Gibson Brands Forums

Does anybody like the China made units ?

When it comes to spending hundreds or thousands of dollars on a guitar' date=' I would prefer my money went to Japan, South Korea, Mexico or the good 'ol USA rather than China. [/quote']

What's your reasoning for that? If Japan, China and Sth Korea were really poor developing countries perhaps you might have case that you're providing a kind of aid to help them grow.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ive been trying a few MIC's at my local Guitar Centers for awhile now as they usually have Many examples on hand.

Theres a bad setup one or two but on the whole the SG's and LP's I noodle with had beautifull fit and finnish work.

I own 1 USA,1 MIJ and 2 MIK's at the moment and the MIC's Epi's easilt felt and looked just as good.

A couple of the LP's were crazy heavy as well. And the Ultra II just felt played and looked amazing.

And honestly unless you buy and Edwards or similar LP tribute youre not gonna get a closer Import copy too the real thing.

Rondos are cool but their incorrect body shape bothers me enough not too buy one.

Epiphone is Essentially and Realistically the "Poor Mans Gibson"

Not a bad thing IMO.

And too assume MIC means inferior is just Ignorance at its best.

China much like anywhere else in the world is capable of producing some fine crafters as well as skilled labor when given the Right tools.

there are many problems I have with china; the quality of the guitars is not high on that list...still prefer

MIK, however (not counting MIJ and USA)

(I can tell this won't be understood, so to clarify, the MIC are fine guitars for what they are...my issues with China

don't have to do with the quality of the guitars)

Mine is an EE model chink LP Std Plus top guitar and its the best ive owned and played. So i like them.

Not sure where my yamaha pacifica was made but the finis quality of that was also awesome just cheap pickups and not the best wood for tonal properties but the best starter guitar out there.

Am I being to picky ? I know the China operation is new to Epiphone but it seems .... well not Korian and definitely not Elitist level build quality .

Definitely not Elitist quality, but then that is why the Elitists cost more. They are built better and have better material.

Are you being too picky? No, you are the one buying the guitar, but to make a blanket statement that Chinese guitars aren't any good, just ain't true. There are good and bad from every plant. I have an EE Dot, EE '56 GT, and an EE DW '57 Jr. RI - all three are great players. Just keep looking and trying them out until you find the one you like. I also have a couple of Korean Epis that are great as well.

I know they all vary, but I've had 3 very good Korean Samick Epis (Sorrento, LP Std, G400). I've also looked at recent Chinese Lps and Dots in music stores, and thought them not as good. However, I just got a Chinese Black Beauty 3 pup, and it really is a beauty. Can't fault any aspect of it.

LOL! Sounds like something out of the first "Star Trek" movie...

"Kirk Unit!"

Weren't they all "carbon based units" in the movie? And the "Creator" was "V-ger"? Our local guitar shops got an "EE" plus top on consignment, and I played it, and got the same impression from that guitar I got from another "EE" plaintop, muddy sounding, couldn't tweak either one from the guitar or the amp (both Marshalls in this case). They played ok, I guess, but I couldn't get around those really dull sounding pickups on both guitars. Even my Korean Classic had weird sounding pickups, which were promptly swapped. I dunno, I wasn't real impressed with the 2 examples I tried...

"YUCK" as in' date=' you're sorry it's in the Pawn shop, or YUCK...you didn't like it?!

"Elitist" versions are as good as anything made, with obvious allowances for the "poly" finishes.

And, even so, some prefer the poly finish, to Nitro. So...

If you don't like Elitist versions, I'd say...yeah, you're being too picky! But, if you do, then

possibly you need to stick with those? Only you, can be the real judge, there! The "Quing Dao"

versions, are generally very good/excellent! So, maybe you got hold of a few "less wonderful"

ones? I don't know... But, they are improving, all the time, as things settle in.

CB

[/quote']

I'm with Charlie. As far as I'm concerned the elitists are the best-kept secret in the guitar world & if you don't like them it's very unlikely you'd like either a Korean-made or a Chinese-made Epi.

My elitist dot is one of the best guitars I've ever played.

