Gibson Brands Forums

IF you could have but ONE guitar, Which would it be?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok here is a different type of answer to this question.

If I could only keep one guitar it would be my Hofner President. Not because it is the most flexible, or the most fun to play, but because it was my first guitar, and it was given to me by my Uncle, when I was 11 years old.

Because of this it means more to me than my Fenders or Epis.

If you rephrase the question as - you are going to play a variety of styles of music at a gig (say in the backing band at a singer's talent night), but you can only take one guitar, which one would it be - then I would go with my Nashville Power Tele.

ICH

[

If I could only keep one guitar it would be my Hofner President. Not because it is the most flexible, or the most fun to play, but because it was my first guitar, and it was given to me by my Uncle, when I was 11 years old.

I have thought hard about this post and it would have to be my Ric350 with an accent I put on it. I had that guitar years ago at Beatlefest in Chicago where we were one of the bands that played a full set. By accident the drummer and I ended up eating dinner with Harry Nilsson.

I had brought my guitar with me as I didn't want to go back to the room to get it before our set and Harry saw the case and asked if he could borrow it. He spent about an hour playing it and showing his piano player the songs he was going to do that night so they would be in the right key.

When he gave it back he told me thanks and "You know John had one just like this" and winked at me.

I played that guitar forever before getting my others but that's the one that can't be replaced and is always in the stand at home.

Which LP model is that?

It's not. That' date=' my friend, is the 'Chelsea' prototype, hand made by Brian Monty. It is made in the tradition of a '59 Les Paul, with the long tenon etc., and the parts are pretty much all Gibson (the 15:1 Gotoh tuners are from a 1994 Samick Epi LP Classic) with Burstbucker I and II pickups and nickel hardware. But the shape is somewhat different.

[img']http://www.marantatech.com/Graphix/overall.jpg[/img]

...Brian really knows how to do a nice 'washed cherry' burst.

Byrds1965...What a great story! I'd keep it, too!

Yeah. The piano player was Drew from the band Liverpool he was the only one that year that came over to play piano for Harry.

Both really really nice guys. The drummer and I were already seated and the hostess just sat the two of them right next to us. Harry saw the case and asked what is that? I told him were were playing a set tonight too as we knew he was the main event.

He asked if he could borrow it and ran through a few songs for Drew so he knew what they were going to be doing.

We talked about an hour but I avoided asking any stupid questions so when he returned the guitar and thanked me, he gave me that line and wished us luck with our set.

Drew played it a few minutes and told me he owned several but this one seemed to play in tune better so I told him it was the 350 with the longer neck and he said yeah I thought the neck was longer.

Still have their autographs where they thank me for all my help.

That was my first real main guitar and I played it all through college on stage and a couple years after. When I started buying other guitars and caught GAS that one was semi-retired. I play it every now and then but it never leaves the house anymore. It the only one I could never replace.

Fender USA tele with a 4 way ,its the most versatile .of course I also love my Dot but stuck between the two I would have to pick the tele as it will play just about anything I like to play .I hope I dooooooooooont have to make the choice .Also Fenders are so agricultural that you can do just about anything to one ,pickup wise ,weight wise ,neckwise etc .An adjustable spanner I believe someone called them .

My modified Telecaster Custom FMT.

Neck and bridge pups are SD humbuckers and there's a push-pull on the tone pot to split the coils. The bridge is a Pearly Gates Plus. In between I've fitted a Kent Armstrong humbucker with seperate on/off switch.

On single coil setting it sounds somewhere between a Tele and a Strat. One vol and one tone keeps it all nice and simple. Construction is dead solid; mahogany neck and body, set neck, blue flamed maple top. Slim 60s profile neck, jumbo frets. Body is about half normal Tele thickness and sculpted like a Strat. Construction-wise, more like an SG, but better balanced. Best attempt to cross the good points of Gibsons and Fenders that I've come across.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j24/antwhi2001/guitars%20over%20the%20years/100_1112.jpg?t=1210702382[/img]

As much as I (and I'm sure everyone else) loves all their guitars, if I could only own one electric I think I'd have to go with a Stratocaster due to it's versatility of tones. As has been said by others, you can make a Strat sound pretty much like an LP, but you can't make an LP sound like a Strat. I have around 16 guitars, but love the fact that my best friend has an Epiphone ET-278 that he bought in the 70's and has never wanted another guitar. He loves his Epiphone. Wish I could be that loyal.

Hey' date=' I want to change my vote. I thought it had to be one that we already owned. Now we're talking Gibson Custom Shop Tangerine Burst stuff.[/quote']

OOOPS, Too LATE! LOL! (Just kidding)...I seem to change my mind,

constantly. But, "Strat's" are sure hard to beat! Oh...I DON'T know...

who's idea WAS this subject/thead, anyway?!!! Oh..it was mine#-o

After considerable thought, it would be a Gibson ES 335 in standard sunburst, like my first "true" guitar from 1965. If the Elitist Dot had block inlays, I'd probably just save my lunch money for a year and buy it. But my Sheraton II Reissues are about half of that guitar, and I certainly cannot feel that they aren't enough guitar for me.

I may put a pair of Seymour Duncans on that AlleyKat of mine. I really like that guitar.

If I had to grab one and run out of the house in a hurry, it would be my Epi LP Custom Flametop. That's the truth, and it should make the forum moderator proud. Uh, I'd leave my Gibby Studio behind. No, I wouldn't. I could sell the Gibby and and buy two new Epi's...what was I thinking about?

I've been watching this thread and get "sick" with the thought of de-GASing. So, I'll do it slowly and then I'll be able to get through it without heaving on my keyboard.....lol.....Narrowing it down, I'd hold on to three then one by one get to THE KEEPER:

3. Out of the three, my Epi LP would go first with my kicking and screaming. No! No! No!

2. My $5.00 Mexican gut string that I've had for 46+ years would go next, but only with me in a straight jacket and a Hannibal Lecter face muzzle.

1. THE KEEPER: Would be my Strat. I can get anythng I want from it AND, yes I'll admit it, I have fallen asleep with it in my arms! lol... BUT TRUE!

Without question the most versatile guitar I've ever played and I think, will ever play.

Birdseye001.jpg

RotcanX - That Chelsea - Wow -

If I could have one of my favorite guitarist's axe??? Give me JP's favorite Tele that he made sound so incredible in the early recordings..................J

Archived