Gibson Brands Forums

What will be your next Epiphone electric guitar ?

and Why ? The comment was made on the "First Electric Guitar" thread op'ed by CB., that he didn't ask what your next guitar would be, so I'll pose the question and throw in the epiphone for good PR, , and start.....

Actually my next Epi will be either a TV Yellow G-400 Custom, with Maestro because I have a chance to get one in a barter deal. The next purchase of an Epi I plan to make is the Firebird studio in VS that is supposed to be released soon.

Always loved the Bird tone and have missed having one.

What is your next Epiphone electric going to be?

Not really GASin' for anything Epi right now. Actually, I'm not GASin' for much of anything at all, since I just got a Hagstrom Viking a couple of months ago. I'll eventually start craving something new, but that'll hold me over for a while.

If Epi reissues the SG Jr. they had last year I'll probably buy one. If that doesn't happen anytime soon I'll surely end up buying another G400 some day and sticking some P90s in 'er.

I hope my next Epiphone will be a used Gibson LP instead - an R7, R8 or G0 (from somewhere between 1999-2005)

- or two. :)

The USD is so cheap against euro one should act now, but since I don't have the real need for another guitar I can't seriously think of buying anything right now.

I'm gonna get another elitist LP Custom (antique white) before they are gone. I've got a red wine elitist custom I bought from Lutheran1971 (where's he been lately) &, like all the other elitists, it's an incredibly kick-*** guitar. An incredibly beautiful guitar, too, that plays & sounds spectacular and the quality is superb.

As soon as I sell my house (& if I make any money) there will be a couple of new geets in my house (not all Epis, though).

I'm really leaning towards the EM-2. Although after seeing an original 90's version of this guitar' date=' I'd really like to find one of those. I like the metal look of the new ones, but the originals were just classy.[/quote']

I convinced the boss to order one of these to hang on the wall. Hopefully it'll be in this week and I'll be sure to post a review; I'm looking forward to trying it out.

The Elitist LP Customs are really going for a song these days, about $1,150 Cdn retail. There's a temptation to pick one up... maybe I'll call the distributor and find out if they have any 'substandard' ones.

Am considering a few options, and would like to hear some opinions on these:

1) ES295--full hollow body, 2 P90s, Bigsby (just in case y'all aren't familiar). A shop here in town has a ever-so-slightly-used one, I'd say near-mint condition, going for $589. Seems a newbie at GC, MF, etc. would go about $750, if one can ever find 'em.

2) '56 LP Goldtop replica--been hearing good things on this site about this 'un. Price is right, too!

3) and, to drift slightly (?) from the question, a Gibbie faded double cutaway '60 LP Special replica at my local GC for $579. I've always thought this configuration was always so cool-looking, in a bare-bones kind of way. Action seems real nice.

Are you getting the idea that I'm looking for some P90 action, here? Very perceptive of you. I suppose the Wildcat should be an option here, too, but I haven't seen one around to try out.

Have been playing acoustic blues mic'ed (Epi MB AJ500RC 12-fretter & '70's steel dobro) )for a looooong time, and would like to stretch out. Have a Epi P6E to trade in, which was my plug-in-option guitar, but I don't like the action, as it turns out (sounded OK)--not a fingerpicking box, much. Am thinking the 295 might work for that role as well as going with full-electric band. Am not really experienced in the ins and outs of playing electric, so some input would be most welcomed.

One more thing, and I'd like your input on this, too. Seems to me that few are satistied with Epi's stock humbucking pickups. Most everyone who posts on here who gets a model with HBs rave until they get to talking about the pups; then it's always along the lines of, "...great, once I replaced the pups with...(whatever)." Conversely, this does NOT seem to be the case with the Epi P90s. Am I correct here, do you think? And is it an accurate assesment of the quality of Epi pickup models?

Thanks for reading and for whatever you come up with.

bloozeguy, the Epi ES-295's I've played have played and sounded mighty nice. $589 is a decent (not great) price for a used one --- unless it includes a hardshell case, in which case (heh!) it's a good deal.

If I bought another Epi, it would likely be an Elitist Broadway or Elitist SG --- unless I stumble across a great deal on something else that strikes my fancy (Matsumoku-era Emperor? Riviera 12-string? Emperor Regent?) But for now there's nothing (Epi or otherwise) that I'm especially GAS-ing for.

Last month I was sure my next Epi would be a Firebird. But now it might just as well be a LP Custom, or LP 56, or a Wildkat. Interestingly enough I never cared much for semi-acoustics, but I really like the look of the Wildkat.

I'd definitely be a Dot, probably in Cherry. When I bought my Strat last spring, it barely won out over the dot. Mostly the Strat won so that I'd have the contrast between my LP Deluxe's mini-humbuckers and the Strat's single coils. These days the Dot is in competition with a Tele, but I'd bet the Dot will win.

Ultimately, I'm a blues guy deep down... Dots are great for blues.

I'd definitely be a Dot' date=' probably in Cherry. When I bought my Strat last spring, it barely won out over the dot. Mostly the Strat won so that I'd have the contrast between my LP Deluxe's mini-humbuckers and the Strat's single coils. These days the Dot is in competition with a Tele, but I'd bet the Dot will win.

Ultimately, I'm a blues guy deep down... Dots are great for blues. [/quote']

That'd be why my main 2 guitars are my Strat and my Sherry !

Yeah' date=' I bought a "Highway One" Strat and "Texas Tele" both, when they were barely 500 bucks. So GLAD I did...

But, I love my Epi and Gibson semi-hollow bodies, too! They compliment one another, not compete!

At least, to my way of thinking!

CB[/quote']

Nuff said !

Archived