Gibson Brands Forums

Collectible experts...Help.

JCoop

I have a '95 LP Custom that I played maybe 5X because local knowitalls tell me it's pretty collectible and rare. So it sits in the case and I have not installed the pickguard.

SN 92825631

So far, I've learned it was made on Oct.19, 1995 in Nashville, TN and it was the 31st guitar stamped that day

It was designated a Premium Plus because of the highest quality bound figured maple top, gold hardware and Grover tuners, in addition to the pearl inlays and polished jumbo frets, etc., etc.

My question is, I thought the Premium Plus models from the Custom Shop were discontinued in 1994, but why the SN designation as a '95? (according to Blue Book of Electric Guitars 6th Edition)

Also, how can I secure a certificate of authenticity from the Gibson Custom Shop?

Thanks in advance.

Thats a very nice axe, I wouldn't say it was that rare or collectable. Its a shame if it just sits in its case, maybe you should sell it and buy another Strat. I have a couple of nice old Squiers that I play more than my Gibsons, only because they are always out on stands though.

Thanks guys. I don't think I'd sell it...yet. The Gibson site FAQ says I'd have to send it to the shop to get a COA copy, especially since I don't have the original receipt anymore. I don't know if I want to do that. I guess if I insure it enough $ it should be OK.

Mark, is there a "Supreme" or are you just paying the axe a compliment? 8-[

That is surely one beautiful guitar. BTW, there certainly is a LP Supreme, although I don't think that is one. You could tell for sure by looking at the back.

Speaking of collectables though, I must say that I kind of get annoyed when I hear of people keeping guitars in thier cases and never playing them because they don't want to ruin the value. It just seems to me like such a waste of wood and electronics. A more appropriate term might be, "unrealized potential". What difference does it make how the pups sound, how good the action is or anything else if it never gets played and no one gets to appreciate it?

I guess that's the trade off for owning such a nice guitar. You want to enjoy it, but when you pay so much money you also want to protect your investment. I think I'll be happy playing my Studio.

Thanks. Hehe, some of us who are not of virtuoso ability simply appreciate the workmanship, artistry, and heritage aspects of the American guitar...: )

I do play my guitars occasionally, even jam with a local band when prodded with a lot of Johnnie Black. Similarly, I have a '66 Ford GT40 Mk I, a race car of 60's LeMans fame, that I enjoy tinkering with and ride around the countryside once in a while; but never race...sits covered in the garage most of the time. I DO get immense satisfaction just admiring the design and the look of this car, although driving it is pretty orgasmic. pretty much same thing with this LP.

I don't have any reference material handy, but premium plus only means you got a figured top. The Custom does not get a figured top normally. The rest of the features you mention are standard on the Custom. You will not get a COA because your guitar was made long before they became standard fare, especially on Customs. COA's were issued with 59 reissues from time to time and with other models occassionally if they were a special run. Then in 2001 they became a standard part of the Custom Shop (CS) case candy. The Custom did not move to the CS as part of their line up until 2003. So only post 2003 Customs would have a COA. Is it rare and valuable, not really. As a premium plus it will hold it's value better than and always be a bit more valuable than a normal Custom. At the end of the day it will never reach the values of the 1950's Customs. Play it and enjoy it.

Archived