Gibson Brands Forums

Carved top curvature

Ricochet

I understand the Chinese Qingdaos have better looking carved tops compared to the Korean models.

How obvious is this? I'm assuming it's slightly thicker? And how does it compare to the Gibson original?

I understand the Chinese Qingdaos have better looking carved tops compared to the Korean models.

How obvious is this? I'm assuming it's slightly thicker? And how does it compare to the Gibson original?

Hmmmm, interesting question.....I have no idea, haven't held a Gibby since '78 or '79, have never seen a Korean Epi ....my '07 Qingdao Epi carved top doesn't seem anywhere near what I'd consider "thick," but then again, I have no frame of reference...:-

Yeah, I don't know either. I DO know, that my '76 Deluxe has a less pronounced carving, than my recent "Classic Plus!" (Both Gibsons)

So, how the Quing Dao versions, compare? And, to which era, of Gibson, as well? Don't know...be interesting to find out,

though, if I wasn't so FAR away from any decent music store! ;>b

CB

I've heard this claim before and I don't know if there's a real measurable difference or not, but I'll tell you this: my Honeyburst EE LP LOOKS more carved than my Transamber Saein LP. It may just be that the center of the Honeyburst looks more pronounced because of the finish itself (being two-tone as opposed to the single color amber), but I don't sweat the comparison too much since they're both great guitars.

The honeyburst EE LPs really look a bit more pronounced, I noticed that when I tried one and without looking at the headstock (*blush*) mistook it for a Gibson for a moment.. Could have been just my imagination, I have an ebony Saein LP Custom myself which isn't very deeply carved either.

Archived