Gibson Brands Forums

IF you could have but ONE guitar, Which would it be?

STRAT hands down.......he runs for cover......it's just my "go to axe" I love all the others too' date='but if I could only have one....it would be a strat.[/quote']

Yeah, I'd have to go with the Strat also. It's just about the most versitile guitar out there. Love my strat.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't believe no one's said a '59 burst yet. I would think many of the LP players would die to have one of those.

As for me, it would come down to either some form of LP ('59 RI (My skills are no where near being able to even touch a real '59), '57 GT, or Standard), or the Angus Young Sig SG (my avatar.) :-

I can't believe no one's said a '59 burst yet. I would think many of the LP players would die to have one of those.

As for me' date=' it would come down to either some form of LP ('59 RI (My skills are no where near being able to even touch a real '59), '57 GT, or Standard), or the Angus Young Sig SG (my avatar.) :- [/quote']

In all honesty....if I had a 59 burst I'd sell it and by a stable of "Nice Guitars" , a few vintage amps and take a year off with the rest of the money.......it's a freakin' Les Paul.... close your eyes and you can get the same tone for alot less zeros! 250K for any guitar is just plain silly.

A month ago I would have answered my Strat or Tele, but with the recent acquisition of a Elitist LP, my previous answer is being questioned!

I'd love to see a head-to-head test, Epiphone Elitist LP vs a Gibson LP Standard, Classic, or whatever. I think the Elitist can hold its own!

No kidding...I don't think I've ever seen him with a "Tele!"

I know Albert Collins used a Tele' date=' almost exclusively...it was

his signature "Ice Pick Collins" sound! That, and a Fender

Super Reverb, for the most part. But, I didn't know about

BB with a "tele!" Any photos?

CB[/quote']

CB - It wouldnt totally surprise me, Muddy played a tele regularly in the early 70's and I do have picture of that with Pinetop Perkins in 71 and 72.

Yeah, I knew about Muddy and some of the others, but I had never heard of

BB using a Tele?! But, stranger things have happened! Must have been

way before I was "aware" of him. I think, in all honesty, his "Live At The Regal"

Album, was my first real serious encounter, with BB. Where I grew up, you were

force fed "Corntry" music, whether you wanted it, or not! LOL! In some cases,

that was just fine, but I (personally) was a bit more interested in Dylan, The Beatles,

(and the rest of the British Invasion), which is where I, like a lot of "white" America,

really found out, about our own "Blues" music, ironically. So...maybe when BB was

"Tele-ing" it, I was still totally "unaware?!"

CB

I've searched through a bunch of my old "living Blues" magazines and I can't find anything that show him with anything other than a 335, 345, or 355 or the more current versions of Lucille. There's one old shot with him playing what is either a Gibson Super 400 or an Epi Emperor, I can't be sure. One of my favorite pics of him is the one with him and EC sitting on their Fender Twin blackfaces. Maybe the pic of him with a tele was some sort of fleeting promo or something ?

+1 all the way Tuk' -- cut my teeth on a Str**t copy & couldn't wait to move up to a big boy's instrument: My Epi LP Elite. Still have the Str**t but hardly ever touch it. When/if I ever learn every nuance of my Les Paul and can move an audience the way Jimmy does me and millions like me..., well not likely to happen but I work on it every day (and it's truly a labour of love!!!).

Terrific photo: Didn't think you would mind my "revisiting" it

Simple. . .this one. =P~

Jimmy_Page.jpg

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

Oh, If I could only keep one, it'd be a heartbreaking moment but nonetheless this is the one that'd remain:

pickups.jpg

...mind you I'd really miss the Elitists but if push comes to shove you gotta keep the Monty.

It doesn't do everything well, but it does enough to make it the most versatile guitar I've ever layed hands on. To give you an idea, for my taste, the les paul model in it doesn't sound as good as the Epi LP custom, but it sounds better then the Gibson LP studio. Pretty subjective, but that's about the only way to discribe it. Being able to switch from an electric to an acoustic model in less then a second also gives it high marks for me. build quality (MIJ) is excellent. If I could only have 1 guitar that would be it.

Well if forced to have only 1, I'd probably opt to keep my highly modded Hagstom Swede only beacause of the many sounds I can get out of it.

It has a set of custom wound triple bucker blade pickups with every possible ombinaiton of the 6 blades available vial toggles and push/pull pots.

It's a bit confusing to use but the tonaly combinations are endless.

No kidding...I don't think I've ever seen him with a "Tele!"

I know Albert Collins used a Tele' date=' almost exclusively...it was

his signature "Ice Pick Collins" sound! That, and a Fender

Super Reverb, for the most part. But, I didn't know about

BB with a "tele!" Any photos?

CB[/quote']

Yep, on page 17 of the Duchossoir's book "The Fender Telecaster", there's a pic of BB King with a blackguard Esquire.

And here's one I found on the net:

f24178hxvup.jpg

Archived