Gibson Brands Forums

Does anybody like the China made units ?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure like my EE DOT although its the only 335 style I have. I tried several before I got it and tried to play them before looking at the S/N and country of origin. Works good for me..........J

I love my EE LP Studio, I have gotten the chance to play a few of the other factories guitars. All have been nice except one Dot that I am guessing from the year it must have been one of the last runs from the Korean factory.

The neck was terrible and the finish was not up to par, but it could have just been a "lemon"

All of the EE 's I have tried have been very well made with little if any fault to them. Maybe a Factory dedicated to making only Epiphones will help keep QC top notch and only get better as time passes.

Capt

All I was really saying is it feels and plays as close to a Gibson Les Paul as I could have ever hoped for.

Sorry if I believe in it that much.

No

On second thought

I'm not at all sorry for it.

After seeing the likes of Mark Knopfler hammering away on a 80's model LP Plus in HCB on Live Aid in 1985

it just seems very close to what I see in my instrument.

Even though I'm well aware that my $399 LP Plus Top in HCB is a replica of that certain guitar,

The Gibson/Epiphone Qingdao Guitar factory is churning out the best quality they can for as close a replica as possible.

It is not and never will be a 'Gibson'

I'm well aware of that.

As far as Gibson's wood practices go I've seen many a creative seam in some 70's and 80's models as well as 2nd's and blems that were readily available in those days.

Practices that are no longer the norm for todays Gibson Co., and practices that would be relegated to a secondary company, such as Epiphone.

Just really lovin' on it and believein' in it

and getting carried away.

Boo.

Hi guys, I have an Elitist LP +, a Korean Sheraton, and I just picked up a 56 reissue from MF on sale a few weeks ago.My EE 56 reissue sounds great, but the finish was'nt what I expected. Compared to my other Epis it is poor,it looks like it was refinished , and was never buffed properly. The thing that makes me think it was refinished is the 56 Goldtop TRC. I also got an Epi case and the bottom is coming loose from the sides. I don't really have time to polish my guitars I'm to busy playing them, so for the price I payed for my reissue I'm not going to worry about it. One other issue is the neck has a few small "lumps", but again for what I payed I can live with it. But I do prefer my Elitist.

Actually I have a real problem with China and anyone in this or any other free country supporting them economically through buying their products and here's why:

tibet_execution_2.jpg

fot-logo-1.gif

...and Al's your Uncle and your conscience should be your guide

No offence, but if countries and their political system were an issue I wouldn't buy anything made in USA.

I appreciate and applaud your concern tho. It is atrocious what is happening in Tibet.

No offence' date=' but if countries and their political system were an issue I wouldn't buy anything made in USA.

I appreciate and applaud your concern tho. It is atrocious what is happening in Tibet.

[/quote']

I fully admit I have an equal disdain for what has happened to my country and the world view of it. Hopefully with our new elections in sight we'll be able to reverse the trend and this will once again become a place of peace and ideas to save the world and not allow religious bigotry (belonging to this country's current leaders)and those same methods in dealing with the world to become our method of operation. I believe the powers that be in this country are just as evil in objective as those in China, North Korea or Iran but I' also not so naive to believe a simple olive branch extended will accomplish anything. It's a nasty world in which we live therefore we can't allow evil men with greed as an agenda to control us and take us deeper into their abyss. I believe a change is coming and we'll be once again great and a beacon of hope and freedom for all people...especially our own.

...and Al's your uncle.

I'm all for holding governments and people in power (with actual decision making ability) accountable as long as it doesn't bleed over into racism or any other form of hatred aimed at the people that are forced to live under that rule.

*we* know what I'm talking about.

So I get the gist that China made units arn't up to par ? Epiphone' date=',, Why do you do this to us ? the buying public ?

