Gibson Brands Forums

What guitarist do you belive is the most underrated?

Kath has been gone a long time' date=' man. One of the best. What was he 18 ?It always gets me when guys with that kind of talent end their own lives. It just goes to show that talent doesn't = happiness. Same with Danny Gatton, one of my favorites. I knew Danny a little, great guy when he was drinj=king, sober he was depressed as you can get. He would have to drink to pull out of the depressions. After so many years of the cycle, he didn't want to drink anymore so he hung himself in his barn. He was a local boy. Our paths would frequently cross, along with his keyboard player from Redneck Jazz, **** Heintze, one of the best I've ever know. **** died around 80 after a long battle with ALS.[/quote']

Danny was an extrodinary guitar player.....I had to pick my jaw up off of the floor every time I ever saw him play!! I think the loss **** and Billy Windsor sent him even deeper into depression unfortunately. When guys like him and Kath take their own lives it's such a tragic waste......I can only imagine what Kath would have done had he lived longer....he was such an innovator.

My favorite Gatton memory was at a Berklee College of Music show with an audience full of guitar players sitting cross armed waiting to be impressed......well Danny delivered in spades and I swear you could hear a collective "Holly ****" when he stopped playing!!! It was awesome!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, for me it has to be the guitarist from whom I stole most of my style that I doubt many (if any) of you have heard of- Harvey Mandel.

Layboomo- kudos on the Steve Morse shout-out. He has to be one of the top 10 best alive.

Layboomo- kudos on the Steve Morse shout-out. He has to be one of the top 10 best alive.

No arguement from me there tulsaslim.......Monster Player!

Here is one that may raise an eyebrow or two.....Frank Zappa although a bit out there, was an awesome guitar player when he wanted to be! I think he was a genius when it comes to arranging as well. Just look at some of the kats who respected and played with him....George Duke, Steve Vai etc..etc...! They all say that he challenged their skills Bigtime!

Danny was an extrodinary guitar player.....I had to pick my jaw up off of the floor every time I ever saw him play!! I think the loss **** and Billy Windsor sent him even deeper into depression unfortunately. When guys like him and Kath take their own lives it's such a tragic waste......I can only imagine what Kath would have done had he lived longer....he was such an innovator.

My favorite Gatton memory was at a Berklee College of Music show with an audience full of guitar players sitting cross armed waiting to be impressed......well Danny delivered in spades and I swear you could hear a collective "Holly ****" when he stopped playing!!! It was awesome!

Great story layboomo ! I saw several similar type experiences with Danny and other guitarists. Alot of folks used to b.t.h saying the Danny couldn't play without the Magic Dingus box that he and his dad built that controlled his echo plex Leslie speed, and several other effects. So he stopped using it ! Needless to say, no one said a word after that. Truly virtuoso guitarist, I have to this day never seen anyone with the chops Danny had in so many styles of music. I miss him.

Great story layboomo ! I saw several similar type experiences with Danny and other guitarists. Alot of folks used to b.t.h saying the Danny couldn't play without the Magic Dingus box that he and his dad built that controlled his echo plex Leslie speed' date=' and several other effects. So he stopped using it ! Needless to say, no one said a word after that. Truly virtuoso guitarist, I have to this day never seen anyone with the chops Danny had in so many styles of music. I miss him.[/quote']

Yeah Dingus box or not you have to have amazing chops to do what he did....I mean playing "Well You Needn't the Monk tune with a half empty bottle of becks and making it look like childs play.......try it sometime!! The only part I can do right is the half empty Beck's!

Three of my favorites, yet criminally underrated:

Buckethead. The guy is weird, and way out there, but his playing grabs me. Some criticize him for his weirdo schtick, but I'm not so sure it's an act :-k

David Lindley. This guy can literally play anything with strings on it, guitar, banjo, fiddle, bazouki, saz, oud, you name it. He's been making tasty world music for decades.

Bill Frisell. He just keeps getting better and better.

tung

"Baby Batter?"

CB

Yes, indeed, CB. "The Snake" & "Shangranade", too.

First heard of him when I was passing through Louisville in 1972 & saw a marqee on a theatre for Roy Buchanon & Harvey Mandel. I went to hear Roy since I'd never heard of Harvey. I gotta tell you that it was the most memorable performance I ever saw & changed my playing forever.

In the years since, Harvey has released many albums that are a collective POS but those three albums mentioned above were years ahead of their time.

Harvey Mandel --- good call! Not only have I heard of him, I've even had the honor of being on the same bill with him a few years ago. "Cristo Redentor" still sounds great all these years later! =D>

Tonhinho Horta from Brazil is another one.

Well, "Baby Batter" was an eye opener, for me as well. And I loved The Snake, and Shangranade, too.

But, I can't seem to find (and to be honest, keep forgetting to look) them on CD. I suppose Amazon will

have them? It would be nice to "Crank those up," again, on the old stereo system, now that I'm in a house

with few neighbors close enough, to complain. LOL! Thanks, all...for the reminder. May have to do that!!

CB

That brings back a humorous memory (for me, anyway)...about that Woodstock performance. At the beginning,

when he's introducing the song "I'm Going Home," he makes slight off the cuff remark "by Helicopter" (referencing

all the "stars" being brought in and taken out, of the festival, by helicopter) right after

the song title. Being unfamiliar with that song (up to that point), and probably under the "influence" as well, at that time,

"I" thought he meant the name of the group they were "Covering" was "Helicopter!" LOL!

One of my more enlighten friends, had to explain it to me, when I was in a better condition...;>)

That brings back a humorous memory (for me' date=' anyway)...about that Woodstock performance. At the beginning,

when he's introducing the song "I'm Going Home," he makes slight off the cuff remark "by Helicopter" (referencing

all the "stars" being brought in and taken out, of the festival, by helicopter) right after

the song title. Being unfamiliar with that song (up to that point), and probably under the "influence" as well, at that time,

"I" thought he meant the name of the group they were "Covering" was "Helicopter!" LOL!

One of my more enlighten friends, had to explain it to me, when I was in a better condition...;>) [/quote']

Don't feel bad CB, I've had to have a few more critical things than that explained to me when I was in that conditon a long, long time ago !!!!!!!!!

Yeah, somebody named DANNY KIRWAN. He is very underrated for the reason that people who don't know Fleetwood Mac well think that everything they hear is Peter Green, meanwhile a great part of the guitar work actually come from Danny. I've seen that many people think Peter is playing the solo on Jigsaw Puzzle Blues.

Peter is indeed the greatest, but Mac would never had been the great band without Danny.

Archived