Gibson Brands Forums

What guitarist do you belive is the most underrated?

This is hysterical Layboomo ! Some of the obscure or at least less thought of that you asked for were:

Gatemouth Brown

Jessie Mae Hemphill

Robert Nighthawk

Luther "Guitar Junior" Johnson

Booby Barnes

John Cephas

Johnny Littlejohn

Mostly old Chess and Ace recording session players except for obviously Gatemouth and Jessie Mae. I first saw her play on the "Mister Rogers Neighborhood" TV show 2 or 3 decades ago ! She has a rare distinction of tbeing the ony blues recording artist ever to appear on that show............Impressed ? LOL

That's fun stuff...I know of all of them except.......Booby(Bobby?) Barnes and John Cephas......I saw Gatemouth Brown play before he died and Luther "Guitar Junior "Johnson lives in the New England area if I'm not mistaken....he has played around here quite a bit at various blues festivals and club dates. Blues and Mr. Rodgers there's a combination for ya.....hehehe... sounds like a saturday night live comedy skit doesn't it? There is so much history in that group of players and the players they influenced who in turn influenced many of the rockers we all know....I find this stuff very interesting. I always learn something I didn't know when I look up these people.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is hysterical Layboomo ! Some of the obscure or at least less thought of that you asked for were:

Gatemouth Brown

Jessie Mae Hemphill

Robert Nighthawk

Luther "Guitar Junior" Johnson

Booby Barnes

John Cephas

Johnny Littlejohn

I love Gatemouth Brown...man that guy could play! Jimmy Johnson is also a relative unknown that smokes on the guitar...

Gatemouth on youtube

That's fun stuff...I know of all of them except.......Booby(Bobby?) Barnes and John Cephas......I saw Gatemouth Brown play before he died and Luther "Guitar Junior "Johnson lives in the New England area if I'm not mistaken....he has played around here quite a bit at various blues festivals and club dates. Blues and Mr. Rodgers there's a combination for ya.....hehehe... sounds like a saturday night live comedy skit doesn't it? There is so much history in that group of players and the players they influenced who in turn influenced many of the rockers we all know....I find this stuff very interesting. I always learn something I didn't know when I look up these people.

It is Booby. He owns/owned a club somewhere in the Delta, I can't remember where (not my better days back then) Great payer of both guitar and harp. He would play with his teeth, behind his back, duck walk, you name it. His style is very much like and is compared to Hubert Sumlin, although even more taditional, I'm not sure if he is still around.

John Cephas was from the Bowling Green, Va area. Delta style, learned playing Christian music in Church and at house "rib" parties. He was primarily a fingerpicker that played in tunings no one could usually figure out. Combination of standard and open tunings. He was also referred to as a blues "caller". You know, the guys that would play a short progression and then call out some lyrics.

I love Gatemouth Brown...man that guy could play! Jimmy Johnson is also a relative unknown that smokes on the guitar...

Gatemouth on youtube

Yeah, I love Gatemouth as well. He used to come to Md. every year as one of the headliner for an all weekend Blues festival. The festival started in the 80s at an equestrian center, but moved many years ago to Sandy Point State Park on the Chesapeake Bay Beach. He would play sets but also host workshops. I really loved both his blues and zydeco stuff.

Yeah' date=' I love Gatemouth as well. He used to come to Md. every year as one of the headliner for an all weekend Blues festival. The festival started in the 80s at an equestrian center, but moved many years ago to Sandy Point State Park on the Chesapeake Bay Beach. He would play sets but also host workshops. I really loved both his blues and zydeco stuff.[/quote']

Great clip...and how about that big guy blowin sax.......nice stuff!

Great clip...and how about that big guy blowin sax.......nice stuff!

Yeah, that's a big boy blowin that thing. It is a great clip, did you watch the one with Canned Heat ? Very good clip, excellent use of an old non-reverse Firebird. Bob "The Bear" Hite didn't know what to do with himself but "bop" to the music. (not a pretty sight !) I used to a kick out of those guys.

Archived