Gibson Brands Forums

Fillin' in the blanks

jcwillow777

I need some help. I got the headboard glued on the neck okay, but I need to fill in some of it so it doesn't look like my dog ate it. I don't excpext it to look perfect, just better than it does. I'll paint it black and then put some poly on it. What would be good to use? I dont' want to strip the headboard down.

Thanks

SGProjectGlued.jpg

I need some help. I got the headboard glued on the neck okay' date=' but I need to fill in some of it so it doesn't look like my dog ate it. I don't excpext it to look perfect, just better than it does. I'll paint it black and then put some poly on it. What would be good to use? I dont' want to strip the headboard down.

[']

Ooo..that looks like a nasty whack. Can't tell exactly from your photo, but it seems that the plastic headstock

overlay plate cracked and that's what you are trying to even out? If it was mine, I be using some black epoxy

and sand that down to even out the cracks.

There are also lacquer sticks available, (Stew-Mac sells them as a kit, but the kit is too expensive for a one time fix. You should be able to get lacquer sticks at a furniture repairer, maybe H-D and make a alcohol lamp out of a baby food jar and a cloth rope for a wick. Heat a flat knife, then with the hot knife apply a bit of the lacquer stick and spread it out.

Sand lightly with wet/dry #400 then some #600 if you can find it, then apply a black paint then some poly spray.

Ooo..that looks like a nasty whack. Can't tell exactly from your photo' date=' but it seems that the plastic headstock

overlay plate cracked and that's what you are trying to even out? If it was mine, I be using some black epoxy

and sand that down to even out the cracks.

There are also lacquer sticks available, (Stew-Mac sells them as a kit, but the kit is too expensive for a one time fix. You should be able to get lacquer sticks at a furniture repairer, maybe H-D and make a alcohol lamp out of a baby food jar and a cloth rope for a wick. Heat a flat knife, then with the hot knife apply a bit of the lacquer stick and spread it out.

Sand lightly with wet/dry #400 then some #600 if you can find it, then apply a black paint then some poly spray.[/quote']

Thanks Dan. Actually I bought the guitar with the headstock broken off to fix it. Unfortunately for me, the guitar I got was not what was pictured. The guitar pictured showed the headstock broken at the nut, which would have been an easier fix. I'll check with Home Depot. I was kind of hoping there was something kind of liquidy to fill it in that would be easier to smooth out than wood filler.

Thanks again.

EDIT

I just checked Stewmac and they have single lacquer sticks, so I'm in business - thanks.

I would build that surface up with with wood filler and than touch up the paint with black automotive spray lacquer, feathering in the finish and then polishing. The nice thing about lacquer is that it will stick to anything. You could also try polyurethane but the lacquer dries a lot faster.

Thanks Spud. I just threw a little wood filler in and it looks a lot better already. I'll put another coat on tomorrow night after this one sets up and maybe get it done this weekend. I'll post some after pics for sure.

Gettin' closer:

SGProjectfilledin.jpg

Yes you can use wood filler ,but ,on that some simple plastic body filler works

very good ,just did one last night looked worst then your.

was going to use wood filler ,learned it doesn`t like to stick to plastic very well

so body filler took the place.Then like they said lacquer paint will finish the job

a simple buff all done

simple plastic body filler works

Another product, Minwax High Performance Wood Filler, is real good. Dries fast and hard but not too hard to sand. Bondo has a similar product but I don't know the name.

Archived