Gibson Brands Forums

sanding my guitar

Mr. E

Scraping is a legitimate way of removing poly 2 pack paint .Believe it or not F1 cars are stripped of all paint this way .The paint is heavy stuff and if a car is repainted ,they strip all the paint off and start again .They dont just add a layer This came from Jordans paintman .Anyone fancy a Jordan Yellow Epi .I have a bottle of Jordan yellow 2 pack paint somewhere ,the older proper colour ,not the fluro paint job which was a nightmare to get right involving a tinted varnish

I'm currently refinishing a LP Studio. I couldn't find a stripper that would remove the polyester so I ended up using a palm sander.

studiostripped.jpg

Unfortunately the top veneer came off when I tried to use a heat gun to remove the paint so I had to re-veneer it.

Aircraft coating remover is the only thing that I know of that can touch a polyester finish... You can get it at most auto parts stores.. I've used it once.. It's nasty and messy! I recommend using a palm sander for the top and back and ACR for the sides... Unless it has binding, then you should just sand it all.. ACR will melt the binding..

Yeah, no heat guns with veneer, very hard to control. Unlike what some other have said, I've never had any trouble with gel paint removers to get the heavy finishes and most of the paint off. Then sand, sand, sand. I start with a fine grit paper and move to xtra then xxtra fine. I then apply a coat of sanding sealer, and then go back with the xxtra. The sanding sealer is not absolutely necessary, but I like that is raises the grain and makes certain that you have no pockets (holes) in the grain in the final sanding. I've also found it to enhance the grain pattern on alot of guitars. Good luck !

It looks like you did a real nice job on your Dot 6string !

Archived