Do you think we dont figure this stuff out ? Get your Korean operation back on line and stop pinching pennies .[/quote']

I don't know where you got that from this thread, the EE guitars are very much up to par.

i own a les paul made on 203 china, dw(serial) and its great, i just had to restring it and set up right and change the pups for duncans and i love it, a great guitar and for the money is one of he best options on the market

I'm sure that this won't be a popular statement but how did we get from a discussion of the quality of different plants in variuos contries into a discussion of politics and race relations. We all have opinions regarding these very emotionally charged issues, and I am as concerned as any, but I would hate to see this thread deleted because of it.

"nuff said, let's get back to guitar quality comparison. I personally was enjoying this thread until the shift. Many threads have have been locked and/or deleted lately, mine included, because of "non epiphone electrics" discussion. Let's not give the mods a reason to pull this one too.

I'm sure that this won't be a popular statement but how did we get from a discussion of the quality of different plants in variuos contries into a discussion of politics and race relations. We all have opinions regarding these very emotionally charged issues' date=' and I am as concerned as any, but I would hate to see this thread deleted because of it.

"nuff said, let's get back to guitar quality comparison. I personally was enjoying this thread until the shift. Many threads have have been locked and/or deleted lately, mine included, because of "non epiphone electrics" discussion. Let's not give the mods a reason to pull this one too.[/quote']

Your's and mine, bro!

As far as Chinese Epi's...there's a Riviera, listed on E-bay, this evening (5-10-08) where the

seller claims it to be a "Chinese made (Jan 08)" (red) version. Does anyone know about these?

Maybe they're just for the Asian/European market? And, if that's the case, WHY? EE (Quing Dao)

Riviera's would, I dare say, be a popular model, here in America, too!

Questions, questions...

CB

Personally I like these little sidetracks. I must say the mods have been very lenient towards our off topic banter.

How about a poll? Which factory produces the best Epiphone?

DW = Dae Won, China

EA = Qing Dao, China(Acoustics)

EE = Qing Dao, China(Electrics)

I = Saein, Korea

MC = Muse, China

R = Peerless, Korea

S = Samick, Korea

SJ = Sae Jung, China

U = Un Sung, Korea

? = Un Sung, China?

B = Bohêmia Musico-Delicia, Czech Republic

F = Fine Guitars, Korea

CI = Cort, Indonesia?

As I said in my first post since joing the forum a few weeks ago, I just bought a Dot Deluxe with an EE serial number made in 11/07, new from GC, and I am very happy with it. The finish is flawless, neck and action are fast and the tone is good. When I played it in the store against a Gibson es 335 - couldn't see any difference in playability, but didn't really push either for tone.

I don't want to say much more that might incent Gibson to raise the price.

OK Ill admit it , I might be a bit off on my call but...

There Korean builds are worth the money Epiphone charges but not for the China made guitars we got to agree on that.

I hope Epiphone management and assorted penny pinchers there could bring back the Korean builders .

Keep the Elitist line running and make them available out here in buyers world ,there very hard to find . And go back to supporting the smaller sellers . The big sellers gutar mart and such are an insult to us.

I bought an EE-made Super Dot a couple of weeks ago which was made Oct 06 and I cannot fault it - the finish, action etc is perfect. Despite it being nearly 18 months after production the setup was perfect and the strings only need tuning.

I also have a Korean-made (Unsung) Ultra and there is no discernible difference in quality to the Dot.

I owned another Chinese-made Dot about three years (don't remember the factory) and it too had no flaws.

Fingers, I don't know why you're persisting in knocking the Chinese-mades when overwhelmingly the evidence in this thread shows otherwise.

There Korean builds are worth the money Epiphone charges but not for the China made guitars we got to agree on that.

Sorry' date=' but no [b']we[/b] didn't. You must have had a real bad experience with a China made unit to persist in your view. 8-[

Maybe try some Epiphones at another place other than this "mart" you mentioned?

Yes, we don't agree 8-[

No problems with Chinese guitars here, either.

The Les Pauls and G-400s I've seen come from EE have been very good lately.

I'm playing both Chinese and Korean made Epiphones, no problem with either.

You've either had some bad luck OR (more likely) bad or no setups on those guitars.

Archived