Gibson Brands Forums

What guitarist do you belive is the most underrated?

Let the record clearly indicate- I am not a country and western guy, but I'll have to add Roy Clark to the list. He is incerdibly technically proficient

and he can play just about anything. I'll also add in the many Nashville studio guitarists that ard just out of this world.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let the record clearly indicate- I am not a country and western guy' date=' but I'll have to add Roy Clark to the list. He is incerdibly technically proficient

and he can play just about anything. I'll also add in the many Nashville studio guitarists that ard just out of this world.[/quote']

+1 Man...any of those tele guys can smoke most Rockers!!! All of the Hellicasters for example.....mofo's all of em!!

+1 Man...any of those tele guys can smoke most Rockers!!! All of the Hellicasters for example.....mofo's all of em!!

Our sound man/board op was a session player before Michael Twitty hired him as a rhythm guitarist. He sits in with us on several songs and it just always amazes me, he can turn on the Nashville sound and I just have to shake my head.

Yeah' date=' somebody named DANNY KIRWAN. He is very underrated for the reason that people who don't know Fleetwood Mac well think that everything they hear is Peter Green, meanwhile a great part of the guitar work actually come from Danny. I've seen that many people think Peter is playing the solo on Jigsaw Puzzle Blues.

Peter is indeed the greatest, but Mac would never had been the great band without Danny.[/quote']

Alot of the time it is hard to tell the difference between Kirwan and Greeny. Check out the "Live At The Boston Tea Party" series of CDs. It's like some kind of four handed beast is playing two guitars at once. At least to my ears that's what it seems like.

Also don't leave out Jeremy Spencer. He did do some pretty cool slide work.

Wow, a lot of guitarists I was going to mention have already been mentioned... But there's one I've always considered to be underrated that hasn't come up yet...

Alex Lifeson

I think he's always been in shadows of Geddy Lee and Neil Peart and never got the props he deserved an incredibly versatile and innovative guitarist..

Alot of the time it is hard to tell the difference between Kirwan and Greeny. Check out the "Live At The Boston Tea Party" series of CDs. It's like some kind of four handed beast is playing two guitars at once. At least to my ears that's what it seems like.

If you look on YouTube for either Danny Kirwan or Peter Green you see and understand what each brought to the band. Danny was known more for melodic lines and vibrato. It is a real shame how both of them, as well as Jeremy Spencer, turned out.

This list could get really long Bluesstringer...You ever hear of a guy called Magic Slim and the Tear Drops? One of the greatest unknown blues men of all time.

I sure have Cujo...I intentionally haven't mentioned alot of the old blues guitarists that were not mainstream except in the blues world to keep the list reasonable. Alot of them actually played vintage epiphone archtop acoustics.

We'll have to see what happens to this thread.........Maybe I'll add some of my obscure favs !

I sure have Cujo...I intentionally haven't mentioned alot of the old blues guitarists that were not mainstream except in the blues world to keep the list reasonable. Alot of them actually played vintage epiphone archtop acoustics.

We'll have to see what happens to this thread.........Maybe I'll add some of my obscure favs !

Please do! The obscure stuff is fun.....everybody knows the mainstream guys anyhow.....just my $.02.

Derek Trucks, although he has been compared to Duane Allman, and I must concurr with that observation, close your eyes, and yer hearin' Duane, the guys incredible!

Derek Trucks' date=' although he has been compared to Duane Allman, and I must concurr with that observation, close your eyes, and yer hearin' Duane, the guys incredible![/quote']

I saw a clip of him playing Little Wing with Clapton and his solo gave me chills.....just beautiful phrasing and tone. He is awesome agreed!

Public TV station up here was having a fundraiser thing, and they were giving away tickets and DVD's and stuff like that for big pledges, and during this thing they were showing the Allman Brothers with Derek and Warren on the guitars (Haynes is another one underrated) and those two meshed so perfectly, it was scary how those two guys sounded! My only complaint about Derek is he needs to move around a little bit, no emotion whatsoever, but that aside, he was channeling Duane in a really big way! My wife even commented on how he sounded!

My only complaint about Derek is he needs to move around a little bit, no emotion whatsoever, but that aside, he was channeling Duane in a really big way

Yeah but thats part of his charm really...there isn't a pretentious bone in his body and he's a monster! I kinda like that about him....i mean I just don't see him in red leather pants and sunglasses ala Steve Vai doing the whole "Dig Me" thing.

One guy I knew said that the Hellicasters were like three country & western Steve Vais in one band :- I think he meant it as a compliment. LOL

tung

My only complaint about Derek is he needs to move around a little bit' date=' no emotion whatsoever, but that aside, he was channeling Duane in a really big way

Yeah but thats part of his charm really...there isn't a pretentious bone in his body and he's a monster! I kinda like that about him....i mean I just don't see him in red leather pants and sunglasses ala Steve Vai doing the whole "Dig Me" thing.[/quote']

I like Derek, but I still think he needs a few years.... Duane would be it for me most days over him. Trucks is going to have (God willing) alot more years to develop than Duane had though.

I have always tried to go to the G3 shows whenever they're anywhere near me because I love both Satch & Vai, but I'll have to admit Vai's 'posing' does get on my nerves. Joe, on the other hand, is totally unpretentious. And that's something I've always liked about him.

I have always tried to go to the G3 shows whenever they're anywhere near me because I love both Satch & Vai' date=' but I'll have to admit Vai's 'posing' does get on my nerves. Joe, on the other hand, is totally unpretentious. And that's something I've always liked about him.[/quote']

I don't know why but this came to mind about the posing and stuff...cracks me up!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_PNgIK6Uc0

This is hysterical Layboomo ! Some of the obscure or at least less thought of that you asked for were:

Gatemouth Brown

Jessie Mae Hemphill

Robert Nighthawk

Luther "Guitar Junior" Johnson

Booby Barnes

John Cephas

Johnny Littlejohn

Mostly old Chess and Ace recording session players except for obviously Gatemouth and Jessie Mae. I first saw her play on the "Mister Rogers Neighborhood" TV show 2 or 3 decades ago ! She has a rare distinction of tbeing the ony blues recording artist ever to appear on that show............Impressed ? LOL

Archived