Gibson Brands Forums

Zakk Wylde Epiphone questions...

rpedro

just wanted to say hi, and I just picked up a Zakk Wylde Epi, and am so excited!!! I am just learning how to play, and wanted a decent guitar to grow into... I have always liked this model, so I decided to give it a shot... I will post some pics asap... I was wondering what model Dunlop pick Zakk uses, I have read the Dunlop Tortex 1.5mm on some sites but not sure... Anyone know??? Also does he actually use his strings or the Dunlop ones???

Any other help/advice would be great!!! Thanks!!!

ZW has been known to use both GHS and Dunlop strings, depending on the guitar (he has a few, you know).

Have you already tried GBZWs (11-60) or even GBZWLOWs (11-70)? Those strings just rock, my #1 choice for heavier rock and squeal. 11-60 is quite safe to try but for the 11-70 I think you need to do a complete setup including the nut for the .070 E string.

If you want to play like him, here's a secret tip for advanced ZW imitation: look at the rings on his fingers on his right hand ...

If you're just learning how to play, I'd opt for 010s. Probably standard on your guitar anyway. Besides no need to (change)set up of your guitar, it's a lot easier to develop your vibrato and finger-strength. A 11-set or heavier will probably yield disappointing results in that respect if you're just starting out IMO.

Hi, welcome to the forum!

Congrats on the Zakk Wylde les paul!

As said above, he probably uses both his signature strings by GHS, or the Dunlop ones. He uses at least 11's, and tunes down 1/2 step, usually.

For picks, I don't know. I think you should go to a store and buy a bunch of different pick sizes, and find the one that is most comfortable for you. Then go and buy a dozen or so of that pick. You should do that same with guitar strings. Every time you change your strings, try a brand or size. Once you've gone through enough, use the ones that felt and sounded best to you.

I'd also recommend 10's on a guitar for a beginner. Using the same picks and strings isn't going to make you sound like Zakk.

Have fun!

Oh sorry, I missed the part of you just starting with a guitar, must have forgotten my morning medication.

Coffee, that is.

And congrats! Sorry for my bad manners.

I truly agree with the gents above. For the first year(s) the 10-46 set is the way to go, until you begin to grow the calluses and you know what you want. Don't be hard on yourself if you can't sound like Zakk, you'll sound like ZW only if you are the man himself.

Thanks for all of the help/advice... I am very impressed with all the great members on here so far... I know I will never sound like zakk, and thats ok he is one of a kind IMHO and an all around great guy... I will probably try some of both types of his strings and see what's up... I will stick to 10's for now... I was just curious what he uses on his epiphone... I am thinking of trying out the Dunlop tortex picks and I will see what size is best for me... I am also looking at buying that limited micro stack amp he practices on, but was also looking at either a mini portable amp or a set of headphones/setup... for now anyway...

Picks can really affect your sound. I was playing my LP ULTRA yesterday using different gauge picks, even a light thumb pick.

With heavy a heavy gauge pick, you loose brightness or presence on your bass strings. Lighter gauges restore the brightness. My thumb pick actually had the clearest sound.

Sometimes we critize the instruments for sounding a certain way.

Try experimenting with different gauges and you will be amazed by the difference in sound coming out of your amp.

If you are playing heavy metal, you may not notice the difference though.

Good luck.

I was wondering if someone here knew of a really good mini amp or maybe even a good headphone setup I need something to hold me over until I get my zakk micro amp... Hopefully under $100 for now... Thanks again...

Picks can really affect your sound. I was playing my LP ULTRA yesterday using different gauge picks' date=' even a light thumb pick.

With heavy a heavy gauge pick, you loose brightness or presence on your bass strings. Lighter gauges restore the brightness. My thumb pick actually had the clearest sound.

Sometimes we critize the instruments for sounding a certain way.

Try experimenting with different gauges and you will be amazed by the difference in sound coming out of your amp.

If you are playing heavy metal, you may not notice the difference though.

Good luck.[/quote']

I totally agree, but when starting out, it becomes a moot point. When beginning, use the one that is most comfortable to you. I still use the one that is most comfortable to me, Dunlop Jazz III, and I set my guitar controls and amp controls to the way I want it to sound.

I got a used Line 6 Pod at a pawn shop the other day for $99. Look around at pawn shops, and try to get the salesman to come down on the price if it a little out of your range. I get the best deals at a local pawn shop because I give them alot of buisness.

Also, I use the Tortex 1.14 picks that you are talking about. I like them alot, but I play with 11's or 12's for electric and 13's for acoustic. Like the others said try different guages and see which one you like best.

I was wondering if someone here knew of a really good mini amp or maybe even a good headphone setup I need something to hold me over until I get my zakk micro amp... Hopefully under $100 for now... Thanks again...

First of all, where are those pics!!!! Oh yeah, I can't recommend the Roland Micro Cube enough.

dont take this the wrong way m8 but dont just buy stuff becuase it has zakks name on it or because he uses it, the zakk micro am is probably a marshall mg? if so they are crap, buy something like a vox ad15 or a roland cube and avoid the mg

First of all' date=' where are those pics!!!! Oh yeah, I can't recommend the Roland Micro Cube enough.[/quote']

EDIT : When I first read Micro Cube, I thought you just meant the Roland Cube! I would totally go for the Roland Cube Amp, because they are great practice amps with good tone, but also good built in distortion. As stated before the Micro Stack probably won't give you the tone you are looking for. This was the amp I was talking about, that's only $100. http://www.roland.com/PRODUCTS/EN/CUBE-15X/index.html . If you decide to forgo the Marshall then I think you should go with one of these.

And also +1 for pics, love ZW LP's, gotta show that thing off! Congrats on the guitar! :-({|=

dont take this the wrong way m8 but dont just buy stuff becuase it has zakks name on it or because he uses it' date=' the zakk micro am is probably a marshall mg? if so they are crap, buy something like a vox ad15 or a roland cube and avoid the mg[/quote']

+1 I just sold my MG30 as it was garbage bought a Vox ad30 to replace it heaps better amp

I will most probably pick up a Roland micro cube... they are new for $100!!! hmm now black, white or red... :) also my pics are taken, but I need to put them on here asap for you guys to see... thanks again for all of the help... bear with me and my noob ways...

I don't know if he actually uses them but he does have them in his arsenal...

Well yeah' date=' he has the Gibson Custom Shop doing anything he wants for him, I think any Epiphones in his arsenal are just a myth.. He owns the first 5 Gibson ZW Signature Bullseye LPs and gigs with the #3, #4 and #5, though.

Edit, SORRY! He does have an Epiphone banjo.

[img']http://www.blacklabelsociety.net/gear/misc/epiphone_banjo.gif[/img]

I don't know if he actually uses them but he does have them in his arsenal... The roland 20x is only $30 more than the 15x so should I go with that ??? Thanks

Nah man don't buy the 20x...if its only a practise amp the 5w wont really make a difference. If you really want to, it might be better to get the Cube 30.

Archived