Gibson Brands Forums

Using 2 Epiphone Valve Jr's on 1x12 Celestion Vintage 30 cab?

Hey guys,

Im proud user of all Epiphone products. I was looking for a small tube amp to carry around with me on tour this season and next. I have heard nothing but good reviews of the Valve Jr. Cut backs are, you cant hear them on live stage. This sucks, cause i hear it gives off vintage tones and massive cleans. Its what im looking for. Would go with the Fender Blues Jr or Peavy Valve King 112 combo but i hear they cant touch the sound of the Epi's. Sorry for all the questions.

I was thinking would it be possible to run "2" Valve Juniors to one Cab? Would this generate at least 10w instead of 5w. What would be the wiring involved?

Could you possibly use a Valve jr as a pre-amp in front of a solid state to give it a slight tube bit?

Im a fan of low wattage "tube" amps and love the tone. Tone plays a big part in my music as for anyone else. I had a Vox AD-30 that was 30 watts tube pre-amped, but thats it. It was sick at the tonal possibilties but it had to many selections for my taste. The cleans where nice but low in volume. From what i here the Epiphones overdrive themselves after about 12 oclock. Thats a plus.

The main thing is im just trying to get the Valve Jr tone on live stage and be able to hear it. Im just lead rythm so all i use is a Boss DS-1, Delay/Reverb pedal, and Volume control. I have heard that the Overdrive pedal would boost the volume, but would it be enough to hear on stage with a drum set.

Eqip:

Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500RNS

- L.R. Baggs iMIX pick-up

Squier Custom II Vintage Modified

- Duncan Design pair of P-90's

myspace.com/jesusavesinners

622ministries.com

anewdayisrising.com

Well I'll start off with "I've hear vintage tones and massive cleans"; don't know where you head that from but it wasn't anyone connected with a valve junior... couldn't say 'massive cleans' on this little guy... But Massive Vintage tone.

You can't bridge the amp's so a 5watt amp is a 5watt amp... you can certainly use two amps into a stereo speaker cabinet but they would still be 5watts into each speaker, so still 5watts not 10

Well I'll start off with "I've hear vintage tones and massive cleans"; don't know where you head that from but it wasn't anyone connected with a valve junior... couldn't say 'massive cleans' on this little guy... But Massive Vintage tone.

You can't bridge the amp's so a 5watt amp is a 5watt amp... you can certainly use two amps into a stereo speaker cabinet but they would still be 5watts into each speaker' date=' so still 5watts not 10

[/quote']

Would the tube screamer boost the volume some more or would it make it sound more overdriven?

Im use to acoustic playing sorry lol.

naw.. tube screamer will just overdrive more..

There are mod's you can do to these little guys to 'clean' them up and brighten them up.

But you'll have to get your hands 'dirty'.

It's been asked over and over again: "Can I gig with the little VJ"

Answer would be no you can't do Woodstock on this guy by itself, but all but the cheapest of venues the amp will get mic'ed and put through the PA.

The most commone use for live playing I hear on vj owners is probably taking it to church service.

that should give you an idea of how low the clean volume is.

Just imagine pastor bob standing next to ya.

Two of them would definately give you your minor club gigs.. 200 people or less, low volume, no subwoofer kinda gig.

A loud gig of that size would mean definate micing.. in fact, I think most people play louder than my bands ever did, so you can

even take all of this with a grain of salt.

clean volume at home, garage practice, and then not hard rock esp. certainly not metal.

great recording wise. then you have some very nice cleans, but not at volume.

Even 15 watts might not do it. it's hard to tell without knowing your full band line up and type of music.

you can certainly use two amps into a stereo speaker cabinet but they would still be 5watts into each speaker, so still 5watts not 10

Two five watt amps = ten watts. You cannot run two heads into one speaker, however.

You can gig with this amp, if you're willing to not have truly clean tone on stage, and if you mic it. You will not achieve truly clean sounds at stage levels, and in all but very small venues, you will have to mic it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have used a valve jr into a marshall 4-10 enclosure for about 6 months and I can get manageable clean tones. Use single coils and don't overdrive the front end, or use the volume knob with humbuckers. Mic it up or use a red box between the head and cabinet to the board.

• 6 months later...

You can't bridge the amp's so a 5watt amp is a 5watt amp... you can certainly use two amps into a stereo speaker cabinet but they would still be 5watts into each speaker' date=' so still 5watts not 10

[/quote']

maybe the epiphone so cal cab or the triggerman cab and use it in stereo 5 watts for each pair of speakers... i guess you could also stick some new tubes in with lower harmonic distortion (it's less "dynamic" sounding, but louder before it breaks up)

or maybe you could wait for the valve senior head? i think it's supposed to be around 18 watts...

Archived