I've got a Korean-made LP classic quilt top and a Chinese-made LP 'birdseye maple' Standard that are identical except for the name. IMO, although the Chinese-made Standard is a real good guitar (no complaints whatsoever), the fit & finish on my Korean-made seems a bit better.

However, I'm confident that as time goes by the Chinese-made Epis will continue to improve as did the Korean ones did.

The EE Serialed Epiphones are closer to what Gibson was making in the 70's and 80's.

Give these guitars a chance to age and this may be considered the most memorable era of production ever for Epiphone.

you don't get any closer to the real thing.

Whatever it is you're taking, I want some.

Since Gibson wasn't making veneer-topped knock-offs in the '70s and '80s we'll just ignore the first statement.

Uhh... no. Not in a thousand years. That era ended around 1969 when they stopped US production.

I have one word in response to the last statement. 'Elitist'.

That being said, the current crop of EE G-400s and Studios are simply superb. However for some reason the Standards and Customs seem to be less wonderful. I see a lot of finish issues on both but perhaps I'm expecting too much considering the price point. One thing that baffles me is that black line at the edge of the body binding on the EE Standards. I wish they'd lose that.

One thing that baffles me is that black line at the edge of the body binding on the EE Standards. I wish they'd lose that.

Ummmmm, ...... what black line ??? ....none on my '07 std+ :-

Some surprisingly good Les Paul clones are made in the Korean Agile factory. The top of the line is about $379 (Rondomusic may be the only place who sells them in the USA).

I have one of those Agiles and I agree 110%.

In fact, my Agile compares favorably (IMO) with my Elitist LP and Gibby LP Standard for fit, finish, and playability.

Here's hoping it holds up as long as the others.

Ummmmm' date=' ...... what black line ??? ....none on my '07 std+ :- [/quote']

Ah, well, maybe they've stopped already. I have to admit the newest EE Std I've seen lately is a 2005. I'll grab a snapshot of the line on thursday.

RSDx; I second that. I have an '07 LP Standard Plain Top and I don't see any black line on the bottom of the binding either. BTW, I love my Chinese EPI (EE Serial#). The finish is flawless and it plays great. I thought fast action on my

Sheraton II (I Serial# from Korea, '05; also a great guitar) neck was nice. The one on my LP is even better.:D/

RSDx; I second that. I have an '07 LP Standard Plain Top and I don't see any black line on the bottom of the binding either. BTW, I love my Chinese EPI (EE Serial#). The finish is flawless and it plays great. I thought fast action on my

Sheraton II (I Serial# from Korea, '05; also a great guitar) neck was nice. The one on my LP is even better.

Ummmmm' date=' ...... what black line ??? ....none on my '07 std+ :-k [/quote']

Sheraton II (I Serial# from Korea, '05; also a great guitar) neck was nice. The one on my LP is even better.:D/

The Eastmans are apparently made the way Gibsons were made 50 years ago.

Yeah' date=' Svet can probably chime in, here, on "Eastmans!" What say you Svet?!

CB[/quote']

Hi CB, I can certainly vouch for the quality of the Eastman guitars! They really are first rate instuments and the two I own are just superb in tone, fit, finish and playability. So as you can see I do want more! I know an El Rey is in my future as well as a couple of other Eastman models. Given the proper materials, tools & training any human being can build first rate items. It just so happens it can be done for less $ in China. My beloved Eastman’s:

eastman.jpg?t=1210094136

eastman9106.jpg?t=1210094167

eastman9105.jpg?t=1210094186

eastman9104.jpg?t=1210094209

arch3.jpg?t=1210094242

Did I mention they have the coolest cases too?

eastman6.jpg?t=1210094332

eastman5.jpg?t=1210094350

Have you played one yet CB? If not you really ought to!

No, Svet :>( ...nothing like them, out here in the "Sticks!" Maybe, I can...when I go to

OKC, or Wichita, the next time? I'll have to explore the web, for dealers, there,

I guess? I did hear one, being played, when I was at a Jazz Club, in LA. It had

a great tone, and it's owner, sure seemed pleased with it. That was my

first actual "sighting," of an "Eastman" guitar. It was like your "Sunburst" one.

CB

Archived