Gibson Brands Forums

Difference LP Custom, LP Custom shop

kubog

Hey guys! New here ;) . I was just wondering I have 2002 LP Custom Black and it has 8 digit serial no. And as I cas see all Customs now are "Custom shop" and have "CS xxxx" or "x xxxx" form serial number. Is there a difference in quality or Custom shop was launched after 2002? Thank you very much. Greets

Welcome kubog,

OK, I'm going to confuse the h^ll out of you - there are (or were, at least) two types of Customs.

1. Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic.

2. Gibson Custom Shop Custom.

If you have an eight-digit serial number, that means it's a Gibson USA guitar. From what I understand, the Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic is made in the Custom Shop. BUT, technically, it's not a Custom Shop guitar. Confusing, eh?

I have a ES-335. It's also a Custom Shop guitar, but it has an eight-digit serial number.

CS XXXX is used for Custom Shop guitars.

X XXXX is used for the historic, or reissue line of guitars.

Post some pictures of it. For the serial number, try this.

Now, this may not always work, but might be worth a shot...what does your guitar's case say? Gibson USA or Gibson Custom?

Thanks for reply. It isnt Classic Custom. It´s regular Custom with binding on front and back. Serial is 02042xxx. Case is brown USA case, pink interior but I am not sure if the guitar came with it originally.

Here are the shots. I am pretty sure its genuine, logo, pots, bridge, everything ok.

http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/195/dsc01627swq4.jpg

http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/48/dsc01636sdu5.jpg

http://img357.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc01626sstf9.jpg

EDIT : forgot serial

http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/9836/dsc01638slj5.jpg

I went on Gibson's website and found this. Here's the link.

Custom Shop regular production models

CSYRRRR

CS stands for "Custom Shop"

Y indicates the production year

RRRR indicates the guitar's place in the sequence of production

Example: CS10845 is the 845th reg. production CS model produced in 2001.

Your guitar was made on the 204th day of 2002. So, it should follow the CS pattern. If I were you I'd call Gibson, or email them with these pics and the full serial number.

Honestly, I haven't been into Gibson guitars for very long, but seeing a "Made in USA" stamped into the back of a Custom doesn't look right.

In 1977, Gibson introduced the serialization method that we primarily use to this day at Gibson USA, Gibson Acoustic, and the Gibson Custom facility in Memphis, TN. . So I think this is Les Paul Customs that came from normal production, no reedition or something

Yes I emailed them but it´s saturday though. But what I believe is that this is LP Custom from normal production, just simple custom no reedition. Please someone who is sure about this please confirm. Btw great forums guys very hepful and fast =D>

All current Customs are made in the Gibson Custom Shop. But...

The "Les Paul Custom" is made to Gibson USA's specs, using Gibson pots, Nashville bridge, short neck tenon, etc. The "1957 Custom" is considered a Historic model, and is made to Custom Shop specs, using CTS pots, ABR1 bridge, long neck tenon, etc.

Check the Gibson Custom website for a more detailed description of each model.

BTW There is also the "1954 Custom", another Custom Shop spec'd Custom, but I assume we're not talking about this model here.

I don't know about any differences between the current Custom Shop Customs and regular production Customs. But here is some info about my 1991 Custom Shop Custom in case it gives you any info that might help:

- 8 digit serial number but "CS" is not a part of it

- Stamped with "Made In USA"

- "Custom Shop Edition" logo painted on the back of the headstock

Photos

Here is what a Gibson customer service rep said about it:

The serial number is consistent with a model made on the 316th day of 1991 in Nashville' date=' TN(Custom Shop). The Les Paul Custom/400 model was made in 1991-1992 in the Custom Shop. [b']It had the same specs as the Les Paul Custom, but with the Super 400 inlays.[/b]

The pickups that were stock on this model are 490R/498T humbuckers.

Unfortunately, we do not have production totals available.

I played both models before I bought mine. I couldnt see paying another $600 for a re-issue.

I actualy liked the sound and feel of the neck better on the LP Custom.

The re-issue?...Well, they didnt call them fretless wonders for nothing. I didnt like the feel at all.

Im not a big fan of "Factory aged" guitars either.

Awesome! I just got an answer from Gibson.

Hello Jacob,

Thank you for writing. The production of the Les Paul Custom models was moved from the Gibson USA facility, to the Custom Shop in 2003/2004. These guitars are held to the same quality standards. Thanks for the inquiry!

=D>

I'm in the same boat. I bought mine as a "Custom Shop" back in 1995. My serial number is:

5 5549. I have seen some guitars classified as C/S with a number like mine and some with th CSXXXX.

I'm still trying to figure mine out.

Archived