Gibson Brands Forums

GFS pickup wiring

JLM777

Hey guys, new here and a problem brought me, lol. I am going to install GFS 59's in my epi dot and had a question. There is only the red wire on the neck and the black on the bridge, but the GFS has a copper, black, green, and a pre soldered red and white. Howe do i splice the new GFS with the stock wiring? I know this is looked down upon by some, but I got the tip from Dan Erlewine's video on youtube. Thanks in advance guys.

i am splicing at the pickup though' date=' so the red/white is out, now where do i go with the black and green? do i connect them both to the one wire that comes in through the body?[/quote']

Ahmmm that one wire actually has a shield and a center wire..so it would be green to the center wire and black and shield to the shield on the stock pickup wire .....get it? I don't recommend splicing .....I think it's for amateurs but it's up to you.

Edit grammer corected for an anel reteentave membar!

Welcome to the forum bro. If you a re a more visual person, the Seymour Duncan site has a tone of wiring diagrams. you should also find something there that should be easy to figure for the GFS setup. It shouldn't be that different. SD has four lead pups as well, just look at the diagrams for 335 stlye, four lead and you will have it.

Good Luck, let us know what you think of the 59s. I'm planning on putting them in my Sherry in a little while.

Ah but you missed the actual point of my sarcasm, which was referring to someone as an amateur just because he doesn't do it your way. Name-calling is less helpful than explaining why (resistance, etc.) you think splicing may pose problems. That help?

Good Luck' date=' let us know what you think of the 59s. I'm planning on putting them in my Sherry in a little while.[/quote']

I put them in my Sherry and my Dot. I love them. I can get some good bottom end with my neck pickup without being muddy, and the bridge pickup is bright, but not to much so. The Classic '57s are probably better, but at half the price I am very happy with the Vintage 59s.

I put them in my Sherry and my Dot. I love them. I can get some good bottom end with my neck pickup without being muddy' date=' and the bridge pickup is bright, but not to much so. The Classic '57s are probably better, but at half the price I am very happy with the Vintage 59s.[/quote']

Thanks JC, I've heard good things about the 59s and you can't beat the cost.

Ah but you missed the actual point of my sarcasm' date=' which was referring to someone as an amateur just because he doesn't do it your way. Name-calling is less helpful than explaining why (resistance, etc.) you think splicing may pose problems. That help?[/quote']

OK fair enough....The 59's are a very good choice for a replacement pickup in an Epi level guitar IMHO. As RonG pointed out ,there are some issues with splicing the wires together rather than soldering them directly to the pots. If your soldering/splicing skills are not up to par... you could wind up with a cold joint which will greatly reduce the performance of the pickup. Also any time you splice, as clean as it may be it's a compromise compared to a full length of wire.

OK fair enough....The 59's are a very good choice for a replacement pickup in an Epi level guitar IMHO. As RonG pointed out ' date='there are some issues with splicing the wires together rather than soldering them directly to the pots. If your soldering/splicing skills are not up to par... you could wind up with a cold joint which will greatly reduce the performance of the pickup. Also any time you splice, as clean as it may be it's a compromise compared to a full length of wire.[/quote']

I completely agree, Good advice !

Layboomo-thanks for the wiring advice, they are in(spliced and all) and sound great. Thanks for the advice everyone and i would reccomend these for a Dot. Iam sure the 57's sound nicer......but value is also a consideration, thats why I own a Dot and not a 335!

Archived