in Jimi Hendrix to listen to. That totally blew my mind with respect to the kind of tones an electric guitar could produce. Back in the day I really dug the stuff Mick Ronson was doing with David Bowie, especially on Ziggy Stardust and Aladdin Sane. Another guitarist that impressed me in those days was Martin Barre of Jethro Tull.

Well my musical influence was the result of the British Invasion. The Beatles was the wake-up call, but The Who came crashing into the room and Pete Townsend just amazed me. The Who was my first attended concert back in..., let's just say it's been awhile.

I didn't pick up a guitar seriously until 35 years later and obviously more influences made sure that the desire to someday play would not disappear.

Some other that kept the fire burning:

Jimi Hendrix

Alvin Lee (Ten Years After - Woodstock performance)

Steve Ray

Mark Knopfler

Carlos Santana

Eric Clapton

Buddy Guy

BB King

Phil Keaggy (was a local performer with Glass Harp where I grew up)

Joe Walsh (was a local performer with James Gang where I grew up)

and on and on, but Pete Townsend will always remain the one that lit the fire.

First inspiration: George Harrison

Next: Stones, Hendrix, Page, Clapton, Angus, Bowie's guitarists, Edge

Others: Scotty Moore, Lou Reed, Robbie Robertson, Mike Bloomfield, Jerry Garcia, Jeff Beck, Eliiot Easton, Johnny Marr, Robin Guthrie, Buddy Holly, Jorma K., Santana, Peter Green, Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, Freddie King, Bernard Butler, Duane Eddy, Chet Atkins, Link Wray, Cliff Gallup, Brian Setzer, Django, Charlie Christian, Kenny Burrell, Wes Montgomery, Al Caiola, Tony Mottola, Barney Kessel, George Benson, Gabor Szabo, Charlie Byrd...

Off the top of my head - plenty more!

First inspiration: George Harrison

Next: Stones' date=' Hendrix, Page, Clapton, Angus, Bowie's guitarists, Edge

Others: Scotty Moore, Lou Reed, Robbie Robertson, Mike Bloomfield, Jerry Garcia, Jeff Beck, Eliiot Easton, Johnny Marr, Robin Guthrie, Buddy Holly, Jorma K., Santana, Peter Green, Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, Freddie King, Bernard Butler, Duane Eddy, Chet Atkins, Link Wray, Cliff Gallup, Brian Setzer, Django, Charlie Christian, Kenny Burrell, Wes Montgomery, Al Caiola, Tony Mottola, Barney Kessel, George Benson, Gabor Szabo, Charlie Byrd...

Off the top of my head - plenty more![/quote']

Gotta add:

Chuck Berry, T-Bone Walker, Freddie Green, Grant Green, Jim Hall, Herb Ellis, Howard Roberts, Joe Pass, The Ventures, Townsend, Mick Jones (Clash), James Honeyman-Scott, James Brown's 60s guitarists.

Phil Keaggy (was a local performer with Glass Harp where I grew up)

YEAH MAN PHIL KEAGGY !! I'VE SEEN HIM MANY TIMES AND HE IS UNBELIEVABLE BOTH WITH GH AND SOLO. SO MANY PEOPLE DONT KNOW WHO HE IS. AWESOME GUITARIST.

But when you turn them on to him a one word response is WOW!!! One of the smoothest players I've had the pleasure to meet and watch perform.

I'm glad he's not left handed, that missing finger would have played havoc with his fretting.

Archived