Gibson Brands Forums

Firebird sighting

jcwillow777

Wow, I just got back from the music store to pickup up a harshell case for a G-400. When I was there the owner was talking about a Gibson Firebird he just took in. The original owner had to have a neck repair done cause the headstock broke off. He had it done in 1981 and he sent it to Gibson. It cost $605 to have it repaired and refinished, he still had the bill from Gibson in the case. Wow, I bought a new Gibson Custom Les Paul in 1981 for $750. At least strings are cheaper now, he paid $6.95 for a set of strings in '81.

But the guitar was beautiful. It was a Johnny Winters Limited Edtion, VS finish with gold hardware and a Maestro. It's not for sale, the owner of the store said he was gonna keep it. Other than the usual gold hardeware fading it looked amazing. I'm sure it would be worth a lot, I have no idea. One thing for sure, even if it was for sale, I couldn't afford it anyhow.

Wow' date=' I just got back from the music store to pickup up a harshell case for a G-400. When I was there the owner was talking about a Gibson Firebird he just took in. The original owner had to have a neck repair done cause the headstock broke off. He had it done in 1981 and he sent it to Gibson. It cost $605 to have it repaired and refinished, he still had the bill from Gibson in the case. Wow, I bought a new Gibson Custom Les Paul in 1981 for $750. At least strings are cheaper now, he paid $6.95 for a set of strings in '81.

But the guitar was beautiful. It was a Johnny Winters Limited Edtion, VS finish with gold hardware and a Maestro. It's not for sale, the owner of the store said he was gonna keep it. Other than the usual gold hardeware fading it looked amazing. I'm sure it would be worth a lot, I have no idea. One thing for sure, even if it was for sale, I couldn't afford it anyhow.[/quote']

I shouldn't admit to this but I passed up a firebird once owned by a Very Famous southern rocker for $550 in 1982 down in Florida that I should have bought BIGTIME...yeah it was beat...repaired headstock etc..etc.. but I don't even want to think about what it's worth now!

I shouldn't admit to this but I passed up a firebird once owned by a Very Famous southern rocker for $550 in 1982 down in Florida that I should have bought BIGTIME...yeah it was beat...repaired headstock etc..etc.. but I don't even want to think about what it's worth now!

Allen Collins?

Allen Collins?

No initials PT!

Pat Travers? No wait' date=' he's Canadian and I don't think I've ever seen him with anything but Telecasters and Melodymakers...hmm....[/quote']

Yes he was born in canada but he spent some time in florida.....Pat Armstrong represented him if you are familiar with that agency...Molly Hatchet etc...etc.. and I worked for the company that did the majority of the tour lighting and sound support for their bands....thats why I call him a southern rocker. Molly Hatchet sound check pic in DC in the early 80's from my tour pics. lightrig.jpg

Pat Travers? No wait' date=' he's Canadian and I don't think I've ever seen him with anything but Telecasters and Melodymakers...hmm....[/quote']

While I never saw him play that guitar live...perhaps thats why he got rid of it...I don't know? And I only remember himplayinfg a Tele, a strat and a double cut JR I belive?

While I never saw him play that guitar live...perhaps thats why he got rid of it...I don't know? And I only remember him playing a Tele, a strat and a double cut Gibson I believe? But I will tell you the guy that offered it to me was a well known guitar dealer in Florida at the time and he had used road cases and gear from lynard skynard,hatchet, blackfoot...bands like that on a regular basis ...so I see no reason not to believe him.

Archived