Gibson Brands Forums

Why I like the Epiphone forum better than the Gibson forum...

Notes_Norton

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yikes' date=' not just one but both!![/quote']

I had the Deluxe, Trini was pushing me to get a standard (he calls it the Rock & Roll model) to complete the set. One of the forum members (Gary) gave me a heads up that someone had a Standard on Craig's List in Berkley, so we drove up one weekend, checked it out, came home with it. I actually had an other TL Standard in the late '70s.

I had the Deluxe' date=' Trini was pushing me to get a standard (he calls it the [i']Rock & Roll[/i] model) to complete the set. One of the forum members (Gary) gave me a heads up that someone had a Standard on Craig's List in Berkley, so we drove up one weekend, checked it out, came home with it. I actually had an other TL Standard in the late '70s.

In the 70's I had a cherry red one that I traded away for an EB-3 bass back then and in 1998 I bought a Sparkling Burgundy (my favorite Gibson color as long as it's forty years old) one for $1300 and in 2000 I bought a Pelham blue (with hardly any "green fade") one for $1800. I sold the Pelham blue one in 2004 for $2800 and the Sparkling burgundy one in 2005 for $2200..(all of them were standard models not the Mariachi Barney Kessels ).not a bad turn around...and I did the deals in dark parking lots in towns where I wasn't known so by the time the buyers got a good look at what I'd sold them I was long gone and counting my money lol...they do have a small amount of charm...very small. But seriously folks, even ugly guitars need love. Jerry, you should be commended for your sense of charity and selflessness in giving those poor instruments a loving home...that or you should have your head and eyes examined lol Just messin' with you....

...and Al's your uncle.

To Charlie Brown:

In reply to your reply of my post, I was referring to Guitar Player. I've subscribed to it for the last 13 years or so and have become more and more disappointed. In the last year or so I subscribed to Vintage Guitar. It seems to now be focusing on various players more, rather than guitars and gear, which is what I enjoy reading about. As I stated, the English mags, such as Guitar and Guitarist, seem to focus more on gear and not only high priced and boutique stuff. Years ago there was a magazine called Guitar Shop, that advertised itself as "the only magazine devoted to gear" and it was, pretty much. Wouldn't you know, as soon as I subscribed, it went out of business.

To Charlie Brown:

In reply to your reply of my post' date=' I was referring to Guitar Player. I've subscribed to it for the last 13 years or so and have become more and more disappointed. In the last year or so I subscribed to Vintage Guitar. It seems to now be focusing on various players more, rather than guitars and gear, which is what I enjoy reading about. As I stated, the English mags, such as Guitar and Guitarist, seem to focus more on gear and not only high priced and boutique stuff. Years ago there was a magazine called Guitar Shop, that advertised itself as "the only magazine devoted to gear" and it was, pretty much. Wouldn't you know, as soon as I subscribed, it went out of business.[/quote']

Yeah John...I understand. I've not subscribed to "Guitar Player" since I was a teenager...40 years ago.

I was a new magazine, and one of, if not the first, about guitars, and guitar players! Was interesting, then!

But, like so many magazines, that have to rely on advertising to survive, they seem to cater to the market

that is most likely to BUY the "gear," and buy it in the greatest numbers (lots of "turnover," etc.)... Also,

as in a lot of the other specialty magazines, the articles get shorter, and the advertising get denser.

Unlike when I was a "kid," I can resist "GAS" pretty well, now...although I do have my slips, now and then.

But, back to the point, I don't even recognize, except maybe I've heard the names, MOST

of the players, featured, in GP. So, I'm afraid I'm "past it," and...don't really care. Many other magazines,

and on line places, to get good information, quickly.

Cheers

CB

The UK guitar mags are the only ones I find useful. It's obvious why some of the US guitar mags are wrapped in plastic...you can read all of the useful content in 10 minutes while the wife is trying to find decent tomatoes 2 aisles down.

The mags with the enclosed CDs of the guitars reviewed? All of them seem to lean toward the raspy heavy metal sound. Not much of a help to me when all of the guitars sound like a Dean.

Archived