Gibson Brands Forums

What guitarist do you belive is the most underrated?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah' date=' you wonder why, too...Jeff Beck is awesome...I sometimes feel like he's the "Miles Davis" of Rock

guitar players.

CB[/quote']

I don't think Jeff Beck is underrated, neither is Jimi, Eric, David Gilmour etc.

Peter

I would agree Beck' date='Clapton,Hendrix etc....get plenty of attention...same with the Fab 4.[/quote']

No argument there, really...I was just responding to the idea that Jeff doesn't seem to get

as much mention, here, as some of the others!

CB

HAVE to mention Terry Haggerty! He was (and still is) decades ahead of his time for originality, an identifiable style, and frighteningly-good chops that always serve the music.

Betcha hardly anybody here has heard of him, but players like Steve Lukather, Carlos Santana, all the S.F. "psychedelic" players (Jorma, Garcia, Cipollina, Gurley, Gary Duncan, Barry Melton et al) have acknowledged him as a musician's musician who knocks out other guitar players every time they hear him.

The late Terry Kath of Chicago is another one who comes to mind. Hendrix himself praised Kath as "better than me," but his name isn't nearly as well known among listeners as it should be.

Stephen "Cat" Coore of Third World, Johnny A., Tuck Andress, Brian Setzer, Derek Trucks, Harvey Mandel are some others.

Gary Moore...Johnny Lang...and Adrian Belew who grabbed my hand ,from the stage,totally drenched me by dripping sweat It was really hot in there,and he'd started of in a shirt.. tie.. jacket...still a great show...I forgive him for Tom Tom Club!!!!

George Harrison! IMHO. Not flashy...EVER! But' date=' what he contributed, was "perfect" for the song! The Beatles, his or other's!

Can't do better than that!

CB[/quote']

This is exactly what i think....

The late Terry Kath of Chicago is another one who comes to mind. Hendrix himself praised Kath as "better than me' date='" but his name isn't nearly as well known among listeners as it should be.

[/quote']

Kath has been gone a long time, man. One of the best. What was he 18 ?It always gets me when guys with that kind of talent end their own lives. It just goes to show that talent doesn't = happiness. Same with Danny Gatton, one of my favorites. I knew Danny a little, great guy when he was drinj=king, sober he was depressed as you can get. He would have to drink to pull out of the depressions. After so many years of the cycle, he didn't want to drink anymore so he hung himself in his barn. He was a local boy. Our paths would frequently cross, along with his keyboard player from Redneck Jazz, **** Heintze, one of the best I've ever know. **** died around 80 after a long battle with ALS.

That's awesome and from my country....thanks for reminding me about the Tielman brothers.

One of the few guitarplayers Jan Akkerman is respectfull of. And that says a lot.

This guy was playing guitar behind his back, in his neck, with his teeth, with his feet, twirling the guitar, tapping harmonics, double picking, playing in stereo, and cutting his speaker up to get fuzz. It boggles the mind he did some of that stuff 2 decades before Hendrix. He's probably the first to have played Gibson Les Pauls and Fender Stratocasters in Europe, mainland anyway.

Archived